Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Grizedale Bridleways – how snowy?
  • Kit
    Free Member

Looking at Simon's Parkamoor photos, they look snow free – any advance on this?

And care to recommend a route – GPX, JPEG map etc as I've no idea about names?!

Last time I rode there was a few summers ago and absolutely loved it (even if I did get lost at one stage). Only remember the fox sculpture and rocky bridelway to the road, Breasty Haw (is that right?), and a long descent down to the side of Coniston (which sfb calls £5 hill).

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Kit, the weather keeps changing, and heavy snow is forecast (if you can believe that)

how about Claife and Grizedale ? This one includes £5 and £10 Hill as well as Moor Lane, Breasty Haw and most of the best bits in Claife too 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I was riding around there on Sunday afternoon – when it had been snowing quite heavily – and the bridleways around the North Face trail were fine.

The last bit of the three-stage descent to Satterthwaite was probably faster than normal as the snow had filled in a lot of front edges on the bigger rocks.

Ditto for the rocky descent to the visitor centre.

Kit
    Free Member

Simon – oof, 40km! I've only ridden off road about 4 times since October, so I think I'll struggle with that. Will look out the route I did before, its in the Vertebrate Graphics guide…

chakaping – are you talking about sections of the NF trail? Not really that interested, to be honest, unless I can tie in some bits at the end, but thanks anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member

No Kit, I said the bridleways around TNF.

We only used the climb and the traversey bit before diverting for the good stuff.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Simon – oof, 40km! I've only ridden off road about 4 times since October

WHAT ?? In that case miss out Claife…

Kit
    Free Member

Sorry chakaping, you mentioned the visitor centre so I just had to check 😉

WHAT ??

Yup, what with being hit by a car in November and working 60hrs a week, I've kinda lost the enthusiasm a bit. Got a skills course with jedi on Thursday and Grizedale on Sunday should kick start the interest again I hope!

earbyphil
    Free Member

SimonfBarbes
    I must say I think the animated maps such as http://www.bogtrotters.org/route/showrouteframe2.php?route=169 are great. I guess someone at Bogtrotters spends a lot of time for our benefit.
    Earbyphil

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I guess someone at Bogtrotters spends a lot of time for our benefit.

er, that would be me – but I do it for fun :o) And I have it mostly automated now, it converts the .GPX file from the GPS I carry.

earbyphil
    Free Member

Er. OK then you deserve the thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Grizedale Bridleways – how snowy?’ is closed to new replies.