Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Gravel dilemma
  • montylikesbeer

I have a Camino rival 1 arriving in a few weeks and due to a lack of confidence on the big hills in east Lancashire Neil at Sonder is swapping out my ordered 40t chain ring with a Sram oem 38t ring.

If I need to build on my attempted fitness can I direct swap out the Sram Rival 1 Crankset GXP / 172.5mm / 38 ring with an Absolute Black CX 1X OVAL DIRECT MOUNT Ring.

It all looks ok to me but I’d like a view from the collective

Cheers in advance

kerley
    Free Member

If your Rival one is Direct mount then yes as stated in compatibility on Absolute Black site.

Personally I wouldn’t worry about 2 teeth on the front though assuming you have a typical gravel bike dinner plate rear cog.

montylikesbeer

Thanks Keeley, I think the cranks are direct mount as the spider connects via this mount.

I’m guessing I’ve got this right.

As for the hills my mtb is 1 x 12 (11-50) and I can get up everything locally, perhaps I’m being a little over cautious

kerley
    Free Member

If you get down to 60 rpm on those gears you will be doing 4.25mph on 38/42 or 4.5mph on 40/42 so to me at that point (walking pace) I wouldn’t see the point but you may do.

Looking at picture of Camino Rival they do indeed appear to be the direct mount so the Absolute Black Direct Mount SRAM GXP will fit.

b230ftw
    Free Member

If you get down to 60 rpm on those gears you will be doing 4.25mph on 38/42 or 4.5mph on 40/42 so to me at that point (walking pace)

Walking pace up hills? – now that’s MY wheelhouse. 😂😂

Not everyone is fit enough to burn up the hills!

BigR

I use a 32/40 on my Arkose on steep hills and when loaded,it would be a pretty brisk walk to keep up. I prefer to have a gear in reserve rather than crank up a long hill with nowhere to go.

robertpb
    Free Member

60 revs and 4.25mph seems to my old 70 year old legs that the hill is not steep enough. Also I’ve found that a 38 is a good choice if you are riding more towards mtb than touring with a gravel bike.

montylikesbeer

Thanks folks, I’m a 57 year old on a journey to a level of fitness

My old Ribble 7005 had a triple on the front end I could get up anything around Rossendale and Hebden Bridge way ( sometimes with a stop to admire the view 😉) Going 1 x on the road/gravel I just possibly need some more reassurance.

Thanks for the advise all

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve found I can get my gravel bike with 42t & 11-42 up the same climbs as my MTB’s with 32t & 10-50.

Only difference is that I’ll be standing up on the gravel bike (but it suits the geo).

Hilly Scottish Borders.

Elbows

I have the same issue as you and swapped out my 40t ring for a 38t. It helped a lot with climbing and not feeling inept when I started.
    I ride a lot in mixed forests with typically 500m climbing per ride. When standing I was just spinning the rear wheel.
    I stuck with the 38t until my fitness levels got to a point where the 38t felt very comfortable and now swap out the chain ring depending on the ride I am doing, but generally 42t for summer and 38t for winter or if I am going to the Alps with big climbing days.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Gravel dilemma’ is closed to new replies.