Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • grown up kids ….. What age should they be out the family home ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Whats peoples views on older kids 20 plus still at home with the parents ??
    Our daughter is 23 now and she still wont take the hint that its time to move out and stand on her own two feet, have even offered to pay deposits for flat rental etc
    myself and the wife would like some quality time on our own now and cant because of kids not moving on !! .
    has anyone just told there kids that by a certain date/age etc we want you out ??

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Does she have a job?

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    Does she have a job?

Yep !

wallop

If I have kids I shall be evicting them at 18.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve told my daughter that she’ll be out at the age of 18. She’ll likely come home one day and find the locks have changed and there are some strangers living in the house…. 😀

I’m seeing lots of older “children” still living at home until they are in their 30’s. Generally, the marriage age is rising, mortgage deposits are getting bigger and there seems to be some sort of assumption that one can only move out into bought accommodation. When I were a lad, it was all about flat-sharing.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Start pissing in her shoes once a day, she may get the hint.

Taff
    Free Member

My mate has just just bought his first house and is moving out of his folks home for the first time… In 32years

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I know people that have given adult children deadlines to be out of the family home by.

M6TTF
    Free Member

getting harder and harder these days for young people – however if youre offering financial help and she has a job then she should be snapping your arm off!

Junkyard
    Free Member

IMHO if you dont make them some will stay.
    think how much easier and cheaper it is to stay with you than do all the hard work for herself- someone i know just charged commercial rates to his kids at 23 –
    the first one said “but I could get rent my own place for that”
    Dad ” what a good idea why not run with it”
    Good luck i suspect there is no subtle way to do this

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

When I were a lad, it was all about flat-sharing.

Yeah…don’t kids share anymore? I know they share at Uni/college an’ all that, but I couldn’t bloody wait to get out and slum it for a bit (I did suffer a bit of cabin-fever having had to live at home while at uni though).

Junkyard
    Free Member

shuttup you dont have kids 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeah…don’t kids share anymore?

I share a house. Its dead good.

maccruiskeen

My cousin has only just moved out of his parents house – he’s approaching 50

project
    Free Member

I walked out when i was 23, after a family row, on christmas day, never went back, and never slept the night there again.

2 people i know, 1 bought a house opposite his mums, and still goes there for his mum to wash his clothes, and watch the tv, the other one, still at home at 29.

tthew

12. 👿

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😉 @ JY

Zedsdead
    Free Member

when can you work a proper job?

Right. Get yer own fookin hoose then. Bye.

And I expect to be invited round for dinner on a regular basis too.

Thanks.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

kids are for life just not for 18 years, in most country’s familys live together… what a silly idea

Edit: i dont live at home but my family pays the rent..

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I walked out when i was 23, after a family row, on christmas day, never went back, and never slept the night there again.

2 people i know, 1 bought a house opposite his mums, and still goes there for his mum to wash his clothes, and watch the tv, the other one, still at home at 29.

I know a guy still at home with his mum at 43!

That’s just wrong!

ilovemygears
    Free Member

Zedsdead – Member

I know a guy still at home with his mum at 43!

That’s just wrong!

This is how most of the world lives, have you ever been to India??

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I moved out at 18 to go to uni, spent most holidays away so didnt dealt live at home during the holidays.

I moved home when i went to work with the company sponsoring my doctorate. I lasted 18 months before i hd to move out. My choice.

I love my parents, but i couldn’t move back in, no money saving is worth losing my sanity over!

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends on circumstances i think

in governments eyes your still a dependant through uni when it comes to grants etc – all parental means tested

i stayed at home till i finished uni at 22.

soon as i finished and got a job i moved out …..

i moved back in for a short period between flats as i had no where else to go – i stayed for about 4 days and moved into my van !!!!

parents are fine we get on well – they are for life – but not to live with !

Junkyard
    Free Member

This is how most of the world lives,

and yet your parents pay for you to not live with them…..

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

They’ll be moving out to go to uni at 18 and will not be allowed back.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

it depends what your’e parents are like really, miss living at home coz my mum dont buy me weed for cutting the lawn 🙁

johnners
    Free Member

there seems to be some sort of assumption that one can only move out into bought accommodation. When I were a lad, it was all about flat-sharing

Yeah, even if they don’t expect to move into “bought”, they expect not to have to share a rented flat or house. They’re spoilt tw*ts.*

*and they expect central heating, washing machines, fridge freezers – we had none of that! Ice on the inside of the windows, I tell thee…

carlosg
    Free Member

I got booted out by my mum at 17 as she didn’t think I’d get on with the bloke she was about to marry! Luckily my dad had a mate on the council and I managed to get a flat. when i turned 18 I got a credit card and royaly screwed my finances up.

Mum came to the rescue and bailed me out and I moved back home on the understanding that I would pay my way , I paid a quarter of everything but the mortgage which at the time (1988) was anywhere between £140 and £210 a month.

I got a 2nd job in a pub and worked all the hours I could and paid mum everything back in 6 months(just short of £5000) 1 month later I’d saved the deposit for a mortgage and moved out.

FWIW I think Junkyards mate has the right idea.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    This is how most of the world lives,

and yet your parents pay for you to not live with them…..
    yea coz the do nursing degrees in Penzance college, if the unis in Cornwall did my course id still be there…

john_drummer
    Free Member

I moved out to go to Uni. I was 17. I’ve never slept in their house since.

Don’t get me wrong, I do get on with them very well, but I couldn’t live there.

Klunk
    Free Member

our boy moved out 3 weeks ago, 23. must say things are very quiet now and there seems to much more room about the house but we would have no issues about him moving back, he’s good company and no bother.

emac65
    Free Member

Bet some of you would make or are great parents…….. 🙄

ilovemygears
    Free Member

Yeah, even if they don’t expect to move into “bought”, they expect not to have to share a rented flat or house. They’re spoilt tw*ts.*

would you want youre daughter in the same house as some random male that she dont know, i **** well wouldn’t… same goes for a cheap flat, as there normally in crappy areas…

jruk
    Free Member

Start charging her market rates for everything (inc washing machine, dishwasher etc.) and bolt the doors at 10pm. She’ll soon piss off. If that doesn’t work, tell her to mtfu and sort herself out – hints have passed (but she’ll always be your baby girl won’t she).

ilovemygears
    Free Member

wow there are some **** awful parents on this forum

Junkyard
    Free Member

and some kids still sponging from mummy and daddy

ilovemygears
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    and some kids still sponging from mummy and daddy

and one day all that land will be mine:)

thekingisdead
    Free Member

We were charged “lodgings” as soon as we left uni and had jobs. Mum put the money aside (unbeknown to us) and gave it back to us when we both got our own places, for furniture etc. Good way of doing it , IMO.

cinnamon_girl

Hmmm difficult one.

Why can’t you have ‘quality time on your own’ then? Who/what is stopping you?

Are you subsidising your daughter? If you are then don’t!

C_G
    Mum of adult children who misses them but wouldn’t have them living with me, oh no 😉

ilovemygears
    Free Member

then again its a two way street, there is no way in hell id let my parents live in a old peoples home, people that are to busy with there own lives to look after the people that gave you life ant worth pissing on in my opinion..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘grown up kids ….. What age should they be out the family home ?’ is closed to new replies.