Viewing 22 posts - 361 through 382 (of 382 total)
  • Guitarists – if you had £500 for something new…
  • rob8624
    Free Member

Cheers!

twinw4ll – I’m working on the whole suite which it is from, I learn’t the Prelude last year, this Fugue took about 6 months to memorize the score and to get to that standard and needs some work still. I’ve played classical from childhood but this is the most challenging piece I’ve attempted, both technically (there are some big stretches!) and musically. It is very complex, like most fugues, but this is a inverse retrograde fugue, so the repeats are backwards and upside down, excuse the theory talk but only Bach does that shit. It’s tough to get your head around.

metalheart – yea amazing set of videos, Julian Bream is my all time favorite guitarist of any genre, probably the greatest of all. His enthusiasm and sheer love of playing is amazing, and when Benjamin Britten decides to write stuff personally for you, you know you’ve made it 😉

Edukator – haha! I do love a power chord also! 🙂

racefaceec90

i bought a squier bullet mustang for the princley sum of £122.00 inc delivery.

had read a lot of good things about them so decided to get one (in black).

it’s bloody great i have to say for the money 🙂

it plays and sounds great (well i think it does anyhoo).

here is a pic of it with my j mascis and squier jazz bass.

my guitars (and bass)

damn it pic didn’t work

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HZx7iVwKWvNdHrv26

here is the link to pic

Tom-B
    Free Member

I just picked up a 95 MIJ Jazz Bass on eBay for 400. Some fairly significant damage to the finish on the front, but my dad is going to refinish for me as that has become his retirement hobby. Sounds absolutely amazing though and just needs a bit of a truss rod tweaking to get it perfectly setup. As well as being a valuable professional addition….it’s going to be awesome from a sentimental point of view having my Dad refinish it.

It’s currently Candy Apple Red…. we’re going to see what it’s like when stripped and either just lacquer it or go for a sunburst refinish.

Tom-B
    Free Member

My MMus Thesis was based around the British pieces that Julian Bream commissioned! Rob I assume that you’re familiar with the Walton Bagatelles?

DavidB
    Free Member
    Edukator
    Free Member

just needs a bit of a truss rod tweaking to get it perfectly setup.

Let me know how that goes, the Jazz has a very thin neck which doesn’t resist heavy strings very well. The neck can end up with the relief being concentrated at the narrow end, and a high action needed to avoid buzz.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

PRS SE are a nice guitar, well made.

Hope it cheers you up

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve had a few Jazz basses over the years….struggled with my MIM to get the action too low….the other (US) was bob on.

bob_summers

@racefaceec90 would be interested to know how you are getting on with the Mascis Squier. I’ve been looking at the non-signature ones and might pick one up. Wondering if the Mascis is worth hunting down (no stock locally) simply because I like the colour better, although I understand it has a hotter pickup.

rickon
    Free Member

I ended up spending a little over £500 on an ESP LTD 401. I’m amazed that this thing is less than £1000. I’ve had a Les Paul Custom, and a SG Standard back in the 1990s, and this just plays better.

The neck is thinner than the baseball on the Les Paul, and the body is about an inch thinner.

The 39th PAF Dimarzios are lovely too.

It needs a decent setup though! That’s next on the list.

I also bought a little Art and Luthrie Parlour guitar for some blues at the start of lockdown. Lovely big sound from such a little thing.

rob8624
    Free Member

Tom B –

Yea dude, I am! Love them, although not everyone’s cuppa tea! That’s amazing you must know so much about the great man.

racefaceec90

bob_summers

by all accounts the classic vibe jazzmasters are exactly the same as the j mascis apart from the colour and pickguard (am not sure if the pickups are different or not tbh?).

i love the guitar i have to say. the neck is quite thin but i have small hands so is easy for me to play (i think the neck is based on rory gallagher strat neck).

the guitar does sound good and can definitely be used to play most types of guitar sounds/styles. i moetly play through a boss gt-1 multi fx pedal and headphones and you can get some great sounds out of the guitar (only my bad guitar playing is the downside in the equation lol).

full on metal might be a problem but not impossible.

the main reason i went for the j was that i heard that they were going out of production and my localish guitar store had one in stock (had been interested in the j for quite a while too as i love dinisaur jr/ j mascis).

i hope that was of some help.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ha not overly!

If you’ve not already read it, check out the biography of him called A Life On The Road…. a really fun book.

I don’t even own a classical guitar these days….I need to rectify that!

bob_summers

Thanks @racefaceec90 I’d read, I think, the pick-ups are higher output and the neck is satin rather than gloss? Neither of which matter to me, I just like J hehe
    Just found out my LGS is actually part of an online store so should be able to get one for me to try out.

racefaceec90

bob_summers

enjoy the guitar when you get it and let us know what you think 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

THR

Not quite £500 but one of the best guitar-related purchases I’ve ever made.

I’m blown away by the great tones this thing has at any volume. Dead convenient to use, too, especially with the wireless dongle. The amp works on battery which I didn’t think I’d use but it’s great just sitting next to it and failing in some tones.

My problem is that we have a small terraced house and my only practice time is after the boy’s asleep. I’ve recently been using an iRigHD and Bias FX via my phone which works pretty well, but headphones are no substitute for an amp. Now I can practice without disturbing anyone but with great quality.

Honestly game changing for me 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

Sorry, Imgur fail there ^^
    Try again:
    THR

Yamaha THR

Tom-B
    Free Member

@rickon did you buy that Parlour direct from them, or did you pick up the second hand one that was on thefretboard last month?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@superficial yep I found mine to be a bit of a game changing amp. Only got the 10 with no wireless or battery.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Don’t suppose anyone is interested in an Orange Tiny Terror I am looking to sell?
    It’s the Jim Root one – I think the best sounding one as it has a really wide usable gain range and a 3 band EQ. Owned by me from new and comes with the padded carry case. Power valves have been recently replaced with some JJs.

Only selling as I need to buy a few bits and pieces for my new van.

Drop me a PM if you’d like to discuss prices.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Won one of these last week.
    Have to say I’m growing rather fond of it. It’s not perfect, but £500 for a USA Gibson is pretty good although not as good as free obviously 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You jammy, jammy bastard!!
    Looks great.

Viewing 22 posts - 361 through 382 (of 382 total)

The topic ‘Guitarists – if you had £500 for something new…’ is closed to new replies.