Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)
  • gun dogs, well all of em i suppose – time for a photo thread
  • carbon337
    Free Member

scruff, he is a cracker

breatheeasy
    Free Member

My mates dog is lovely…

hp_source

This is Jenson our 2 and a bit year old springer….

“My Stick”

“Mmmmmm…. peaty”

andyl
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    not nearly enough bona fido pheasant botherers on this thread. although I’m liking the look of jasmine. looks a cracking worker

Lottie picked this out for herself at the Game Fair a couple of years back:

and knackered after the first nights camping and day at the fiar but not letting pheasant go, she doesn’t rough it:

and in case anyone hasn’t seen this one:

yup it’s the same dog!

montylikesbeer

montylikesbeer

mindmap3
    Free Member

There are some lovely dogs on here. I have a real soft spot for Springers; we had one when I was a kid and she was ace, scatty but ace.

My aunt had a Visla called Digby and he was stunning too but needed to be around people or he would destroy stuff. My uncle and I took him for a walk one morning and we popped to grab a paper and left him in the car for a matter of minutes. Came back to find out he’d knocked the dog guard out of the way and pissed all over the front seat to show his displeasure!

I’d love a dog but my other half isn’t that keen and we work long hours so it wouldn’t be fair. She would consider a Cocker in the future though.

colournoise

Our two Springers in their ‘natural’ state.

Pablo (liver & white) is from champion working stock, but pheasants are safe from him (rabbits, chickens, pigeons and squirrels not so much so). Stig (the other one) is pretty much too thick to chase anything except his own shadow.

grim168
    Free Member

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Whilst on dogs, what do you dog owners do?

Is anyone here a dog owner that works full time (5 days 9-5) ?

I’m humming and ha-ing over getting a dog, dad used to have them, and would love to have one again. However, i’m just not sure its possible, and could do with some reassuring that working most of the day its wrong to have one.

Anyone able to shed some light/opinions?

Cheers!

Archibald
    Free Member

bjj.andy.w and ricdiggle what breeds are your dogs?

Anyone here had or known owners of portuguese pointers?

andyl
    Free Member

Ridgeback and Labrador if I’m not mistaken.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Dog by http://www.sussex-mtb.com, on Flickr

This is Riley, he’s 20 weeks now

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

andyl – Member
    Ridgeback and Labrador if I’m not mistaken.

Correct 😀 lovely breed of dog, but then again I’m biased 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

can you or your partner get home at lunchtimes from the 9-5job simply_oli_y?

DogsTrust will consider rehoming dogs with people who can as its usually means the dog doesn’t get left for more than 4-5 hours at a time… in fact they’d be good to get in contact with and to fill out their questionaire, they’ll be able to give you a good idea on if you’re suitable to adopt a dog and if so, what type/age of dog.

trail_rat
    Free Member

oli

worth looking after a friends do for a short while. My parents had a golden retriever when i was younger and i want a collie then.

we looked after poppy

Who although cute – required lots of attention. decided we dont think we are ready for a dog in our house yet. We both work long hours – i leave at 6.30 am and get in at 6pm and thats when im in the uk , jayne leaves at 7 and returns at 7. Im not for leaving a dog for 12 hours on its own – inside or out !

cardo

Charlie doing what he loves best… anything with water, best mate and going a bit grey now around the chops … but aren’t we all?

and his partner in petty dog biscuit theft and sofa hijacking Benson… Retriever Springer Cross.

ricdiggle
    Free Member

Anyone here had or known owners of portuguese pointers?

Henry is a Yellow Labrador.

bone_idle
    Free Member

My boy Chester his a complete mentalist

Helios
    Free Member

Oli,

My wife and I work full time 9-5 jobs. We pay a very nice (but very expensive) dog walker to look in on Indy twice per day so he is left no more than 3-4 hours at a time. We also try to work from home one day a week, and I often go to work early so that I can be home by 4… We also took loads of time off and worked from home most of the week while he was a little pup. It just about works for us. And I can’t imagine life without him now.

We were lucky in that Indy doesn’t suffer much in the way of seperation anxiety and basically sleeps all day long (even when we’re at home). He then gets all of our attention when we’re not at work. Which means we don’t go out unless it’s to the pub he is allowed in, and don’t go away at weekends unless it’s to somewhere he can come too…

philconsequence
    Free Member

RSPCA homecheck for us this evening 😯

the inspector made me chuckle though when organising the visit, she said that its rediculous the RSPCA dont let you rehome a rescue dog if you work and aren’t home nearly 24hrs a day, as most of the RSPCA staff own dogs and work full time 😆

think we’re lucky our inspector coming this evening is doing the homecheck for the Dorset Dog Rescue and understands that they know we work but will be coming home at lunchtimes 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

We also took loads of time off and worked from home most of the week while he was a little pup.

i think this is key. once they settle they will sleep all day, but when very young they can be a bit of a handful, and you’ll really see the benefit if they got a lot of decent interaction with you and your family.

joolsburger
    Free Member

These are my two. White one is a labradonkey called Bertie the Black one is Ella who is my faithful Surrey Hills trail dog or was until her knee went.

bluebird
    Free Member

My mates dog is lovely…

He certainly is. They’re great dogs.

mrben100
    Free Member

Pre-emptive pic heavy apology (but I don’t really care 😉 )

4 weeks

About 10 weeks

6 Months

10 months

20 Months (sept 2012)

JEngledow
    Free Member

mrben100, I’m glad we’re not the only ones with a bloody stupid Spinone who thinks he can still sit on laps despite weighing 30odd KG!

mrben100
    Free Member

Fortunately he was about 35kg in the pic.

Fighting weight now around the 43kg mark.

Sam

Our beagle Tessa, yes she is a dirty bitch…. Nearly one year old

And when she was a tiny puppy, maybe 3 months old at Bristol BEspoke show – pic thanks to Jenn ST dep. ed.

eyerideit
    Free Member

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

JEngledow – Member
    mrben100, I’m glad we’re not the only ones with a bloody stupid Spinone who thinks he can still sit on laps despite weighing 30odd KG!

What is it with big dogs that think they are a bloody Chihuahua 😀 ? Here’s Rogue again

philconsequence
    Free Member

my collie that i grew up with took to climbing up onto the windowsills when she saw the cats doing it 🙄

philconsequence
    Free Member

passed the RSPCA homecheck, should be picking up the dog tomorrow :D:D:D

arthural
    Free Member

Really nice images. They reminded me that I want to get my own dog! Any comments or recommendations about golden retrievers?

Helios
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member

passed the RSPCA homecheck, should be picking up the dog tomorrow :D:D:D

Nice one! We need pictures now…

philconsequence
    Free Member

the photos from the dog rescue place dont really show him as he looks in real life so will try to get some photos tomorrow evening… probably of him looking sad as he’s having the snip today 😯

gents, dont google the procedure for neutering a male dog unless you want to spend the day with crossed legs like a lady

bluebird
    Free Member

JEngledow That’s not just the reserve on the Spinoni, my 30kg Vizsla thinks it’s perfectly acceptable behaviour too. He also likes climbing up for a cuddle. I’m not sure who’s more stupid him for trying, or me for letting him.

cinnamon_girl

Really nice images. They reminded me that I want to get my own dog! Any comments or recommendations about golden retrievers?

Research! Hip problems are very common so you need to get hip scores from breeder, for both parents.

Training, training and more training – it’s needs to be ongoing. You’re pack leader, not them.

Bear in mind that they use their nose and, believe me, I’ve dealt with some awful things. For example, eating human poo, rolling in decomposed hedgehog, fox poo, horse poo, cow pats etc etc.

Water – couldn’t go past a puddle without laying it! Had an amazing ability to sniff out water but once had to be rescued from a lake due to bull rushes. Acted like a bloomin’ hippo. 😯

Still miss her. 😥

jimthelad
    Free Member

This is Alfie the cocker. He’s about 5 now. He’s a total moron but I wouldn’t change him for the world.

Playing fetch with the beating flag

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m not sure if it has been mrsconsequence’s car alarm going off half the night or the fact today is D(og)Day, but i’ve been awake half the night and its now less than 11 hours until we pick up ze dog 😀

apparently the RSPCA lady called up the Dog rescue and gave us a ‘glowing reference’ and said ‘she couldn’t be happier to recommend’ us for rehoming the dog 🙂

will try and get some photos up later this evening.

bullheart
    Free Member

What are you actually getting Phil?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘gun dogs, well all of em i suppose – time for a photo thread’ is closed to new replies.