Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Gravel/adventure/etc etc bikes that don't have disc brakes
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

After a new frameset that’s going to have plenty of clearance for larger tyres with the geometry of a relaxed gravel/adventure bike or whatever you want to call it.
    Nothing against discs, but recently built some new non-disc wheels that i want to use.
    There’s the usual suspects of Surly, Soma and Velo Orange all along the right lines (and price) but generally quite sporty geometry – i’d like something with a longer head tube.
    Is there anything out there i’m missing or do i just accept i’ll probably end up buying new wheels?
    cheers

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Had no responses to this – does that mean i’m asking for the impossible or it’s a stupid question?!

Daffy

Spa Cycles Tourer?

JoB
    Free Member

Gravel/adventure/etc etc bikes without discs used to be called touring bikes (only half joking)

something like the Surly Cross-Check would be spot on, the geometry isn’t any more sporty than your on-trend gravel bike

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dictating frame choice by wheel choice?

Seems utterly the wrong way round to me.

fenboy

brother cycles keppler, they do a canti version @ £439

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Gravel/adventure/etc etc bikes without discs used to be called touring bikes (only half joking)

I approve of what you did there 😉

I was sold a ‘monstercross’ yet (maybe stubbornly) refer to it as an ‘ATB’. My first ATB ack in ’89-90 was a mid-weight butted cromo rigid bike with 2″ tyres, thumbshifters, rack and guard mounts and Deore MTB components. The so-called ‘monstercross’ I was sold also ticks all of those boxes. Only real appreciable differences are 29 vs 26 and drop bars vs straight. And a fair few hundred quid more 😯

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Dictating frame choice by wheel choice?

Seems utterly the wrong way round to me.

Yep, ordinarily i’d completely agree – but looking at cheap frames, which means wheels will probably have cost more than the frame, so there is some logic to it!

Yep, basically a light comfortable touring bike is what i’m after 🙂 – just one with plenty of tyre clearance.

cheers all

josemctavish
    Free Member

Van Nicholas Amazon has loads of tyre clearance and can be set up for rim brakes. Also has disk brake mounts for when you come to your senses… 😉

fifeandy
    Free Member

Surely an adventure bike is not so adventurous with brakes that only work on dry tarmac

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

adventure bike is not so adventurous with brakes that only work on dry tarmac

Yep, but i have other bikes for adventure – this is more just for rough roads, tow paths etc

surfingobo
    Free Member

On One Pompino? Tyre clearance seems to be limited to about 35c nobblies but apart from that it would seem to tick the boxes?

ElShalimo

A lot of the All City frames are non-disc or disc e.g. Space Horse
    Clicky

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

adventure bike is not so adventurous with brakes that only work on dry tarmac

It’s not the brakes, it’s the adventurous.

slackboy

give these guys a bell?

http://www.keeppedalling.co.uk/

tom200

I’ve got a specialized tricross, not very hip, but basically a light touring/could bike. If they still made
    It it would be an “adventure bike”. Can be had very cheaply.

ElShalimo

Tricross won’t take “big” tyres. It’ll do 38mm at a squeeze if they’re the right sort of profile

scotroutes

Is the right answer

wicki
    Free Member

Sounds like a touring geometry frame would do the trick I have a cheap EBC country traveler taken of the gaurds and plenty of clearence for 40mm.

cookeaa
    mugsys_m8

Might be able to pick up an Uncle John frame and forks form somewhere. Mine has disc mounts on the rear but the fork doesn’t. Both have canti studs.
    DOne the 3 peaks on it, rode Torino Nice Rally on it. Can get WTB nanos in 40mm in with lots of clearance. Rack mounts on rear. Double cage bosses.

Maybe not the most exciting/ fashionable. But it does what you want and is budget more so if you find one as it will be 2nd hand. I think I got mine for £99 new frame and forks.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Thanks all – some great suggestions on there that i hadn’t come across.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Gravel/adventure/etc etc bikes that don't have disc brakes’ is closed to new replies.