Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Hambini’s GXP roast
  • titusrider
    Free Member

Richie – have a good think about whether she ‘hid behind a defense of sexism’

I get the feeling she was genuinely appalled and offended by the sexual nature of the insults directed at her. you give the impression you think she ‘decided to be offended’ by the sexism just because she didnt like the video

he showed he was a very nasty piece of work in that episode

(ps pick holes in journalism all you want, cycling weekly dont exactly have a wind tunnel budget, but dont go after the person, especially with sexual and objectifying language)

orangespyderman

I’m with Titusrider on this – I watched a couple of his videos and they are insightful and he knows his stuff. He also comes across as a dreadful arse. I subscribed to his channel and watched it a bit.

I then unsubscribed when I saw that “roast” on the sexism piece. What a horrible person he seems to be – I’ll live without knowing some of the stuff from his videos rather than support him, that’s how he came across to me. It’s not stuff I need, it’s just interesting.

hopster
    Free Member

I watch the Hambini videos because I find them informative. I am so bored with cycling journalist regurgitating marketing rubbish directly from the brands or saying many words, without actually saying anything.

Case in point the last new products video from cycling weekly where the basso bike first look included quoting numbers from the frame with no context. Stiffer, more compliance, etc…blah, blah on road bike reviews is soooo boring. Like anyone riding one could really tell the difference. Changing the tyre pressure would make more of a difference to the ride quality.

I get why the brands do it but cycling is turning more into the cosmetic industry where they make up plainly make up the names of things to sell more to the public.

I recently wrote to Bikeperfect because the freelancer had written a piece about the new Giro helmet and said twice they were an Italian brand. It has since been changed, but I worry that some articles aren’t being checked before they are published because the cycling press want to get content out quickly to keep us engaged. Not criticizing STW BTW as I’ve found most to be properly researched.

Hambini insults everyone who spouts nonsense (not saying he doesn’t sometimes). But he did get singled out when he commented on the cycling weekly piece where he was accused of sexism. The police didn’t take any further action and after seeing the latest video from them on YouTube I have no idea how she can be a technical editor. She is awful in my opinion and that has nothing to do with her sex. She just seems to show a lack of knowledge around by bike technology/engineering.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    titusrider
    Free Member

“he did get singled out when he commented on the cycling weekly piece where he was accused of sexism” – FFS who was the victim here? you saying he was!?

Flouncing off this thread, he is vile lets not defend him

BruceWee

I unsubcribed after his sexism video.

His original point (about the lack of technical knowledge in the cycling press) was valid but then he managed to prove he was massively sexist with his sexism video.

Annoying but I’m not giving misogynists my time or the ad revenue.

damascus
    Free Member

I don’t mind him. It’s helped me understand a lot of technical stuff I struggled with.

Hes convinced me sram cranks and bottom brackets are w@#k and why!

If you want polite, well mannered, well presented stuff there’s loads of stuff out there to watch instead.

He does his own thing, I don’t think he cares if you like him or not. I don’t think he’s trying too hard either, he’s just doing what he does.

I don’t mind a good f or c bomb either. I like his honesty, he tells you what he likes and why and equally what he doesn’t and his arguments are usually pretty good back up by a scan and accurate measurements and bad camera work.

My only critism is he does waffle on a bit. If he could be arsed to edit it would be better but then maybe the rawness is his charm?

nickc

I am so bored with cycling journalist regurgitating marketing rubbish

Sure, but you’re cool with a bloke pointing out mistakes because he wants to sell you something?

But he did get singled out when he commented on the cycling weekly piece where he was accused of sexism.

by “singled out” I take you mean “Got pulled up for actually being idiotically sexist”

BadlyWiredDog

I never really got past the point where I realised he was an utter dick, which took about five minutes, maybe less. Life’s too short.

didnthurt

Anyone used one of his bottom brackets?

didnthurt

Imagine if YouTube was about around 50-100 years ago, maybe we’d have found out loads of cycling pioneering manufacturers and engineers were all c$$$s too.

greeny30
    Free Member

It’s not for snowflakes, surely that’s the best way to get the fake outrage, virtue signalling wet lettuces to tune in, getting offended by the term snowflake, can’t help but laugh at the irony.
    Personally I fast forward most of Hambini’s ranting, especially the screaming of HELLO in the introduction, that needs to stop.
    Yes he’s a bellend, but I can let some things slide due to his autism/asperger’s or whatever he’s got because he has interesting and valid points, I don’t see the bike media pointing out the oval bb shells and misaligned shite we get charged a small fortune for.

Kuco

Found him annoying.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I quite like Hambini. He’s brash and ‘direct’ but I like that. I’m all for offending people. Keeps people honest. The giants in the industry who are happy to sell us overpriced (significantly overpriced) products deserve to be held to account and from an engineering perspective he’s quite good at calling out the BS. But for me the BS about the benefits of a few grams of weight saving here and there, a small improvement in aero performance here and there are not the issue…you pay your money and make your choice….for me its more about the poor execution of the manufacture of the components and Hambini has highlighted the shocking quality of the big expensive bike brands (and I’m a manufacturing engineer originally) so deserve being called out. Pay a premium for a few grams of weight saving if you want…but you are not paying for crap quality…just the opposite.

But he did overstep the mark with his personal comments on the journo’s of the magazine he was focusing on. not just singling out the female in the group, he was harsh on them all personally. No need for that as he had a strong enough case to make just focussing on the BS they were publishing. He could have just called them out for the bull-sitters they ware..but I guess he got carried away in the theatre of the character he created on his channel.

project
    Free Member

HELLO,
    HAMBINI HERE………

Wally

Shouty CAPS – yes but lack of **** indicates an impostor.

dudeofdoom

One time in bandcampSTW Ling turned up 🙂

Actually don’t mind him.

He’s an engineer and talks about engineering and doesn’t suffer fools gladly.

It’s not a bad trait when those fools are selling you Unicorn BS.

damascus
    Free Member

HELLO,

HAMBINI HERE……

No, I’m spartacus.

Although a quick look at your posts and you do like caps lock so maybe you are!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

He’s an engineer and talks about engineering

Being and engineer and being a weapons grade tool are not the same thing.

Infact it probably makes it a bit difficult to work in a team if you actually spoke to/about them and 50% of the population like that.

tomhoward

Being and engineer and being a weapons grade tool are not the same thing.

Infact it probably makes it a bit difficult to work in a team if you actually spoke to/about them and 50% of the population like that.

Indeed. How would folk feel if a colleague who though he was better than you at your job went on the internet and told you to kill yourself, in front of 45,000 others, as he didn’t think you were doing as good a job as him.

terry27
    Free Member

I think we can all agree that  Hambini makes some sense when he is on his home ground of engineering.  His people skills seem to need some rounding at the edges – but then again this is YouTube!!
    You need to stand out to be noticed so maybe his outspokenness is his way of doing that.
    Think for a moment about the SHITE you see on TY for a minute, cats dancing and people creating garden water features…make my brain hurt

nickc

You need to stand out to be noticed so maybe his outspokenness is his way of doing that.

The compartmentalisation of his behaviour (and by extension their own) some folk on this thread are achieving; is pretty eye opening!

oldnpastit

If I talked to people at work like that I would be fired.

danjthomas
    Free Member

I have watched a few of his videos and the science behind what bearings are best to by is good info but ripping apart more affordable bikes is pretty low. Not sure theres much value in it. So what if the bottom bracket on my 2k bike lasts only half as long as one on a 10k frame.

kerley
    Free Member

You can stand out by being a good likeable presenter with interesting videos. The sort of people I subscribe to on YouTube in fact.

scotroutes

The compartmentalisation of his behaviour (and by extension their own) some folk on this thread are achieving; is pretty eye opening!

Say what you like about that Adolf Hitler but he knew how to make the trains run on time.

duncancallum

Clever guy but an idiot at the same time.

didnthurt

Time man of the year in 1938

https://time.com/5573720/hitler-world-influence/

Just saying 🤯

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Time man of the year in 1938

https://time.com/5573720/hitler-world-influence/

Just saying 🤯

Not sure of the relevance, but Time Man/Person of the year goes to someone who most impacted the news. Its not the Nobel prize, frequently it’s the opposite.

The front cover that accompanies Hitler isnt even a portrait, it’s an ink drawing of Hitler as an organist playing an organ of hanging bodies.

didnthurt

Would you all forgive Hambini if he apologised? Or is that it now, he’s a sexist so must be condemned for life?

footflaps

Not sure of the relevance, but Time Man/Person of the year goes to someone who most impacted the news. Its not the Nobel prize, frequently it’s the opposite.

Although he was incredibly popular in the 30s, people were falling over left right and centre to be associated with him (except those who’d actually read Mein Kampf and realised he was unhinged). E.g. Lord Reith (head of BBC) had offered to host the top brass from the Nazis and to fly the Swastika from Broadcasting House. The whole train running on time thing / economic revival of Germany was considered a work of wonder at the time.

NB Fascinating read on 1930s politics…

Would you all forgive Hambini if he apologised? Or is that it now, he’s a sexist so must be condemned for life?

If you consider ‘not subscribing to his Youtube channel’ with being condemned for life, then most YTers have been condemned for life……

didnthurt

Not defending him just interested in some of the comments above about writing him off over his sexist video.

How are we meant to move forward as a society if we can’t allow people to rehabilitate themselves.

cookeaa

Anyone used one of his bottom brackets?

Nobody I know, the whole process seems a bit convoluted and expensive.
    It appears that you need to give him a couple of hundred quid, then post him your frame so he can inspect it and record an hour long video explaining why it’s shit, then once he’s got his content he’ll turn some cups to fix whatever the issue is…
    I assume this process takes a couple of weeks… Who’s got the patience for that?

Being an engineer isn’t an acceptable reason for having an abrasive, misogynist personality.

Being blunt his videos are too long and his personality is just too much work. There is certainly a bit of engineering insight in amongst all the insecurity driven “snowflake baiting” but that sort of shit is a bit old these days. He almost managed to carve a mini YT career out for himself (he guested on a GCN video didn’t he?) but I would expect he’s managed to torpedo that opportunity with his “forthright manner”…

Being the comedy king in your (mostly male?) work environment doesn’t always translate to prolonged interweb stardom…

If I needed one I’d buy one of his BBs maybe, but I can’t say I want to interact with the guy, and I’m not subscribing to his channel (YT still shove it in my feed anyway if course).

damascus
    Free Member

It appears that you need to give him a couple of hundred quid, then post him your frame so he can inspect it and record an hour long video explaining why it’s shit, then once he’s got his content he’ll turn some cups to fix whatever the issue is…

I assume this process takes a couple of weeks… Who’s got the patience for that?

I’ve not bought one but I’ve watched a few videos. The videos are usually as a result of someone buying a bb and expecting a smooth crank spin or not even able to get the bb installed and when they’ve emailed him for support he’s said send it in to me. That’s pretty good customer service.

Sometimes a bike shop will try and install a normal bb and realise how bad the alignment is and send it hambini for a video (the boardman!)

I’m sure the majority of customers install the bb in the normal way we install shimano etc.

Before I watched the videos all I knew about bb was maybe do a bit of prep work to face them. I never even considered the round hole might not be round or not even opposite the other side and the reason your bearing life is terrible is because the alignment is off. I take a lot more notice when dealing with bb now.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Nasty little bully who can not be wrong and resorts to name calling and swearing to appeal to fans… can you imagine going for a drink with him?

tomhoward

can you imagine going for a drink with him?

or having him round for tea?

‘This tastes like ****ing shit because you only got the water temperature to 89.9 degrees. You should kill yourself.’

Not that I imagine that’s too much of an issue anymore.

nickc

Would you all forgive Hambini if he apologised?

Has he apologised?

crazy-legs

Has he apologised?

After his really sexist video,the took it down and did one of those non-apologies; sort of “it was a bit below the belt, sorry if you were offended”.

Which made things worse.

He can’t criticise a product or a testing process or an article without just taking it straight to personal attack. Which is kind of tragic cos I’m sure if he put his points across in a more constructive manner, it’d actually be worth a watch. Oh and if he edited his videos down from an hour to about 10mins!

cookeaa

If you want to watch someone doing “Engineering Criticism” in an authoratitive manner without calling everyone names it’s worth watching the Luescher Teknik channel IMO.

Different topic from Hambini as it’s mostly focused on composite construction of bike parts but his cut-ups with analysis and discussion are very informative and he manages not to be grossly offensive to strangers…

scaredypants

How are we meant to move forward as a society if we can’t allow people to rehabilitate themselves.

I don’t know what the misogyny bit is all about as I haven’t seen any of the vids in question but if he’s responded to someone else’s content (or crticism) by saying they’ve got a baggy fanny, he’d have to do a bit more than “oh, soz” to count as rehabilitated IMO

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Compartmentalisation, Hitler comparisons, branded a misogynist for one row with one woman, lighten up people or should I say c#ntish sh#tbag f#ckwits.

I was going to respond in kind, with a 30 minute video about why you’re wrong and sexually inadequate and should just go kill yourself.

Then I remembered rule 1.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Hambini’s GXP roast’ is closed to new replies.