Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Gravel tyre suggestions
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I have a bike that currently has Clement X’Plor Ush 120tpi folding tyres on them, 35c versions. I’ve used the 60tpi versions before and they took a decent amount of abuse. My riding encompasses training rides of around 18mph including a bit of road, some gravelly bits and towpath, commuting on a tarmacced cycle path, touring both on and off road and a weekly foray up the Pentlands riding the mellower singletrack.

The Clements are a great tyre, but these spins around the Pentlands seem to be pushing their limits. They’re a bit narrow, and while they do surprisingly well in mud I’ve only used them in the summer. They bottom out a lot on some of the tracks that have bigger gravel on them and on one singletrack descent last week I slashed a sidewall.

I’m after an alternative, ideally either 40 or 42c (my mudguards won’t take much more than 42c) and no more than £20 a tyre. They’ve got to be pretty good on road, so a smooth central belt is what I’d prefer. It’s also got to have some kind of puncture protection and no weigh as much as a mountain bike tyre. And, vainly, it must be plain black and not have a reflective strip on the sidewalls, which rules out almost all the Schwalbe Marathon/Landcruiser offerings. I’ll be running them tubeless, which seems to rule out my first choice – the Continental Speed Ride.

Something like the Specialized Pathfinder looks good, but it’s loads of money. Which has led me to the Schwalbe Hurricane, which looks like a decent budget alternative. Is there anything else I should look at?

jimdubleyou

Something from the Vittoria range – Randonneur maybe (might fall foul of your no reflectives rule though).

parkesie
    Free Member

WTB nano have been alright so far on my commute and gravel bike. The sidewalks took a few goes to seal all the pores with sealant but spot on after the first few rides.

scruff
    Free Member

Nanos are a good compromise tyre, roll decent on blacktop when pumped up, offroad they are good all year round for me with a bit less air in.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Schwalbe CX Comp. The 38c version is actually 622×40 for some reason.

The Sammy Slick is it’s racier cousin, but a lot more puncture prone as there’s less rubber on the central tread.

Can’t comment on it’s ghetto tubeless properties as although I’ve got it to sea I cant get it to hold air, but I’ve concluded that’s probably a limitation of the OKO tractor sealant which isn’t working in my road bike either (been great in the fst bike though).

jamiep
    Free Member

I tested my new to me WTB Nano 40 up the Pentlands last week and was very happy with them. No road buzz; sufficient grip on a few muddy patches; sufficient grip on the most gravelly bits (I don’t know the name – Green Cleugh? (the section with sheep and burn crossing following left turn after climbing Exponential) and Maiden’s Cleugh climb. 10/10 would buy again

edit: the central knobs seem to form a central strip when at high pressure, suiting road. But act more like knobbles for off road at lower pressure

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m running WTB Riddler 37c and they are fine off-road until it gets muddy. I’d go with the Nanos, unfortunately I can’t fit them to this bike due to clearance issues.

easily
    Free Member

I seem to be constantly recommending these: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG/vittoria-revolution-g-graphene-700c-wired-tyre
    They only go up to 38mm, but I do similar riding to you and I find them perfect.

I used to use Riddlers. They were great on the rougher stuff, a touch slower on the smooth, but got an awful lot of punctures. The Revolutions are quick and grippy on the road, take the bumpy canal paths very well, and handle light-to-medium off road. They are good in the wet, but are useless on wet grass. Oh, and I haven’t had puncture since I put them on 3 or 4 months ago.

whitestone
    Free Member

@easily – mine are set up tubeless – complete opposites in how they set up though: the front held pressure for 48hrs without sealant, the rear took three goes of taping and retaping to get it to stay up for ten minutes. It eventually held and both are now fine.

honeybadgerx

WTB Nano’s are great, I just long for a tougher carcass version as the sidewalls aren’t overly tough (though not really any less than other similar tyres), and I’ve had a couple of nicks coming down the Glencorse side of Maiden’s – admittedly the rocks are fairly sharp there. I’ve got a pair of Maxxis Ramblers with EXO side walls, which, being the supportive and caring husband that I am, I’m trying out on the wife’s bike first…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Nanos are very competent all-rounders IME
    Hurricanes are pretty good, fast enough when up to speed, fairly tough but weighty and can slip on wet off-piste climbs or muddy towpaths

Having used both I’d stump for the Nano every time. Only downsides as opposed to Hurricane or similar (for my money) is fast-ish wear-rate and slightly puncture-prone, but I currently use tubes so…

munrobiker
    Free Member

How fast is the Nano on the road? My commute is looking likely to extend to Dalgety Bay next year and I’ll want to get there in under an hour (it’s about 16 miles door to door). The Nano just doesn’t look fit for moderately quick road work, it looks like a mountain bike tyre.

I like the look of the Revolution, in fact it’d be ideal if it came in a 40 and without that bloody reflective stripe.

easily
    Free Member

Whitestone

Oops, sorry – it’s clear you use tubeless now you mention it.

munrobiker

Yeah, I wish they did a 40, that would be perfect for me. I wouldn’t worry about the reflective stripe, I never even notice it.

honeybadgerx

Nano’s are actually pretty good on the road, especially if you pump them up a bit more as others have noted. If you’re after a do everything Pentlands and road tyre they’re great, if you’re happy having two sets then have the Nano’s or maybe Riddlers or similar for the Pentlands and something slicker for the road.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Panaracer Gravel King SKs are a really nice tyre. Had them and WTB Nanos on similar bikes, both set up tubeless, Id say the Gravel Kings are a bit less buzzy on tarmac but still pretty grippy on gravel. Come in plain black and up to 43C:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Gravel tyre suggestions’ is closed to new replies.