Home Forums Bike Forum Grip paste or anti seize compound for slipping seat post.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Grip paste or anti seize compound for slipping seat post.
  • bigginge

So, I’ve got an alloy seatpost in an alloy frame that will slip 1-2 cm within the first ten minutes of me getting on to ride. Currently I have some normal greace in there to stop things seizing up long term, and to let me move things about if necessary, but I’m guessing I need to change this to stop the slipping.

Has anyone had good results using anti seize compound or carbon grip paste on their alloy stetpost/frame before? Will the bike explode if I try either of these and cause irreparable damage to my nether regions?

Also, I’ve done the quick release seat clamp up so tight that I can only just open/close it using two hands.  So I can’t tighten that up any more.

wukfit
    Free Member

Stupid question, but are you sure you’ve the right size post in there?

i would’ve thought that friction paste would be best, but that’s just based on their names

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

I use carbon post on my giant dropper as it doesn’t like to be nipped up tight and it stops it slipping.

vincienup
    Free Member

Grip paste will do the job of anti seize in addition to gripping.

singlespeedstu

Clean all the grease off your post and from the clamping area inside the seat tube.

Push the seatpost back in to the frame them smear a small amount of carbon paste around the post and push it in to the frame and tighten the clamp.

What you want to end up with is grease in the lower part of the seat tube and carbon paste around the clamping area.

nickjb
    Free Member

Is it a Thomson post?

montgomery
    Free Member

I have a second hand frame, nominal 31.6 seatpost and 34.9 clamp. Old 31.6 seatpost slipped. Old 27.2 seatpost in a 31.6 shim slipped. All components worked fine in previous frames. If I did up clamps (two different bolted ones and a QR one, all also previously used without problems) to an eye-popping level of tension, I’d stop the slippage – but they’d creak like buggery, and banana to the extent I suspected imminent spanging off into the undergrowth.

Solution? Bought a USE 27.2-31.8 shim, nice and tight, no slippage, no creak.

patagonian
    Free Member

I had the same problem and ended up changing the clamp for a Salsa Lip Lock, hasn’t slipped since.

parkesie
    Free Member

clean and lube the seat clamp.

patagonian
    Free Member

I tried clean/lube/paste/everything you could think of and the only thing that worked was ditching the quick release for a deeper clamp.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

kcnc do a dual clamp – one bit the size of the seatpost – the other bit normal clamp size. Would be great except the allen bolt heads seem made of cheese so you have to be extra careful if you want to adjust seatpost after original fitting (or change bolts for something not made of cheese)

coomber
    Free Member

Same as above. Had an issue and sorted with a salsa flip lock.  Worth every penny

bigginge

Well, I’ve ordered up some grip paste so if it turns up before I get out again on Thursday I’ll report back as to how it went. Hopefully it won’t be any more expensive to dirt than this.

P.S.  it’s not a Thomson post, I’ve got one of those on the old road rat and never had any bother with it.

Cheezpleez

IME carbon paste isn’t as good as grease at stopping your post seizing in the frame, so keep an eye on it and follow the tip above about greasing the lower portion of the post.

dovebiker

Old bike shop trick – hairspray

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Grip paste or anti seize compound for slipping seat post.’ is closed to new replies.