Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Gravel Riding From Torbay.
  • toonfan
    Free Member

Hi all,

We’re heading down to Torbay for a couple of weeks holiday starting this weekend coming. If there’s enough room in the car the gravel bike is coming along as well. Any recommendations for riding in the area? Straight from Paignton would be great but I don’t mind a short drive to get to somewhere not to be missed.

BlobOnAStick

Good choice of bike to take.

Any non A-road in the area would do. I cycled Plymouth – Salcombe a couple of weeks ago (6 of us on holiday, only a 5-seater car). Only 35 miles, but the hardest 35 miles I’ve ever done. Unfortunately I took my road bike.

toonfan
    Free Member

Thanks for that BlobOnAStick. I haven’t much choice really, I’ve killed my MTB so it’s the Gravel bike or nothing I’m afraid. I’ve had a bit of a mess about on Komoot and strava and the height gains look scary!!

cx_monkey

heaps and heaps of stuff to be fair – i know the area north of Paignton well, i.e. the chunk in between there and exeter, and there’s a really big amount of by ways, etc, to be had. OS Explorer OL44 for that area, and OL20 for the area South of there (which I don’t know so well, but still a fair amount of by ways and bridleways) – but a quick look at the map shows there’s less to be had to the south of Paignton. And yeah, the hills are pokey – 1000m in 40km noprobs at all.

toonfan
    Free Member

Thanks, cx_monkey. I’ll get myself the maps and have a bit of an explore when I’m down there. Have you got any GPX files for rides in the area by any chance?

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Maybe worth driving to Newton Abbot. There is cycle path from there to Bovey Tracey. Then you have options:
    1. Turn left and head to Dartmoor.
    2. Go straight on there’s more cycle path to Mortenhampstead
    3. Go right and Haldon trail centre is a few miles away

All have gravel options if you have a look on the maps.

Slightly further afield there’s really nice gravel riding from Steps Bridge, to Clifford and then Fingle Bridges. You could make that part of a lengthy loop including Mortenhampstead.

toonfan
    Free Member

Maybe worth driving to Newton Abbot. There is cycle path from there to Bovey Tracey. Then you have options:
    1. Turn left and head to Dartmoor.
    2. Go straight on there’s more cycle path to Mortenhampstead
    3. Go right and Haldon trail centre is a few miles away

All have gravel options if you have a look on the maps.

Slightly further afield there’s really nice gravel riding from Steps Bridge, to Clifford and then Fingle Bridges. You could make that part of a lengthy loop including Mortenhampste

Thanks for that Andy. I’ve had a mess about with the route planner on Strava.

Ride from Paignton to Newton Abbot and then follow the cycle path to Bovey Tracey.

Turn left to Dartmoor and over to Widdecombe in the Moor.

Then down to Ashburton onto Totnes and then back to Paignton.

46 miles, that should keep me out of mischief for a while.

DavidB
    Free Member

If you want a big day out head to Totnes then follow NCN 2 to Plymouth. Pick up Drakes trail to Yelverton, nip to Burrator then over to Princetown on old railway track. Back home via Hexworthy, Ashburton, Kingskerswell.

I’ve done this on my gravelpoon from Brixham

toonfan
    Free Member

That sounds like a really big day out DavidB. How many miles would that be??

devbrix
    Free Member

There’s loads of gravel/bridleways south of Totnes towards Dartmouth and some stunning scenery and views to boot. It’s all pretty easy around S Devon to plan a route off an OS map and nothing too extreme. The other person who regularly rides good gravel routes in the area is professional rider Juliet Elliot who lives locally – she’s on Strava and does a lot of YouTube so you can see what the routes are like.

DavidB
    Free Member

@toonfan 80-90 miles

Be aware that a lot of bridleways/byways near Totnes/Dartmouth are unrideable due to brambles, ferns and general lack of farmer maintenance. The recent rain has churned a lot up as well and it is still pretty damp.

toonfan
    Free Member

@DavidB 80 – 90 miles is probably a bit too big for me mate. Thanks for the heads up on the state of some of the trails. I’ll keep it in mind.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Gravel Riding From Torbay.’ is closed to new replies.