Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Groin Strain advise
  • windyg
    Free Member

After my crash at the Nationals I am suffering from a groin strain, can’t remember ever doing this before so any advise to aid recovery would be welcome.

Sun was total pain once i got home, crawled up the stairs used cold compress and painkillers.

Mon can walk up and down stairs ok and can generally walk ok’ish but with a limp and a dull ache pain

Tue much the same, just hurts with any sudden movement, still limping.

Wed same as above, I have ordered a compression brace to see if that helps other than that I just taking painkillers, sitting around watching telly/playing guitar/PS4 and taking the occasional limping walk around the house.

Anything else I can/should do? or is it a case of just wait it out?

maccruiskeen

As with anything involving the down-belows (especially it going limp) you should ask the advice of a bunch of internet blowhards rather than see a doctor 🙂

windyg
    Free Member

lol well i did decide that yep maybe a visit to the doc was a good idea, good news is it’s a damaged quad and not a groin strain so hopefully will heal much faster

hugo
    Free Member

Was going to say, doesn’t sounds like a groin strain.  That’s gives pain when making the motion of sidefooting a ball, not bending down…!

Active recovery all the time.   Keep it strapped, personally I’d avoid the anti-inflammatory pills as the body getting things to the muscle is a good thing imo, but after a few days rest make sure you get it moving gently.  2-5 mins of gentle stationary bike on lowest setting, etc, but if there’s any sharp pain stop.  How long is a piece of string, but if it were I recovery a hurty quad muscle then I’d spin it for 5 mins or so maybe 4-6 times a day.  Keeps it moving, no strain, helps with scar tissue, drives helpful there through increased blow flow.

I shattered my thumb in six places playing sport once.  Advice was 6 weeks immobile in a cast then physio afterwards.  Screw that.  Waited until the bone had knitted after 10 days or so, then demanded cast off and put velcro splint on.   Softest foam ball ever and squeezed it 50 times day 1, 100 times day 2, 200 times day 3 – 5.  Then harder foam ball and 100s more controlled movements.  Went back for another x-ray after 4 weeks and they thought the bone growth was some kind of miracle.  No, I’d just no immobilised it and left it limp doing nothing in a cast.  Makes you wonder sometimes…. Played full contact sport 5 weeks later with no pain.  I’d have still been in a cast going the traditional route.

Avoid 100% rest after the first couple of days.  This doesn’t help recovery time.

Ease yourself back into full beans stuff however.  Going back to stage 1 is not pleasant.  Recover well, recover fully, don’t blow it again.  Always give it another week or two.  With a quad it’s a good excuse to work on pure cardio and upper body, no stamping on pedals for a while…

Good luck!

windyg
    Free Member

Cheers Hugo, the spin on the bike sounds like a good plan, i have been making sure I’ve not remained static and a few goes up and down the stairs have been fine. Upper body work is definitely the plan.

hugo
    Free Member

All the best.

Remember though, it’s all about the movement, you’re recovering not training/exercising!  Saying that, if you’re doing stairs on a quad strain it can’t be a real nasty one.   Here’s hoping.

Time to work on the bench…!  I did that last year, set myself a bench target and worked towards it.  Good fun to mix these things up and you can get your bikini body beach ready.

windyg
    Free Member

Yeah I don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as it could have been, I think i got very lucky as it was a heavy crash.

And yep totally focused on recovery the training will come.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Groin Strain advise’ is closed to new replies.