Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hammock insulation
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Looking for a new hammock.
    Is it worth getting one of the ones with the double zip so you can slide in your insulation? Seems sensible enough to me…but what kind of insulation do people find best/portable?

Also…tarp, essential on dry nights? Under trees there’s not the same dew issue so is a tarp always necessary?

I know these questions are all over the ‘net but some good first hand opinions would be a help.

Cheers

lapierrelady

I found a hammock really cold because you compress the sleeping bag against the fabric and then the air wicks the heat away. I had a sleeve in mine into which you could clip the included silver foil mat. This didn’t make things much warmer, so added another 3/4 thermarest type thing inside plus additional down duvet. Then it was cosy. Much easier to get out of bed/ put boots on than a bivvy, but definitely easier and comfier for me to sleep on a mat on the ground.

martymac

DD do an underblanket that attaches to the underside of the hammock, it’s designed to hang loosely so that it doesn’t get compressed when you lie in the hammock. It works.

martymac

Tarp not necessary if it’s actually dry, (has been for days at the very least)
    But makes a surprising difference even on a night when you thought it wasn’t windy.

CraigW
    Free Member

Snugpak hammock cocoon looks neat. It wraps around the outside of the whole thing, so isn’t compressed. Probably not the most portable option.

joshvegas
    Free Member

This is the problem with hammocks, when it gets cold you suddenly have quite a bulky solution.

At battle on the beach a good few years ago an old army blanket in the void was enough to protect me from a pretty decent frost in the morning.

I’ve slept many times without a tarp and only once wished i had put one up because it rained!

Green

I’ve got a UK Hammocks underquilt, makes for a super cozy set up. Before getting that I used a thermarest neo-air sleeping mat, it’s got a rubbery base and stayed in place well, the horizontal air chambers mean it conforms to the shape of the hammock better than others. When using a mat you need to make sure you have some insulation under your shoulda, I use one of those cheap, super thin foil backed roll mats from highlander, set out perpendicular to the neo-air to form a t shape.

Both solutions are bulkier/heavier than my bivi bag set up, but it’s just nicer to sleep in a hammock

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I camped out in my hammock the other day. No tarp and slept on a thermarest mat – was very nice!

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

First night i hammocked even with a 3 season I was cold, despite being too warm in similar conditionsonthe ground.

I bought a dd hammock and underquilt, now super toasty and summer use a super light 1 season bag along with the underquilt.

Full set up for a great price here and drew is a sound guy.

DD All Season Hammock Deal

Greybeard
    Free Member

I have found an underquilt much better than a mat in the pocket. The mat slips out to the side, and even if it doesn’t the side of the hammock is cold.

Although the underquilt is more bulky, in summer I can use just a top bag rather than a full sleeping bag, so that saves some bulk.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Thanks all…looks like an underblanket is the future for proper camping.
    In the meantime, while it’s warm and before I part with proper cash…any recommendations for a cheap, packable insulation pad that works ok with a hammock?
    Cheers

nickname
    Free Member

As mentioned, underblankets are lovely!

I can recommend the OneTigris for a light-weight version. I also have the Snugpak underblanket, but it’s so bulky.

I think that’s the problem with this – sleeping bag + underblanket = bulk…but so so warm 🙂

I didn’t have much luck with the mats, they just seem to slide around.

You may find double-lined hammocks can help with this (the mat can slip inside between the fabrics).

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Cotswold Outdoors have Thermarest solo hammocks for about £15 at the moment. Note that they’re not insulated! They are quite portable though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hammock insulation’ is closed to new replies.