Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • GXP bottom bracket press fit
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

Pretty sure my bottom bracket needs replacing.

Ignore my lack of knowledge as I know it’s a GXP press fit but do they come in different sizes?

CRC has one on the sale but it just says 92mm MTB. No other size options apart from a road version. Is this what I need?

Is this the only press fit BB that would work with my Sram Cranks?

greyspoke
    Free Member

It has also to work with your bottom bracket shell. Probably it is the one, but to check measure your BB shell width. If it is 92mm then that one will fit. Quite a few manufacturers do ones to fit, eg Hope, Wheels Mfg., Enduro Bearings. Some of them are expensiver assemblies where the cups screw into each other across the frame to provide a firmer location. Hope call their’s “PF41”, the type is also known as “BB92”.

whitestone
    Free Member

Remember that GXP is one of SRAM’s brilliant* standards and the crank spindle is 24mm diameter on the drive side and 22mm on the non-drive side. As far as I’m aware the Hope PF41 is 24mm or 30mm only, I don’t think their GXP adaptor rings work with it either.

*there may be some sarcasm present in the above.

greyspoke
    Free Member

According to Hope their GXP adapter does work with their PF41 BB.

ETA @whitestone I understand your sarcasm as I have a couple of GXP cranks. I am not sure if the problem is the standard itself or the quality they make the cranks to. The left end of the axle is a loose fit in the 22mm bearing and they obviously rely on the clamping force to hold it still and not creak. IME this does not always work even when done up to the recommended torque (which is bloody tight).

ETA2 so given the creakiness that press-fit is known for, this makes is doubly problematical diagnising a creak…

Akers

I have 2 bikes with Hope Press-fit Bottom Brackets (1 is PF41 the other PF46) and SRAM GXP cranks, both using the Hope GXP adapter without any issues or creaking.

whitestone
    Free Member

@greyspoke – the sarcasm was mainly at the “standard” – let’s make it different because we can and try and tie people to our kit. I’ve a GXP crank and BB on my commuter, not had any problems (so far) with the crank but the BB wore out in about 1000km! That’s on a chuffin’ road bike! Even cheap Deore HT2 BBs last the best part of ten times that.

daern
    Free Member

SRAM’s OEM GXP bottom brackets are the worst, worst product I’ve ever experienced in the cycling world. I’ve never had one last more than a few months before falling apart or seizing up. I got fed up of replacing them and swapped to a Praxis Works on my son’s bike and it’s been fine ever since. Highly recommended.

swanny853

Wheels manufacturing thread together bb has been pretty solid for me with GXP. Easier to install than a hope too.

vincienup
    Free Member

Biggest problem with SRAM is the comics they produce in place of fitting instructions which aren’t terribly useful and that they only seem to publish customer facing technical information on SRAM Canada last I looked.

Unfortunately almost everything they make installs differently than the equivalent Shimano product so it’s not very friendly to ‘feel the force’ mechanics.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘GXP bottom bracket press fit’ is closed to new replies.