Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Handheld vacuum
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

I know, rock n roll right! I already have a corded shark vacuum which I’m very happy with but I’m after a handheld for very quick jobs. Namely the fact we have seat covers in my van and once the mud dries you end up trying to sweep it out of the door but it ends up sitting on the door edge so an easy to grab vacuum would be handy. Not looking to spend a fortune as it won’t replace the corded vacuum, somewhere around £50 ideally?

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d say it’s worth spending a bit more to get one that does, at least partly, replace the corded. The cordless is great for household cleaning, maybe get the corded out a couple of times a year if there is a big mess. All the cheap ones I’ve tried have been pretty wheezy.

You can probably pick up a second hand Dyson well under budget. The battery lasts a couple of years so people give up them, sometimes even for free on Facebook marketplace. It’s an easy thing to replace for about £18

Another option if you have cordless tools is to get a vacuum that uses the same battery and buy a bare unit. I’ve got a Makita and it’s pretty decent, bit over budget though.

johndoh
    Free Member

If it were me I would start by asking on the local Freecycle group if all you want is a ‘garage’ vacuum.

jaminb
    Free Member

If you don’t mind another cable I would recommend this. I got one for cleaning my boat – I wanted cordless but all the reviews / feedback was that 12v would lack suction.

This is really powerful

https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/800w-grey-2-in-1-stick-vacuum

spooky_b329

Makita is worth a look if you already have batteries

MarkyG82

Was going to suggest the tool system route but others got there first.

z1ppy

I’d happily recommend a shark handheld but looking at market place you can’t even get a (wired) Henry for £50, which would have been my suggestion for cheaper option. I think you’ll need to pay more to get anything worthwhile

oikeith

I retired my Henry from home duties to be replaced by a Dyson animal thing, its great in the house and for the the car seats, but not so great in footwells or other areas that are kinda tight. Henry has been returned to duty for car stuff now as the hose with adaptor can get anywhere.

hooli

I have a Dyson hand held thing (I know not in budget) but when I clean the car after a ride I use a dustpan and brush, works way better than the dyson.

sing1etrack

I’ve just got one of these to replace a dead Dyson. Even though it had been good I couldn’t bring myself to spend £200 on another Dyson so took a chance on the Shark and it’s great – nice and powerful, easy to empty. Slightly noisy and battery life not massive but for £60 it’s spot on.

GolfChick
    Free Member

@sing1etrack thanks I’d seen that one and read good reviews, battery life not an issue as just want it to do a quick job that a dust pan and brush won’t work for or if say I’ve swept the floor into a pile and want rid.

alpin
    Free Member

I’ve got a Makita and it’s pretty decent, bit over budget though.

Which one? One of the handheld ones and one if so, which one?

Looking at getting the small boxy one with the hose and attachments for the van. Already got a load of Makita gear.

nickjb
    Free Member

Which one? One of the handheld ones and one if so, which one?

This one https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dvc750lz-18v-li-ion-lxt-brushless-cordless-vacuum-cleaner-bare/725Kg

Lots of power. Pretty compact. Feels robust and handles building waste.

alpin
    Free Member

Ah… Cheers. Not the one I was looking at.

Was thinking of this….

alpin
    Free Member

Or this…

nickjb
    Free Member

Was thinking of this

Had one of those where I worked a while back. Seemed ok in use. I wasn’t sold on the layout. I quite like how the one I have packs away. It works an extractor for power tools too.

kayak23

I’ve got the one nickjb links to. It’s ok.
    I use it on site for cleanups on carpet and hard surfaces.
    It’s not going to suck a bowling ball through a Mcdonalds straw, but it picks up a bit of wood chippings, dust and that.

I also have the long/upright Makita 18v vac. That’s fairly crap.
    I almost never bother using it.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Lidls were selling “handhelds for quick jobs”, for about £35.
    They may still have some.

Their usp was the rotating brush.

damascus
    Free Member

I bought a Dyson handheld in the sale. At first it was great but the battery has now died and its hit and miss.

With hindsight I wish I’d bought a vaccum that worked with external batteries I could swop with my drills etc.

The price of a new battery is ridiculous

nickjb
    Free Member

Batteries are £18 on eBay. Bit hit and miss so read a few reviews to get a good one. I’ve swapped a couple now and they’ve been good as new.

dyna-ti

Sister bought Mother the shark one and both are very happy with it. Sis has borrowed it as her handheld dyson is rubbish in comparison.

2 Women agreeing the shark is better than the dyson is all the proof anyone needs

GolfChick
    Free Member

@dyna-ti the one that was posted further up the recommendations?

b230ftw
    Free Member

Just get an extension hose for your current vac.
    I pull the mats out, put my vac (Sebo) on one laying down and attach the extension hose which is about 8ft long plus the original hose. I only have to move the vac once after that to do the whole car and the advantage is that the end you are using is small and well away from the body of the machine. Huge suction power and costs very little.

I once used a friends new handheld cordless Dyson machine when I was at theirs on holiday to hoover out the car after a beach trip and it was crap. Too big and unweildy. Poor suction compared to corded and the battery ran out 2/3rds way around the car. Why people buy these things is a mystery.

dyna-ti

the one that was posted further up the recommendations?

I’ve just looked at that link(The £59.99 one) and checked with the sis and no. She said it was a shark cordless stick cleaner anti hair wrap IZ201UK(£180)

zilog6128

I bought a Dyson handheld in the sale. At first it was great but the battery has now died and its hit and miss.

With hindsight I wish I’d bought a vaccum that worked with external batteries I could swop with my drills etc.

The price of a new battery is ridiculous

as above, don’t get an original battery! I got one from the Amazon marketplace seller ASUNCELL-UK, £19 2 mins to fit, good as new.

Having said that, the best hoover we’ve ever bought was the Roborock S5 robot vacuum we got last year! Pops out from his hidey-hole once a day or on demand as needed, trundles round & does an absolutely sterling job. Just have to whizz round with the cordless Dyson quickly once a week to do the bits it can’t get to.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Handheld vacuum’ is closed to new replies.