Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Gravel seatpost recommendations
  • honourablegeorge

My shiny new gravel bike has a shabby old Thomson on it currently, which started life on my 26″ Soul and has been on three other bikes since then, so it’s covered in scrapes and scratches and is probably due a retirement.

Any recommendations for a replacement in 27.2? Carbon or alu, but decent value, and ideally a bit lighter and comfier than the Thomson (currently thinking I’ll just get another Thomson, tbh)

iainc

Edit, ignore please.

dickie
    Free Member
    abingham

In true STW ‘recommend what you have’ fashion: Enve Layback.

Yes, yes, very spendy – but wonderfully compliant. I’d used Thomsons for years before, but putting the Enve on made them feel like scaffold poles. Deals to be had 2nd hand if you’re lucky too.

oreetmon
    Free Member

RWYH,
    brandx ascend… It’s the future.

momo

DRWYH, Hope carbon post, lovely looking thing but rather stiff!

Had a Deda superleggero on my old bike, oh my that was like a magic carpet ride!

chrisdw
    Free Member

I’ve got an sworks carbon post on mine. Seems good! Very light!

intheborders
    Free Member

For a ‘laugh’ I bought the lightest, cheapest Chinese carbon seat post from ebay.

Weighs 137g and cost £20 delivered.

It’s really comfy and has currently covered over 1000 miles of Scottish gravel/lanes/fire-roads etc.

More than happy.

andrewh
    Free Member

OP if you are selling a 27.2 Thomson pm me. Black and 330 or 410 I’d be interested.
    A scratched up one sounds ideal for my commuter

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I got an old Rockshoc elastomer one off eBay for a tenner. Great for gravel!

honourablegeorge

@andrewh – it’ll be going on my commuter 😀

markgraylish
    Free Member

A dropper post? Depends on whether you’re more at the XC bike end of the spectrum than road bike with knobbly tyres ..

tuboflard

Got a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST Mk2 on my monstercross and it’s great. Not light but that plus the 2.25”s on it make it a very comfy bike for hours in the saddle. If you want to splash out the eSilk post in carbon looks very nice.

honourablegeorge

Just want a regular post, as opposed to suspension/dropper type

nixie

@andrewh I have one on my turbo bike which will be sold once I’ve answered the same question as the op.

andrewh
    Free Member

Sounds good @nixie , I’m in no particular rush so just pm me when it’s available

antigee

[WhatIuse]…2nd hand older style specialized cgr…I also have one of the newer ones on a less used bike and if the design brief said make it doubledoubletriple ugly then it got the job

Futureboy77

I couldn’t get a thomson post so did the same as @intheborders and bought a cheap carbon post of the bay, although I’m sure I was £30.

Wasn’t expecting much but it’s light and nicely finished.

paton
    Free Member

rOcKeTdOg
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Gravel seatpost recommendations’ is closed to new replies.