Home Forums Chat Forum Hanging a Swing from a Tree

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hanging a Swing from a Tree
  • djambo
    Free Member

I’ve got a good piece of oak i’m planning to use as a swing in the garden. I’ve also identified a good branch to hang it from.

Any pointers as to what rope to use or where I can buy a solid hanging kit? Some quick research seems to suggest hempex rope…any idea where i can buy a kit that will do the job or any other advice?

whitestone
    Free Member

Just avoid this

what the children wanted

alexxx
    Free Member

If it was me I’d hang some static climbing rope over and clip it together at the bottom with a karabiner and then remove it when its not in use.

djambo
    Free Member

If it was me I’d hang some static climbing rope over and clip it together at the bottom with a karabiner and then remove it when its not in use.

Not sure thats going to be an option. The branch is high (it’s going to need a big ladder and some spare pants!) and i’d prefer to have it hung permanently.

whitestone
    Free Member

Err, climbing rope is dynamic, caving rope is static.

BikePawl
    Free Member

Abseil rope is static, lead rope is dynamic.

johndoh
    Free Member

Swing rope is whatever rope you manage to scavenge.

unovolo
    Free Member

Swing rope is whatever rope you manage to scavenge.

Used to be that thin blue nylon rope that you see hanging off the back of builders and scaffolders trucks, normally frayed with a wonky bit of broken branch stuffed in.

Seemed to work well enough as a kid.

whitestone
    Free Member

“Lead rope”? That’s just climbing rope!

OP, get static or low stretch rope otherwise there might be some scraped knees.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

hilarious thread already!

funkmasterp

Climb tree with rope in teeth (using a ladder is frowned upon). Sit on branch intended for swing. Cut rope to length with inappropriate tool (rusty Stanley knife or knife borrowed from kitchen) and tie to branch using knot of choice. Climb down tree (or rope) and attach tyre/plank/bit of tree/seat.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Might be obvious, but a smooth even swing action is dependant on horizontal attachment.

Ever noticed the wonky path of a swing with uneven rope lengths?

mattbee

OP, if you’re anywhere near Portsmouth I’ve got some 10.5 lsk (low stretch rope) you can have. Might have a few paint/mastic stains on it and will only be in sub 5m lengths as it’s retired working stuff so it’s been cut down to make it unusable for actual abseiling.

sarawak
    Free Member

Not sure thats going to be an option. The branch is high (it’s going to need a big ladder and some spare pants!)

Thus speaks a man who has no idea how to get a rope over a high branch!!!

tjagain

to be kind to the tree webbing slings might be better than rope?

timber

You don’t need a ladder, just some strong and light cord with something heavy on the end. Gate hinge seems to be the first thing to hand in the Land Rover usually, a large shackle is more comfortable to throw, but prone to getting stuck.
    Once that is over, you can drag up the big stuff. Big stuff is just for comfort really, most skinny dyneema cord is capable of over 250kg, obviously some loss to knots and stuff.

rossburton
    Free Member

We’ve an old-school swing hanging off the apple tree. Blue nylon rope from Homebase with a loop at each end, then the swing hangs on the bottom loop with a cheap carabiner.

CountZero

Two lengths of rope, tie a loop in each end of the same length, about five or six inches. Tie something fairly heavy, a large nut or similar to the other end and lob over the branch. Put the loose end of each rope through the loop and pull/slide the loop up until it reaches the branch. Undo knots, take wooden board that’s had four holes drilled through, one at each corner, thread rope through holes and tie loose end to the hanging rope about three feet up, making sure each side is equal. This means that the swing seat is supported underneath by the rope and doesn’t pivot backwards and forwards.
    Simples! High five.

bearnecessities

Buy rope.

Realise it’s the wrong rope.

Buy more rope.

Again, deficient rope. For some reason.

Resent tree.

Consult tree about its feelings.

Explain to disappointed child something about dynamic rope.

Have argument with wife about spare piece of oak on the kitchen table.

Buy crying child a kite.

Child gets kite tangled in aforementioned tree.

Child cries.

Wife moans.

Buy chainsaw.

Tree gets it.

Wife gets it.

Enjoy beer with new patio & pergola.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We had a swing with some kind of ‘natural’ hemp type rope. Seemed nice for a year or two before we noticed that that bits where coming off and then the rope snapped when one of the girls was on the swing.
    Not good.

Pre-stretched nylon rope FTW.

yetidave
    Free Member

whats this two rope business? One rope, big knot at the end, maybe with stick pushed through knot. Needs to be low enough to the ground to play stick the knife, or stick or whatever.

johndoh
    Free Member

Used to be that thin blue nylon rope that you see hanging off the back of builders and scaffolders trucks, normally frayed with a wonky bit of broken branch stuffed in.

Seemed to work well enough as a kid.

Exactly! And my kids still find all sorts of rope, string, ribbon etc to make swinging, sliding, hanging, belaying, pulling contraptions. I did treat them to some spring hooks so they can quickly switch between devices though :-)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hanging a Swing from a Tree’ is closed to new replies.