Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hard tail ideas
  • zero-cool
    Free Member

Twins arriving this autumn mean alpine trips, BPW and days on the big bike are going to be few and far between until they get a bit older and the local riding doesn’t really need a 160mm enduro bike so I’m thinking of switching back to a hardtail again.

I’ve got two options, shift my Alpine 160 as a whole and buy a 2nd hand complete hard tail or just get an old frame and swap the bits over. Only problem is it’s 26″ and a 135mm rear end so a new frame is out of the picture.

It’s only a 12 month stop gap so I’m happy to run a 26 wheeler as it’s for fun not racing.

Any suggestions on a frame that I can boast around Ashton Court, FOD and the like for the next year? Steel or Alu, just needs to be able to hit a few small jumps, take a bit of a beating but still be long enough to pedal XC on.

Ta

Tom KP

jekkyl

I’d be inclined on a 2nd hand frame, default is a soul or a bfe, if you have longer forks then a bfe would suit. You’ll never go back to full sus……. ;o)

Stevet1
    Free Member

Older slackline frame.

StuF

Cotic Bfe still do a new frame for 26″ with latest geometry

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFe26

stevextc
    Free Member

Thinking longer term …. (just an idea)

I just built up an aggressive HT.  At the moment it’s fun for DJ and stuff but also used when I go out with the now 8yr old.  (News flash… should have done this years ago … )

Its a steel jump(ish) frame so not really designed to be light (Old NS Core) but it takes up to 160mm forks but also has a mech hangar…  They do a  lighter Alu frame as well… or something on those lines would let you use everything but the frame and shock (can attach a kids trailer) and still key you play on some DH.

You can pick up different bits as and when…. (I stuck on a brand new Halo SAS wheel for £50 … almost cheaper than replacing the free hub and bearings)

If you keep the frame and shock you can switch stuff back as and when the opportunity arises… but it should see you right for a few years.

Another few years and you’ll be needing to bike-up to keep up with them!

Living where you do … If you’ve seen Simon’s (of Fly-Up’s) 6yr old for example he’s seriously awesome) so it might be 5-6 years and you’ll be looking to bike-up just to keep up with the twins…

stevextc
    Free Member

You’ll never go back to full sus……. ;o)

Unless he wants to keep up with his twins in 5-6 years!

kayak23

I always recommend this so I will again.

Production Privee Shan or Oka. Both awesome frames, both can be run with 26″ or 27.5″ wheels via dropout kits.

Oka is the more pedal friendly, Shan is the beast, though to be honest, I’ve had both and they both ride equally as well.

matt_outandabout

It’s only a 12 month stop gap

Ride what you have.

kelvin

What is the rear hub? Can it be converted to 142 thru?

stevextc
    Free Member

It’s only a 12 month stop gap

Ride what you have.

When I was a father to be I kept asking mates advice.

The absolute BEST advice I got was a fairly distant colleague…

What he said was what his Dad told him…. and I reckon its well worth repeating though I’ll paraphrase….

Basically… you’ll think you plan how stuff changes when you have kids but until it happens it’s like trying to explain colour to a blind man.

Loads of stuff you think will change completely only changes in a minor way yet stuff you think will be almost unchanged can be a fundamental change.

In many way’s trying to plan can be a bit like the “How do you make God laugh…?” .. “Tell him your plans for tomorrow/next year?”

I reckon the 12 month stop gap…. is like telling God your plans for next year but trying to explain it is like explaining colour to a blind man.

The thing I found though is you adapt and enjoy… it might be he’s back at BPW in a year or not…but I reckon even if you do then just hire a bike for the day…  many of us parents might be thinking and smiling thinking a weekend with the boys will end up being a chance to catch up on sleep!

Meanwhile… your best day at BPW or the Alps will likely be eclipsed the day your kid wins their first race… or the first day they send it down GBU etc. (not to mention the 1001 other non bike related things)

Just my 2p worth of course.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hard tail ideas’ is closed to new replies.