Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Grid lighting plates for home use?
  • thebunk

I like the idea of grid lighting switch systems for home use – great flexibility and more options *, but I have questions. Firstly, is it simple to fit them in place of existing 2 gang switches? Just the front plate and whichever switch modules I want? Or do I need to do something with the back box and put in a frame?

Secondly, will they make my house look like an office? Are there any nice screwless designs?

* Good for the bathroom 2 gang where I’d like a dimmer for the lights and a switch for the fan. Also potentially use things like this for home automation alongside motion sensors, as we have a phantom light leaver onner in the family.

b33k34

They’re fine. IME MK stuff is the best quality and they do a variety of front plates – up to flat plate stainless or plastic screw less.

Grid switches have a frame that fits onto the back box and then a cover that fits to the frame (which is why the screws are often top and bottom as the side screws are used for the back box/frame)

The switches are fairly bulky compared to a standard switch so you may find your back boxes are not deep enough (or that you’ve very little space for the wiring). If you try to pack it all into too small a space the switches end up sitting slightly crooked which looks terrible.

thebunk

Thanks @b33k34. What’s the option if I do have shallow back boxes? Can I get deeper ones? (sorry, not an expert in this stuff).

b33k34

@thebunk

depends on what your walls are made of where they are positioned. If they’re solid you’d need to chisel out more wall to fit deeper boxes. If they’re plasterboard it might be as simple as pulling out a plastic backbox and slotting another in (but they’re probably painted over and plastered in so likely to mess up some decor)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.