Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Hand luggage bike parts dos and donts from experience?
  • mrplow
    Free Member

Just wondering what are known no nos for airplane hand luggage?

Would like to carry pedals and brake discs.

I did carry a DHX Air shock last year that got me a bit of attention but was OK.

bruk

Haven’t tried it for years but once had whole crankset, saddle, pedals (pre SPD), stem and bar ends (again dates it really) in my hand luggage.

Don’t think I would manage that again. Might be ok with spares ie mechs etc or maybe SPD pedals but anything else likely to be a no no.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For a simple life? Nothing 🙂
    Tubes were OK anything sharp/pointy/club like could go the way of the bin so it’s a bit of a lottery? No space in hold luggage?

andrewh
    Free Member

Pair of rolled up tyres went through fine.
    you can carry a helmet. You can also wear a hat so if you need to take two helemts you can (24hr race, I needed two)

iolo
    Free Member

Stick the stuff you’re unsure of in your main luggage. Put the same weight of clothes in your hand luggage.
    Problem solved.

andrewh
    Free Member

If weight is an issue wear as many of your clothes as you can.
    I wore my heaviest boots, two pais of trousers, three t-shirts, two jumpers, my coat and a helmet. You go through check-in then take most of it off. Daft, but it beats the weight limits even though it’s the same stuff going on the plane.
    This works well when leaving Birmingham late one October evening.
    however, boots, two pairs of trousers, three t-shirts, two jumpers a coat and a helmet leave one feeling a little overdressed when changing planes in Dubai, 29deg at 7:30am, no cooler three hours later…

johnny5
    Free Member

flying to the alps from liverpool one year, my mates bag was just over the limit, so he took his cycling shoes out and put them in his hand luggage. He was pulled over after his bag wnet thru the xray machine.

the security guards face was absolutely priceless when he pulled a stanley knife out of one of the shoes
    ( why my mate had thought it was necessary to bring a stanley knife i have no idea!)

The situation wasnt helped by the fact that the 2 of us then almost fell to the floor laughing.

thankfully the guard’s supervisor believed our story that it was a genuine mistake and we were allowed to fly.

on a another flight the same idiot tried to bring a large d-lock in his hand luggage and had this confiscated as well…

so, no d-locks and no stanley knives

turboferret

No tools of any description, or CO2 canisters.

Anything pointy would be marginal too these days with the ridiculous rules imposed.

Everything which you think might be a possible in your hold luggage, clothes etc in your hand luggage is a safe bet, as has already been said.

Cheers, Rich

mrplow
    Free Member

The reason I wanted the remainder in my hand luggage was so that I did not rely on both hold bags making it for the first days riding. I used to work offshore all over the place and am used to airlines misplacing my bags or my baggage not making transfers. I can imagine an odd conversation around brake discs…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

single flight, major airline & checked in early should be enough to make it mostly unlikely that things will go wrong and bags missing. I’m guessing the bikes will be the more likely to not make it as opposed to the normal bags.

bland

What if the bike don’t show though, you ain’t gonna be able to pedal rotors far?

mrmo
    Free Member

no zip ties, no CO2.

Quantas don’t mind large bomerangs, to quote “as long as you don’t throw them in the cabin”…

mrplow
    Free Member

Mike/Bland – I agree but I have a transfer. My summer job when at uni was an airport baggage handler and I know how random transfers can be. I also know how bags are treated and don’t want my discs in hold luggage lol

I worry way too much, just I have a lot of personal stress kicking off so trying to plan this a little.

mrplow
    Free Member

Zipties is a funny one. I would never have thought they were a bad idea until you noted. Then it seems pretty obvious! 😯 Lovely world.

clubber
    Free Member

Take the discs off the wheel, wrap well and they’ll be fine in the bike bag. Same for chainrings if you’re paranoid (I’ve never bothered though)

Pedals, I’d leave them with the bike – it’d be a right pain if they got confiscated.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Hand luggage bike parts dos and donts from experience?’ is closed to new replies.