Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Why do STW dwellers not like Rupert Murdoch?
  • yoshimi

I accept/admire your stance but I’m sort of with Molgrips on this – its not like theres much of a credible alternative, I cant get virgin

I’m off to read up on this douche bag

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

credible alternative – BBC, ITV, Channel4, 5 and the rest of freeview.

bullheart
    Free Member

Holy crap! How much of a **** is Adam Boulton in that clip? What a petulant prick…

Murdoch is a embittered Machiavellian megalomaniac. Support him at your peril.

Klunk
    Free Member

he’s Australian.

kimbers

yup i survive very happily without sky and wont pay a penny toward murdoch
    90% of sky is drivel anyway and im not interested in the sports stuff
    the only bit that hurts is when dramas start on regular tv then head to pay per view or when stuff goes straight to sky like game of thrones, boardwalk empire
    this forces me to become a criminal and download all that stuff ilegally, fortunately lots of HD torrents about these days!

yoshimi

TJ – I have looked at just going to Freeview but I think theres too much I ‘d miss out on – if I could get virgin I’d be on that like a shot

I’ve seen that clip before – very very funny to watch a serious broadcaster be reduced to that:)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I did boycott News International for about 10 years after Wapping but no longer do – although the only thing from NI I’m ever likely to buy is the Times. I really don’t see any practical benefit from boycotting Murdoch’s media empire, by far the best solution would be for a Labour government to force the sell-off Murdoch’s individual operations in the UK. Thatcher had no problem forcing the TSB to be sold off even though the government never owned it, I see no problem with a Labour PM forcing NI to be sold off – other than the fact that Labour are spineless of course.

yoshimi

Kimbers, I’d say higher than that…95% that sky offres over freeview is crap but the other 5% I really enjoy 😐

binners

If you were ever in doubt to News Internationals true attitude to independent and impartial broadcasting, remember the deal Murdoch signed with the Chinese authorities.

In return for exclusive satellite broadcasting rights on the Astra satellite to China, he would ensure that no independent news, not approved by the authorities, was ever broadcast.

He happily did so without a second thought

schnullelieber
    Free Member

Cos he used his stealth ship to implicate the Chinese in the sinking of a British destroyer – bringing us to the brink of war. If it wasn’t for some sterling work by MI6 what’s left of the Royal Navy wouuld be lying at the bottom of the South China Sea by now.

mboy
    Free Member

If all you lefties on here think every Tory, Cameron included, is like (or thinks like) Rupert Murdoch, no wonder you hate them!

Murdoch is a tyrant, he believes anything and anybody can be bought no matter the price. His values and beliefs are lower than low, it is one thing to monopolise a market because you are better than the rest, but to do it by being underhanded, snide and totally ruthless?

I also can’t stand the way he’d have himself as God, he seems to think he can, or should rule everyone and everything. The sad fact is that everyone lets him get away with this belief, and buys into it! Why did David Cameron accept hospitality off Murdoch pre-election time? Probably cos he knew if he didn’t, Murdoch would turn his entire media army into an “Anti-Cameron campaign” to make sure he never got in, rather than for any good advice he thought he may have.

Sadly the media has ruled the populous in most countries for quite some time now rather than any government, and I think Murdoch recognised this and made sure he was the one in charge of the media in as many countries as he could.

Boycotting Sky TV is useless too, it could go bust tomorrow and Murdoch would barely notice such is his wealth and enterprise.

As much as I hate him though, I could actuallly forgive some of it if he was British and paid his taxes. The fact he makes a significant fortune over here, controls pretty much the entire media and bosses the Government around, yet isn’t even a naturalised Brit and pays almost no taxes boils my blood!

He is the lowest of the low, scum of the earth, fortunately at 79 now there can’t be all that long left of him doing whatever he wants and getting away with it?

kimbers

im sure he’ll find away to live on………

or perhaps more like herman von klempt from hellboy……..

MrOvershoot

binners – Member

It’ll be a cold day in hell when that bastard has me signing a monthly subscription. Not a chance! I’d never buy his poisonous right-wing rags either
    +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

What makes me sad is some of the blokes at work who claim to be true labour then have a full sky package at home and buy the Times!!!

BTW I’m no raving lefty

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So, he despises the Royal Family. Check.

Self-made man who started from nowt and now owns the western world. Check.

Made millions from giving the people exactly what they want. Check.

Destroyed a bunch of work-shy communist trade unions who were driving an entire industry to the wall. Check.

Serial monogamist of women less than half his age. Check.

What’s not to like?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What’s not to like?

You.

bullheart
    Free Member

I’ve just sent the wife out for biscuits. I have a feeling we’re going to need them…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Can she pick up some Bahlsen “Chocco Leibnitz” whilst she’s out? I understand they’re Rupe’s favourites, too…

mboy
    Free Member

So, he despises the Royal Family. Check.

And they put far more money back into the country than he does

Self-made man who started from nowt and now owns the western world. Check.

Inherited his Daddies company then got set about bullying his way into taking over many more by various underhanded methods

Made millions from giving the people exactly what they want. Check.

Made millions (in the UK anyway) by selling people a concept, getting them hooked on it like a drug, then driving the price sky high once they were hooked.

I’m pretty far from a raging lefty, but Murdoch and his values make me wince that people like him actually exist quite frankly.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

getting them hooked on it like a drug

The FIEND!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Destroyed a bunch of work-shy communist trade unions who were driving an entire industry to the wall.

Dear oh dear oh dear. You’re a very hateful little man, aren’t you?

Fortunately, there are lots of books and articles to read on this subject, so you can hopefully learn something and open your narrow little mind a bit.

I’ve just sent the wife out for biscuits. I have a feeling we’re going to need them…

Don’t worry, it’s only Woppit. Probbly bin starved of attention lately or something. I suspect we’ll see an attack on religion shortly.

Got any Communion Wafers?

bobgarrod
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1aZcsY-O8Q[/video]

MrWoppit
    Free Member

That’s such a mouthwatering opportunity to fulfull Fred’s desire, but – no. Not with that haircut.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

yoshimi – Member
    He seems to come in for some true hate on here – I’ve always been indifferent to him.

Specific reasons required please

See Adam Curtis’s blog
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/01/rupert_murdoch_-_a_portrait_of.html

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Do you suppose the dirty digger has a fluffy white cat that he likes to occasionally stroke in a menacing, slitty-eyed sort of way?

bullheart
    Free Member

slitty-eyed sort of way?

Racist. 8)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Phillipist, surely…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

and buy the Times!!!

BTW I’m no raving lefty

Well I am a raving lefty. I am however a raving lefty who doesn’t believe in gesture politics.

Boycotting the Times will not in anyway reduce the wholly undemocratic and dangerous power which one man, who has never stood for any election in his life, exercises through his ownership of 175 titles, countless TV channels, film and other companies (too many to count)

No, one, totally unaccountable man, should have so much control over the information which we receive, whatever their politics – and their politics really isn’t the issue here. But the way to deal with that is through legislation, not through meaningless excises of self-denial.

Having said that despite at one time buying the Times no less often than the Guardian, I rarely buy it these days. It is however still the 4th best paper in Britain imo, even with Murdoch as its proprietor.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I get The Thuderer (sic) for nowt from the News International courier hub guy across the loading bay.

I particularly like the war diagrams with sexy Tornados and Apaches and stuff with different-coloured arrows pointing excitingly at bits of Libya getting blown up in little spiky flashes of orage and red…

menothim
    Free Member

Hang on, hang on, there is daft romanticism taking place here – the printers that he confronted were not heroes. They were anything but.

The printers ruined it for everybody because they took the piss to such an extent – dozens of printers claiming two and three salaries under alias names like Donald Duck the Junior.

If management, not unreasonably, challenged them on this, the union would see that everyone downed tools and no more papers were printed until some extortionate ransom was extracted from the company.

Now, that’s not to say what happened at Wapping was right – but it needed to happen, and the problem is that because the Troublesome Inkies pushed it so far, that when retribution came it was brutal. And as a result the cause of industrial relations in the UK was set back decades, and we are miles away from a progressive situation where unions and management can work together in mature fashion for win, win outcomes.

If any union activists or sympathisers want to know why they hold so little sway these days, blaming Rupert is misguided. The blame lies within the union movement itself for failing to stop the excesses of the print unions in the 70s and 80s.

And that’s a real shame because I often wonder what my union subs really pay for.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I particularly like the war diagrams with sexy Tornados and Apaches and stuff with different-coloured arrows pointing excitingly at bits of Libya getting blown up in little spiky flashes of orage and red…

Oh dear, what a provocative thing to say Woppit. I feel I ought counter it. Unfortunately I can’t be arsed. Try upping the antes maybe ?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Did the Missus manage those Choccos, bullheart?

I’ll refresh the teapot.

kimbers

i like that adam curtis blog,

it is somewhat heartening that even with the pr clusterfrack of gordon browns last days that murdoch couldnt get his pet tory elected with a majority government

menothim
    Free Member

Don’t you hate it when you wade into a thread in the hope of a good debate …and find that you’re too late as the thread has run out of steam!

hh45
    Free Member

I guess left leaning people hate him for being anti union, supporting Thatcher and generally being a super rich, tax doging tycoon and right wingers despise him for dumbing down so much of the media, making football omnipresent, supporting Blair, being Australian / American and being more successful than them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah yes, I’ve been trying to figure this out since yesterday but you’ve nailed it – it’s because he’s more successful than me. More successful at being a cock anyway – and that’s saying something. 🙂

richmars

Don’t forget, the right don’t have a monopoly on dodgy press barons, the left have (had) Robert Maxwell.

Junkyard
    Free Member

More successful at being a cock anyway

I dont think even fox news would get away with reporting this lie.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😀 JY.

Klunk
    Free Member

because his papers pull stunts like this

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVIkmJcodFM[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Why do STW dwellers not like Rupert Murdoch?’ is closed to new replies.