• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by dc2.0.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Ham hands; how to remove square taped cranks
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Hi All. I have managed to completely strip the threads out of the drive side of a Shimano Tourney crank, and now my puller is not much use. Now I have managed to work around and find a solution to most broken stuff and f*** ups but I’m at the end of my thread with this.
    I have tried a 3-leg puller, but the only one I have is massive and I had to pull against the chain rings which rather predictably just caved in. I’m wondering if/how a smaller one would work in any case. I have tried a pry bar between the edge of the BB and inner face of the crank arm.
    None of these budged the thing even a little bit.
    Assistance on this would be very gratefully received and hugely beneficial to my general mental wellbeing. Thanks.

simondbarnes

Hacksaw

alanl
    Free Member

Heat up the crank arm around the spindle, then use a drift between the crank and the BB shell to split it apart.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Was a long time ago but I have used a bit of timber against the rear of the spider and hit that with a hammer, going around arm by arm until it was freed

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hacksaw unless you can find a stein thread cutter and tool

wrecker
    Free Member

Hacksaw through the square taper BB spindle?

simondbarnes

No, the crank arm

Rubber_Buccaneer

Here you go, he’s using a cloth on a drift rather than timber but same technique preceded by the destructive options

tjagain

mini ball joint splitter – the fork kind

colp

No, the crank arm

If you could cut through the BB then you could press the remaining bit out of the crank with a vice maybe.

BB would be cheaper than a crankset?

simondbarnes

BB would be cheaper than a crankset?

It’s a Tourney chainset and the OP has already ruined the rings.

Rubber_Buccaneer

It’s a Tourney chainset and the OP has already ruined the rings.

And stripped the extractor threads.  Soon after the ‘how do I remove a seized in BB’ thread I predict a cheap old bike being thrown in a skip😀

tjagain

the mini ball joint splitter will take it off no problem.

submarined
    Free Member

Grinder

bigblackshed

coatesy
    Free Member

Never had much luck with any of the above methods, I settled on a large bearing seperator kit from Machine Mart.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Either heat crank arm then beat it off.

Or if you can ride the bike but the crank bolt back in just not tight and go for a ride.

But yes a grinder will make short work of it

montgomery
    Free Member

Angle grinder….

stevious

I think I’d rather have an armpit that dispenses sun cream.

epicyclo

Orangeboy
    …Or if you can ride the bike but the crank bolt back in just not tight and go for a ride…

This.

Just give it a squirt of WD40 the night before and then find a decent hill. Use a hard gear. You may have to ride around a bit.

Make sure the crank bolt is in far enough to stop the crank falling off, but loose enough to allow the crank to free up.

wrecker
    Free Member

And it’s out! Pry bar did it in the end. Forgot what a friendly place this was (for the main part anyway, the usual pen’s still around I see). Now for the sanctuary of hollowtech.
    Thanks to everyone else!

survivor

Get this a lot on bikes we recycle at work.

Quickest and easiest way is to heat the crank up with a gas torch if you’ve got one. A few tippy taps and off it comes.

This has never failed me. Works every time and takes minutes.

Edit. Didn’t read last your last post there but congrats.

dc2.0

I think I’d rather have an armpit that dispenses sun cream.

If only he had a finger that could travel through time…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Ham hands; how to remove square taped cranks’ is closed to new replies.