Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Half Link Chain Question – Treck Crockett / Stranglehold Drops
  • b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

I’m looking at running a Treck Crockett singlespeed for CX racing taking advantage of the Stanglehold dropouts. The max movement is 15mm which I’m hoping will be enough to potentially run 2 x sprockets at the rear ( I know the chain line will not be perfect) and maybe using one chain for both, worst case 2.

I’m think i’ll have more opportunity of this working with a half link chain.

But does anybody know if there is a half link chain with some kind of fast link connector os is it a pin pushed in every time. As that may be problematic if I have to swap chains out often.

Anyone do anything similar or run a Crockett SS?

|Thanks

JoB
    Free Member

just get two SS chains, they take seconds to remove with a connecting link

half-link chains are ridiculously heavy and somehow really hard to remove pins from

simondbarnes

What Jo said

Sven

You could use one ‘standard’ (SS or 3/32) chain with TWO quick links and two shorter parts of a chain, one with say 6 links, the other with 8.5 links, i.e. only get one half-link rather than a whole half-link chain.

finbar
    Free Member

Yeah, if you need a half-link chain, you can achieve the same chain length by adding a single half-link to an ordinary chain – and avoid the weight and almost all of the stretchiness.

joemmo
    Free Member

some full link BMX chains come with one half link in the box / bag so you fine tune the length.

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

Sven – love that idea never thought of that. #problemsolved.com

Was simply thinking about a half link chain in case I sim[ply couldn’t get the required tension due to the ration and the fact theres only 15mm adjustment front and back.

kerley
    Free Member

as finbar said, just get a single half link and add it to your chain rather than buy a chain completely made of half links.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve been running my Crockett singlespeed since I bought it last year.

I fitted gears a few weeks back but for some reason don’t like it as much. It’ll be going back to singlespeed as soon as I get time to convert it back.

belugabob
    Free Member

Sven has nailed it.

Some level of caution is required, though…

1/ Use of a half link prevents use of narrow-wide chainrings
    2/ If one of the rear sprockets is used more than the other, it (and the chain) will wear at a different rate to the other sprocket, causing slippage when you change over. In this case, a chain for each sprocket makes more sense

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Half Link Chain Question – Treck Crockett / Stranglehold Drops’ is closed to new replies.