Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Gravel route round Leeds?
  • b230ftw
    Free Member

To make sure I stay in our area under Tier 3 I want to do a gravel ride round Leeds as it’s a bit flatter than my area (got a bad back) and it’s only a short distance away. Not bothered about cafes or anything but can anyone recommend some routes or trails in East or North Leeds? About 20-25 miles would be perfect.

ElShalimo

Lots of very tame bridleways out that way around Scarcroft, Thorner,  Bramham Park, Aberford, Barwick.

Just look at the OS map layer on Bing Maps and join up the dashed lines

snotrag

East Leeds is my neck of the woods – a gravel bike is ideal round here (the areas mentioned above and further south too). Where are you coming from? Parking up somewhere or coming over on the bike?

ElShalimo

Do you have to stay in your area or your tier?

Tier 3 is quite a big area!!

ads678

You could have a look into the Wetherby Red Kite trail, I haven’t done it myself, but knowing what most of the bridle ways are like round this side of Leeds I reckon it’ll be gravel bike type stuff.

As above though, check OS maps and join up the bridle ways. One of my local routes is Woodlesford along the canal to St Aidens, Allerton Bywater, up to Garforth via the lines then back through Temple Newsem and canal again but this can be extended easily in about every direction….

sparkyrhino

What Ads678 said,can easily be extended by exploring a bit too

b230ftw
    Free Member

Parking up somewhere or coming over on the bike?

Probably parking up somewhere. I’d like to come on the train but want to avoid that right now and don’t want to be stuck in Leeds and can’t get back.

snotrag

Are you on Strava? Taking a look at my history woudl give you loads of good ideas. PM me if you want some further help!

b230ftw
    Free Member

@snotrag thanks, what’s your name on there?

snownrock

@ton to the forum

igm

Snownrock has the answer I think. There may be some Leeds gravel paths Ton doesn’t know – but I doubt it.

meandyuk

I came up with this route when I got my gravel bike – worked out quite well !

https://www.strava.com/routes/25780710

Cowman

Red Kite Trail is a nice few hours of gravel riding.

sboardman

Look up Half Day CC. I rode with them in the before times and that was fab for finding new routes. There’s some on their Komoot page that are worth a look.

jaymoid

Re Wetherby red kite. Great route, muddy in places, advice on here about muddiest bits which might be worth an avoid this time of year: https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wetherby-red-kite-trail-slop-or-not/#post-11475068

b230ftw
    Free Member

Thanks @snotrag, I used one of your rides on Strava as a base for a route and we had a nice 26 mile ride. Very very muddy in places which slowed things down a bit but other pleasant – was happy to have mudguards on for sure!

We did ride for a while on a proper off-road footpath for a while by mistake and it was mega muddy!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Gravel route round Leeds?’ is closed to new replies.