Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Grrrr – Millets Customer service (Garmin Fenix 5 content)
  • beamers

Any consumer rights experts in the house?

So, as a result of a very useful PSA on here I bought one of these:

https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/089610-fenix-5-multisport-gps-watch-yellow.html

Worked fine for a couple of weeks and then developed a charging anomaly where it would only charge if the lead was plugged in one way round and not the other and would only charge to 100% if I kept on unplugging it and plugging it back in again.  In addition neither of my computers would recognise it as a USB device, where both had previously done so.  This is a right PITA as I couldn’t transfer routes across to the watch and I wouldn’t be able to update the software.

The watch is clearly a wrong un.

I spoke to Garmin tech support, went through all of the trouble shootings guides, tried 2 different cables both of which were brand new but to no avail.  Next step was to send back to Millets HQ, via the local store (who have been very helpful).  Just phoned MIllets HQ today and the unit has been sent back to Garmin to be checked which will take 6-8 weeks to resolve!

As I have paid my money to Millets shouldn’t they be replacing the unit straight away and then sorting out a refund / replacement to their stock with Garmin.  My “contract” is with Millets, not Garmin.

I tried explaining this to the customer service operative on the phone just now but he just kept trotting out the line about Millets’ arrangement with Garmin.  I couldn’t give two hoots about their arrangement with Gamin.  My arrangement with Millets is that I paid them £375 for a Fenix 5 and right now I have nothing.

Grrr.

nickdavies

Under 6 months the retailer has one chance to put things right by repair or replace. They are acting within their responsibilities by doing that, there’s no provision for time to repair categorically under CRA as far as I’m aware. Pretty unreasonable though, I’d write to them in the first instance.

beamers

Cheers Nick. I’ve emailed them, left a post on their FB page and sent them an IM on FB to cover all the bases.

I’m waiting for a call back from the Customer Services Call Centre Manager but apparantly “she’s very busy today.”

fossy

Millets should actually just give you a new one. I’ve had to return a Garmin 200 and a Garmin Smart Watch (wife’s) in the past – both developed charging faults after a few months. I bought from Halfords with the Discounts etc, and they just gave me a new unit there and then. No messing.  Both replacements have been fine since. My old 705 is still going strong, used every ride.

akira

When we send stuff back to Garmin it’s through Madison and while they’re not that quick it’s normally 1-2 weeks maybe 3 if an issue arises.

DickBarton

Was 4 weeks for my crash replacement helmet, so don’t hold your breath!

bruneep

I’ve found Garmin warranty very good. Garmin were quick, millets could be the slow cog in all this.

beamers

That’s what I’m hoping. I’ll give Garmin a call on Monday and ask for an update.

oldtennisshoes

Garmin customer service are good – but they need to be.

Be aware that if they do replace it, you might get a refurbed unit rather than a new replacement.

beamers

How does that work? I bought a brand new one, which failed after two weeks of use, so surely they should replace it with a new one rather than another duff unit that they have fixed.

Thanks for the heads up though.

bigyan
    Free Member

If you have had it less than 30 days you can reject a faulty product for a full refund.

After 30 days you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace, the problem is the definition of reasonable time.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

Yes your consumer rights are will Millets as the retailer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“How does that work? I bought a brand new one, which failed after two weeks of use, so surely they should replace it with a new one rather than another duff unit that they have fixed.”

Well you won’t know it from a new one it’ll look exactly the same.

Sandwich

Well you won’t know it from a new one it’ll look exactly the same

If you check the case serial number against the reported number showing on Garmin Express. It’s usually a refurb if they differ.

nickdavies

I made the assumption it was more than a month old from how your post was worded, if less than 30 days just tell them to stick it and give you a refund. Waiting weeks is definitely out of order in that case.

Unless that PSA made the price good enough to wait, but considering they are £369 online now probably not.

bruneep

my new garmin that I bought the bluetooth was faulty always dropping out, I received a “refurb” it looked as far as I could tell new. It has worked faultlessly ever since

beamers

Unless that PSA made the price good enough to wait, but considering they are £369 online now probably not.

Really?  Just had a look and the links that I followed didn’t take me to a Fenix 5 for that price.

convert

Garmin are pretty good with their customer support. I know your purchase was via Millets and people get very fixated with who their contract is with etc but the two times I’ve had an issue with a Garmin product within the warranty period I just made direct contact with Garmin site and it was all very slick. Adding Millets as a middle man has probably added a couple of weeks and extra hassle to the process. They are based down near Southampton and seem pretty prompt and reasonable.

I bought the 5x after getting nudged by that PSA. Only slight regret is a couple of weeks later the 5 plus and 5x plus came out with built in music storage. I think I’d have been tempted by that. Not finding the map function something I’ve used all too often.

beamers

I went direct to Garmin in the first instance and they were very helpful with troubleshooting and sending me a replacement cable to try.

When that didn’t work they asked who I had purchased it from, direct from Garmin or elsewhere? They advised that it had to go back to Millets.

What’s really frustrating is that when I took the watch in to the local store it was showing as out of stock. The manager in the store, who has been super helpful, would have initiated an exchange there and then. As it was out of stock though it had to be sent to Millets HQ to be assessed / sent on to Garmin and a refund processed.

The watch is now back in stock on the Millets website at the same discounted price but I’m now stuck waiting for Garmin to assess my duff watch.  If I’d taken it into the store this weekend instead of last I’d have a replacement winging its way to me right now.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Grrrr – Millets Customer service (Garmin Fenix 5 content)’ is closed to new replies.