Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Hammering thawed sausages into his table saw. Woodworking content
  • kayak23

Poor little Frankfurters. 😥

Here’s what happens when you ‘hammer’ a sausage into a SawStop table saw blade.

Pretty cool tech this. It’s been around a fair while now and I think is normally retrofitted to existing machines but it seems the company make the whole saw now which I wasn’t aware of.

Mega bit of super slow mo near the end showing a sawblade tooth breaking free from the blade due to the forces involved.

Amazing idea, but I can’t help but think most of these injuries are because in North America at least, they tend to remove the blade guard due to the prevalent use of Dado stacks and saw-sleds.

Still, pretty cool device and amazing footage. 👌

Murray

Very cool

hols2
    Free Member

perchypanther
    Free Member

If it was really that safe he’d use his actual finger.

IHN

If it was really that safe he’d use his actual fingerweiner

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Wow. Especially useful after Brexit when we’ll be able to use dado stacks (possibly).

FB-ATB

If Jackass or Dirty Sanchez were still on, I’m sure they’d put it to the test.

Murray

There’s some photos after real, accidental use on the SawStop website

Ewan
    Free Member

Wow. Especially useful after Brexit when we’ll be able to use dado stacks (possibly).

You can use them now. Most saws you get in the UK don’t have a long enough arbor for them though…

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-trade-8-dado-blade-set-104503

BigJohn

There are certain tools and toys that I know I’m incompatible with. Table saws, chainsaws, nail guns, hang gliders and motorbikes. The SawStop website doesn’t change my mind.
    Having said that, I once found my fingers were getting mighty close to the blade when I was trimming a 15mm strip off a 2.8 metre board with my rail saw, and using my hand to support the offcut.

kayak23

At the college I was at we had a sawblade attachment for the spindle moulder that used two angled collars either side of the blade, effectively putting the blade at a slight angle which you could adjust by rotation.

Called a wobble saw I believe. Because it rotated at high speed off-axis, it had the effect of cutting a groove.

Scary, but clever.

He does. In fact, they’re all at it.

dyna-ti

I’d love a sawstop saw though because it is a safety feature, but I always wondered how accurate the test is.
    As with most here ive used big industrial stuff and in truth you or you hand isnt going to approach the blade a mm at a time very very slowly. the accident will happen a lot faster than that and its the result of a slip or such, but you’d be putting you limb into the blade quite fast

You want to test that thing properly. You switch it on, stand in line with the blade then punch it, because I reckon thats about the speed your hand would be moving at the time of an accident.

All the same a good thing for the lone worker.

hols2
    Free Member

As with most here ive used big industrial stuff and in truth you or you hand isnt going to approach the blade a mm at a time very very slowly. the accident will happen a lot faster than that and its the result of a slip or such, but you’d be putting you limb into the blade quite fast

I think it would basically operate about as fast as an airbag in a car. Your body has to touch the saw to trigger it (it detects conductivity) so you will get a slight nick, but that beats losing body parts.

mahowlett
    Free Member

@dyna-ti the Katz-moses video in the op also demonstrates pushing the sausage at the blade as fast as you can, works pretty well, though you would get a slightly deeper cut.

maccruiskeen

I’ve watched a live demonstration of Festool’s version.

Holey cow its alarming!.

Even though you’ve seen the videos and you know exactly whats going to happen you shit yourself anyway. I think if you unwittingly triggered the blade to retract in normal use you’d have a heart attack… but your corpse would be buried with all 10 fingers. (not Kayak’s corpse obvs.)

The energy involved is spectacular. Its amazing that the mechanism works the way it does but its also amazing that in Festool’s version, with a relatively light, portable compact saw, that the whole thing doesn’t get wrecked. The mechanism itself destroys itself from the shock of the action of stopping the blade but somehow they stop that energy from twisting / breaking the arbor out of  the surrounding structure and the cartridge and blade can be replaced and the saw up and running again in jig time.

maccruiskeen

You can use them now. Most saws you get in the UK don’t have a long enough arbor for them though…

The issue with dado stacks in the uk is we have legislation that requires the blade to stop within a few seconds of the off switch being pressed – rather than freewheeling away quietly for a few minutes like in the old days. A dado stack has too much mass to be stopped like that so when the motors is braked the momemtum of the stack is trying to unscrew itself off  the arbor and can eventually throw the blade off

kayak23

The issue with dado stacks in the uk is we have legislation that requires the blade to stop within a few seconds of the off switch being pressed

Yes, ten seconds is what I used to teach the students at college. There are some exemptions though for older machines I think. We had a Wadkin dimension saw, a 60’s one that had a hand brake lever.

It was a beautiful machine but I always really had to hammer the message home to the students to never walk away from it without fully stopping it. It ran really smoothly and you could easily fail to hear it spinning still.

A lot of the machines(the majority were from the sixties) had electronic braking systems retrofitted to them, but we still had a bandsaw and the dim saw that had hand brakes.

Even though you’ve seen the videos and you know exactly whats going to happen you shit yourself anyway. I think if you unwittingly triggered the blade to retract in normal use you’d have a heart attack… but your corpse would be buried with all 10 fingers. (not Kayak’s corpse obvs.)

Ironically I do have a finger missing. A motorbike made that fall off though.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am in two minds.

1) It really does look like a great safety device.

2) It tips the safety factor in favour of the wood worker, a bit like adding high power sights to a hunting rifle, somehow it loses the edge

Just my thoughts

alpin
    Free Member

It ran really smoothly and you could easily fail to hear it spinning still.

Similar with an old surface planer. Baujahr 1959. Quiet as a mouse when switched off, but it was so smooth it would spin for at least another 2 minutes.

One guy didn’t twig it and leant his hand on it. Seeing someone’s palm stripped gets the adrenaline flowing and makes you a little more cautious /respectful when around proper machinery.

dyna-ti

Saw benches allowing stacked dados are available from Axminster. They’re in the 2018/19 catalogue branded under Axminster trade starting @£1600.

The wobble saw is covered in diploma and degree standard courses. They’ve never allowed the stacked dado. Probably different now, but while they didnt, it was for a very good reason.
    Probably more down to inexperienced operator use up the most of the accidents.

kayak23

2) It tips the safety factor in favour of the wood worker, a bit like adding high power sights to a hunting rifle, somehow it loses the edge

Just my thoughts

You like your woodworking and use of power tools to be…’edgy’?

TiRed

Having just bought a very basic chop saw, and being very wary in using it to cut even modest pieces of wood, that video is remarkable.

Ewan
    Free Member

The issue with dado stacks in the uk is we have legislation that requires the blade to stop within a few seconds of the off switch being pressed

I thought that was only in a work environment? You can do what you want at home.

BearBack
    Free Member

Festool own sawstop.
    Unfortunately sawstop shut down Bosch’s reaxx saw which was a non destructive, lower cost alternative to saving your digits.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hammering thawed sausages into his table saw. Woodworking content’ is closed to new replies.