Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Hambini’s GXP roast
  • endomick
    Free Member

Just watched Hambini totally slate Srams gxp and cannondale, amongst others, offensive but hilarious. WARNING! its not for snowflakes.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

Yes…this…Hambini is ace 🙂

oldnpastit

Telling people they should go and kill themselves makes me uncomfortable.

simondbarnes

I’ve only seen one of his videos. He comes across as a complete bellend.

brownsauce
    Free Member

Although a certified engineer , his is still only 1 persons opinion , not gospel.

and yes his BB’s are considerably better than most brands , but thats because his are custom made costing 2-300 quids a piece in comparison to a £40 mass produced item.

his vids are informative but get a bit boring fairly quick

TiRed

I analysed his wheel rim depth aero data he published a while back. Basically it said deeper is a bit more aero (who knew?). But the noise in the study meant you could not rank any two wheels of similar depths against each other. Despite his best efforts. I’m sure his engineering is competent, but his experimental design leaves a lot to be desired.

That’s not unusual in either science or engineering btw.

Andy

Telling people they should go and kill themselves makes me uncomfortable.

Very much this, and some of the sexist “bucket” comments really put me off as well. Shame as a lot of what says is good common sense. Happy with my Snowflakery here 😁

cookeaa

I agree with much of what he has to say on modern cranksets/BBs and the way certain things are manufactured…

But he strikes me as having the sort of “career limiting” personality some engineers suffer from. Seeing a good 75% of the rest of his own profession as useless **** who he couldn’t possibly work with and having a massive angry chip on his shoulder means he’s only ever going to be able to work on his own doing high-spec bespoke stuff for people who can tolerate him…

Big-Bud
    Free Member

I briefly worked with him when I had a temporary contract with rolls Royce. 13 years ago he wasn’t anything like what he is in his videos and his personal insults are alarming.no idea what happened he seemed genuinely a nice guy bit something had obviously changed .

seosamh77
    Free Member

I do love his stuff, great fun! 😆

kerley
    Free Member

I watched a second one and can confirm it.

djglover
    Free Member

I think his takedown of GXP is very good. He hasn’t always been that sweary. I guess he just does it to boost his views though, I think it’s a good laugh

RustyMac

He has mentioned in other videos that he has autism. Maybe part of his way or remaining professional at work is by letting it all out on the YouTube videos.

Some of his stuff is quite good, and interesting but it does get frustrating sifting through the mire of vile insults.

chakaping
    Free Member

But he strikes me as having the sort of “career limiting” personality some engineers suffer from. Seeing a good 75% of the rest of his own profession as useless **** who he couldn’t possibly work with and having a massive angry chip on his shoulder

Ok, what do we reckon his username is on here then?
    He’s GOT to be a member.

duncancallum

His language and tone are no worse or better than the majority of any shop floor.

Plus I did think it’s a bit tongue in cheek.

Some interesting points though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Act for YouTube hits…..

binman

Have stopped watching as the act has deteriorated…

tomhoward

Swearing and insults I can handle, there’s a time and a place for them.

He just comes across as someone who likes swearing for the sake of it, like a kid who’s just learnt all the words and it diminishes what constructive criticisms he has. Not that I got to them, as I got bored of all the effing and jeffing.

13thfloormonk

WARNING! its not for snowflakes

Haha, as soon as I read this I thought to myself I bet it’s a bunch of completely forced and unnecessary Rob Warner-esque swearing and sexism.

No snowflake here, I still believe that a perfectly timed F-bomb or even C-bomb can be comedy genius.

But he strikes me as having the sort of “career limiting” personality some engineers suffer from. Seeing a good 75% of the rest of his own profession as useless **** who he couldn’t possibly work with and having a massive angry chip on his shoulder

I’ve seen this, guys in my company who are probably better engineers than me and resent my being at the same pay-grade as them, but who fail to realise it’s because they are grumpy, unapproachable arseholes!

crikey
    Free Member

He comes across as someone who has led a sheltered life; straight into job after university. If you speak about people like that in real life you should expect a thick ear every now and then.

Probably quite correct in his assessment of modern bicycle marketing dressed up as science tho.

didnthurt

Enjoying his review of a Time Scylon. He is a potty mouthed prick. But I grew up on a council estate and I’ve worked my whole career on or around building sites so do not really hear his swearing.

Seems to be passionate about bicycle engineering which I think is a positive.

As for being a prickly character, not everyone has great social skills or really gives a f&&k what others think as they believe they’re right.

I am also rather shocked at his bb pricing for a machined tube of alloy with 2 sealed bearings in it.

Life would be dull without folk like him.

crazy-legs

Full agreement here as well.
    Loves the sound of his own voice, never takes one minute to say something when 5 minutes will do and adds in pointless excessive swearing and insults.

A science-y type video like that could actually be quite good but his are painful to watch.

bigdean

But he strikes me as having the sort of “career limiting” personality some engineers suffer from.

Agree, we see this with apprentices alot. Get a job and instantly argue with everything, also in apprentices at good companies who think they are better because of who they work for.

I tried to like his videos but there is a way of saying something is crap and being cutting without resorting to “kill yourself” type comments.

I don’t think hiding behind autisum helps, i’ll be the first to admit i need to know more about the condition but have taught quite a few engineering students over the years who had a diagnosis and all have been brilliant. A challange for one student was the social skill of when to talk and when a joke was taken too far which is the closest i can think of.
    Oh and beliving that news/ top gear is fact (though have this with all students).

pdw
    Free Member

Problem with Hambini is that his swearing just isn’t very good. He’s no Malcolm Tucker, is he?

Shame as I think he’s got some interesting things to say.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I don’t have an issue with swearing but it comes across as a bit affected and try hard – just doesn’t sound natural and different to how it was in his older videos. Presumably a lot of his viewers like the persona he is playing up to though so fair enough

As for snowflakes – he made a sexist joke in a video (made worse because he encouraged his viewers to comment on it) then soon as he got a bit of criticism on twitter about it he deletes his account there and posts another video causing his fanboys to then pile in attacking the woman on his behalf. Who is the snowflake here?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

This, 100%.

And snowflake? Really?.

paton
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

Too sweary and self indulgent for me.

And use of “snowflake”, really? Shall we call you a gammon?

andybrad

I like his videos because he takes a look at things i otherwise wouldnt. I dont like the way he belittles everything. Quite clearly theres going to be a difference in quality due to mass manufacturing vs bespoke products.

His ideas arnt new  https://www.bbinfinite.com/

Im interested to see his bsa threaded BB as he has stated that you cant get the alignment between the 2 cups with them separate and why his far superior bb is one piece. but market forces and all that which he fails to take into consideration for a mass produced item.

I also thought it was nice when he had to adjust one of his bb to fit a frame that was out of alignment as it proves my point.

nickc

Guys pulls apart the design of stuff who can also conveniently sell you a replacement “better” part handily proved by engineering blather from his own shop…with bellendry and swearing thrown in for chuckles

Bloke is surely the very end of of the smallest bell.

stevextc
    Free Member

I like his videos because he takes a look at things i otherwise wouldnt. I dont like the way he belittles everything. Quite clearly theres going to be a difference in quality due to mass manufacturing vs bespoke products.

He doesn’t belittle everything, indeed he admits he can’t make a better custom BB than a cheap shimano at his prices or x10 the cost BUT assuming your frame manufacturer has made some near spherical holes more or less opposite each other.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Having found him over the lockdown and avoiding all the unnecessary stuff on the videos, he does in some ways make sense. Explained to me why my BB30 in my Cannondale frames are bish. Advised on what bearings are decent. Having thought Enduro bearings in a BB was good and suffering continual clicking from the bearings, he advising on not knowing why, but they are known to click. So, this week, i binned a pair and just fitted an alternative to see if that is the problem, which I suspected was as tried everything else.
    Manufacturing in the Far East is cheap. But he is showing that it doesnt mean you get a good product, as the manufacturer still charges a large premium for a product that Joe Average cant see or detect a potentially design/ manufacture issue until it fails and Joe Average gets told ‘no chance, you broke it’ by the manufacturer.
    As for aero stuff. He has points there also. Lots of people cream money for bike stuff without true evidence of it working. If there was evidence of this working, he wouldnt pick holes in this and people would be spending a shed load of money knowing it works from this than word of mouth of someone ‘just flogging stuff’
    Some of his rants are grating, but his engineering knowledge has taught me some interesting stuff, so good for engineering and tiring for the ranting. An hours video could be done better in 20 mins.

Garry_Lager

Quite like him underneath it all, but think he’s going wrong somewhere trying to fit into some sort of youtube personality template. Not that I know much about making YT videos, but the best people seem to keep it real – create something you don’t get from corporate focus-group led entertainment. He has some of that but he’s too contrived in the stuff I’ve seen (plus his stuff is way too long).

Agree about the swearing – turbo cringe. If that is the level of swearing on the UK shop floor then standards have fallen a long way.

stevextc
    Free Member

Not that I know much about making YT videos…
    plus his stuff is way too long

Because the YT monitisation algorithm pays more.

boblo
    Free Member

If he’s that enlightened, why’s he still broadcasting from his garage/2 bed semi in Smethwick? One trick (sweary) pony.

titusrider
    Free Member

I used to find him a little annoying but funny, then he did this:
    https://road.cc/content/news/shockjock-vid-seeks-refute-sexism-claim-reinforces-it-272869

Do not give this douchebag your views and your time

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have never got through one of his vids. They go on far too long and the language is tiresome.

That said, I sam him once on the gcn channel and he came across really well.

crazy-legs

I have never got through one of his vids. They go on far too long and the language is tiresome.

That said, I saw him once on the gcn channel and he came across really well.

Because he’d been instructed not to swear and because it was about 6 minutes at most!

didnthurt

He slates a top end FSA chainset for being badly designed, who knew that FSA were crap? 🤫

Richie_B

+1 for what Thrustyjust said

The spat with Cycling News went way too far but its basis was a criticism of journalists regurgitating exactly what the marketing people tell them. The journalist then hid behind a defence of sexism, which is where it really did start getting nasty on both sides.

I’m in a difficult position on this, he goes way too far with the language but what he is saying about half baked designs and useless quality control are all valid. He makes his valid points too easy to dismiss because of the language he uses.

Having said that, I’ve tried reading Cycling News recently but have given up as without the domestic racing results there is rarely anything of value in it. The reviews seem to pull any punches they may have had and the ‘advice’ or training articles are usually either so superficial they are worthless or focus on the promotion of advertisers. So when it comes to criticising their engineering knowledge it seems like an open goal

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Hambini’s GXP roast’ is closed to new replies.