Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • GX Eagle 12 speed – fit and forget or faff city?
  • gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that all the parts between 11 and 12 speed SRAM are interchangeable because they share same pull ratio and spacings?If that’s the case Eagle is basically an 11 speed cassette with a big inboard 50t cog attached and shouldn’t have any tighter tolerances and finer adjustments,just a slightly bigger capacity on derailleur .

My 11 speed GX deraileurs have been pretty robust  but they have  tended to die the same way for whatever reason ,over time(I’m talking about 2 years of good use) their shifting accuracy starts deteriorating almost as if the hanger is bent i.e you can’t get accurate shifting over whole cassette  just in places. So maybe slightly  fatigued /worn/twisted/knocked hinge bit.

The jockey wheel bearings tend wear and get side to side wobble too which impacts the shifting but this is easily fixed with new bearings.I would imagine that big Eagle jockey may wear it’s bearings quicker with the added leverage but who knows.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Looks like I’ve been misinformed about them being the same pull ratio/spacing-they are indeed different.

fossy

None of this sounds great.

My SRAM 2×10 X9 has been faultless in the last two years (really impressed) and has been through loads of abuse, and even dragged branches with it. The jockey’s needed re-greasing a few times, and aren’t as good as the Tacx jockeys on my old XT mech.

My old school 90’s XT mech has seen it all, still works, although the cages are steel and thick alloy.  SRAM stuff is silly light for the application. Better off beefier for the slight weight penalty.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andreasrhoen
    Free Member

So maybe slightly fatigued /worn/twisted/knocked hinge bit.

“New” big cassettes, 46T or more: independend from the make of the rear mech – have the imression that they don’t last as long any more with those cassettes.

Old XT rear mech – only used with 3×10 and 11…36: no “torsional play” at all (when I grab the rear mech and twist the thing around the vertical axis).

When using these wide range cassettes, rear mech after 1/2 year of intense use: still shifts o.k.. But significant “torsional play”… Spoke with a guy from the LBS about it – he confirmed this.

If the wide range cassettes are harder on the rear mech and at the same time you need better tolerances due to more gears … this might create problems quick.

Guess the times where an mtb rear mech was lasting more than 2 years of hard use is over.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Reading this perhaps I’ll stick to XT 11 with a 10-42 SRAM. Don’t like this XT but better the devil you know?

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘GX Eagle 12 speed – fit and forget or faff city?’ is closed to new replies.