Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Guitar DIY Question
  • big-chief-96
    Free Member

I have a really nice classical guitar and want to amplify it. In my head getting a little microphone just inside the hole with a jack plug on the bottom of the guitar is the best way but firstly what microphones do I use and does anyone have any experience/other ideas about how I can do it?

cheers

chiefgrooveguru

Why do you want to amplify it: For more volume onstage or for more out in the audience?

mattstreet

If it really is a “really nice classical guitar”, you probably don’t want to go drilling into it to put under-bridge pickups in or anything scary. 😯

You can get some from Shadow that substitute the ‘bone’ of the bridge, so may be worth Googling them…? Can’t help on the microphone bit – mine came with a built-in Fishman, but I think I’d have happily stood in front of an SM58 if it hadn’t.

nille
    Free Member

I wouldnt install anything in the guitar. You risk screwing up the integrity of the whole body. In addition, high volume accoustic guitars just beg for feedback if you install a pic up or microphone. A lot of accoustic guitars with pick ups are therefore very shallow and have low volume bodies. If you really want to install some sort of pickup I would recommend a piezo based system. You can install them under the bridge or within the body but it will probably require adjustments of the guitar. In any case, I wouldn’t want to do this sort of thing myself but consult a luthier.
    If you require amplification for concerts, I would suggest a proper microphone (directional).

Hope this helps.

chipps

Is it a nylon string classical, or a steel strung acoustic? A steel string guitar can have a sound-hole pickup, whereas a nylon string one will need some sort of mic or transducer.

As above, why do you want to amplify it? To record? Perform or just annoy the neighbours? 🙂

big-chief-96
    Free Member

Its a nylon string guitar and purely for my own benefits. I do sometimes perform and sometimes just want to sit at home in quiet but if I can get a mic on it then its just more versatile.

DIY is no problem for me, Im pretty confident and everything is measure ten times, then once more, get someone to check it, measure again, then slowly drill, stop just before I do, measure then go for it. I’ve added a strap and strap ‘Button?’ to it and it worked fine. 8)

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would not and a strap to a classical guitar WTF is that for? 😯 if you play standing up I think you want another guitar TBH acoustic with a pick up?
    he aint sat down because he is old

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

you can get a strap button with a 1/4 inch – 6mm jack socket built into it.(Like this one, third down) It’s fairly easy to fit a contact mike(like this one, fourth down) to the underside of the soundboard just inside the soundhole. run the mike lead from the mike to the jack and bob is your uncle. About a ten minute job.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Guitar DIY Question’ is closed to new replies.