Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Great brakes for decent price
  • astura
    Free Member

Need some better brakes for my hardtail I’m building, currently have deore on it however once they get hot they get a bit naff, also it would be nice to get something that has great stopping power but also lighter at a cheap price, any recommendations?

fisha
    Free Member

Just fit bigger rotors?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

deore. oh wait…

lardman
    Free Member

not especially cheap, but the Shimano Zee’s are about as much brake as you can get for money.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-zee-m640-disc-brake/rp-prod82434

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Considered bigger discs and finned pads?

If not then Zee are very powerful as are Saint.

Hope are a really nice feel with lots of power.

IME

dirkpitt74

What pads and rotors are you running?

escrs
    Free Member

All depends on what you think great brakes for a decent price is

Ive had Shimano XT 8000, Zee & Deore

Sram Guide R, Guide RS, Code R

Along with various other brands

Currently got Hope V4’s

Out of all the brakes the Hope’s are the best, not just for performance but for spares, consistency, warranty and coolness (gotta have some coolness)

Paid £280 for both brakes which to me is a decent price for a great brakes

DezB
    Free Member

great stopping power but also lighter at a cheap price, any recommendations?

2nd hand XTs

wl
    Free Member

Switched to Zees on both my bikes and no regrets. Found them cheapish on Merlin.

dirkpitt74

Or second hand SLX’s if you can’t stretch to the XT’s.

joebristol

I’m hearing all Shimano suggestions – but from what I’ve read Deore are probably the most reliable of the Shimano brakes. Even one bike manufacturer suggests Deore over slx and XT.

Sonif you want to stick Shimano and get more power you can either put bigger rotors and upgrades pads on with your existing brakes (cheapest option) or go for say Zee to get the 4 pot calipers.

What model of Deore brakes have you got – some of the newer models have more power than he old ones – new Deore could be the answer if yours are pre m615 Deore.

Cheap and lighter but more powerful than Deore is going to be a struggle I’d think – if you lose the lighter bit you’ll have more luck.

Sram guide R could be good, as could Magura MT5 / MT trail. Hope E4 / V4 again are good brakes. Formula Cura are getting some good comments on another thread running on here this morning too.

Second hand might be your best bet – I picked up some Sram guide r’s for £80 a few months back – 6 rides in and someone had upgraded to Hope. So original pads barely worn and they even threw in the  expensive Sram bleed kit. I’m using them on the Shimano rotors hat came with the Deore m535 brakes I had before the guides. Massive upgrade in power and feel for me – this is on 160mm discs with organic pads.

My bike fs bike also has the same brakes with 200/180 centreline discs on it and uberbike race matrix pads – they’re really powerful as far as I’m concerned.

DezB
    Free Member

but from what I’ve read

3 bikes, 1 with XTR, 2 with XT – never had any issues (1 set of XTs has aftermarket hoses). My son’s daily used bike with Deores has been the same. The Deores are probably a tad more grabby which makes them feel more powerful.

PrinceJohn

A friend fitted some clarks brakes to his bike – they’re something like £40 for the set…

Chain Reaction link

qwerty
    Free Member

Magura MT Trail Sport.

patriotpro
    Free Member

SLX M7000 were on offer for £49.99 the other day.

ads678

Magura MT Trail Sport.

+1

slackman99
    Free Member

+1 Magura (either trail sport or MT5)

markoc1984

I’ve not tried them personally, but Shimano have released some new Deore 4-pot brakes under the radar, BR-MT520. Bird did a short round up on them before testing them fully and said that they can’t see any reason to spend more on the XT’s.

Can be had for under £150 for the pair.

funkmasterp

I’m currently saving for the Magura MT Trail Sport.

dirkpitt74

Stealth add…

I’ve got some barely used SRAM Level brakes going spare if you’re interested – picked them up for a project that I’ve since not done.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Great brakes for decent price’ is closed to new replies.