Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Gulp!
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

Oh dear… I hope this is just belecose rhetoric…

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/views/news/middle-east/2013/08/30/Iran-s-threats-in-the-midst-of-a-Syrian-crisis.html

On a related point; now that the UK parliament has voted against military involvement, I wonder if the RAF aircraft that were flown to Cyprus in anticipation of a Yes vote have been recalled?

Offroading
    Free Member

Let them kill each other.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Imagine what a widespread middle eastern war would do to the oil price…

scotroutes

The aircraft we despatched to “protect our assets” in the region, whatever they might be, so I’d not expect them back any time soon.

However, I wouldn’t yet rule out our “military involvement”. If you’d actually watched or listened to the debate you’d have noticed Nick Clegg studiously bypassing a direct question on whether we’d allow the US forces to use Akrotiri and what our response would be should Syria decide to subsequently target a Scud at the base.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Oh dear… I hope this is just belecose rhetoric…

Do you really rely on a media outlet owned by the Saudi Royal family for your analysis of the political situation in the Middle East ?

I’ll remind you that the Saudi Royal family are absolute tyrannical and despotic rulers of a hugely repressive and totalitarian state which will not tolerate any form of opposition.

They are currently engaged in extensively arming the Al-Qaeda led rebels in Syria.

So hardly an unbiased and objective point of view.

And btw the last thing the Saudi Royal family wants to see is a free democratic Syria on its doorstep. That sort of nonsense might put ideas into people heads with regards to Saudi Arabia.

Nipper99
    Free Member

What ernie said. On the basis that my enemy’s enemy is my friend why are we not supporting Assad against Al-Qaeda seeking to turn Syria into some form of anti western islamic caliphate on the doorstep of Europe !!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes compositepro, it’s an interesting development that Obama is now saying that he wants the approval of Congress, even though he doesn’t actually need it.

I’m starting to think that he might be getting cold feet as he becomes clear that the American public don’t support a strike against Syria :

“Recent polls show about 60 percent of Americans oppose a U.S. military strike on Syria, while just nine percent support it.”

http://www.voanews.com/content/skepticism-grows-in-us-over-military-strike-against-syria/1740683.html

With Britain now not involved he will feel more isolated internationally, does he really want to do something which is apparently so unpopular with the US public ?

Obviously he can’t loose face and now announce that he has changed his mind, so perhaps going to Congress might just save his bacon. If they vote against then he can appear statesmanlike and say he will, be it reluctantly, abide by the democratic will.

If they vote in support he can at least deflect some of the personal criticism by pointing out that Congress had an identical point of view. He won’t feel so politically isolated at home.

It’s over a week before Congress assembles which takes it close to when the UN inspectors release their report. It would be hard to claim that a decision can’t wait tell then. And the longer it’s left the less likely it is to happen imo.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Gulp!’ is closed to new replies.