Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Gravel bike tyres for mud.
  • alongo
    Free Member

Did about 4 hrs on gravel bike yesterday , 90 % off road , it was very muddy. I was sliding and wheel spinning all over on Schwalbe G Ones, which came with the bike. Has anyone got any suggestion for a reasonable priced tyre that copes with mud .

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not tried them myself, but X One Bites are supposed to be decent.

jimdubleyou

Dunno if you can still get them, but Schwalbe CX Pro.

I’ve still got a pair for the one time I might need them…

jobro
    Free Member

Terravail Rutland in 700c are a great allrounder. WTB Sendero if your bike will take a big tyre. These are my winter set up now and they are doing really well. Very sloppy in the New Forest yesterday and the Rutlands performed perfectly. Used the Sendero’s in heavy Purbeck clay the week before without issue.

qwerty
    Free Member

Vittoria Terreno Wets come in 31/33/40c, they are very good, not cheap, but I managed to find a pair of 33c on Amazon for £25 each. 40c would make a good trail orientated tyre. They roll well for a mud tyre too.

trailwagger
    Free Member

WTB nanos are brilliant. They cope with mud as well as any other gravel tyre but are still very ridable in all other conditions. Brilliant tyre.

epicyclo

Or just try dropping the pressure…

boombang
    Free Member

Good call on the nanos, I used to swap between them and X-ones before realising the nanos did everything as well or better and were dead easy to fit tubeless.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve been really impressed with these v a resolute

IMG_20191222_134034

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Bonty CX3 excellent in mud

spooky_b329

I use Nano’s for all conditions. Thin centre ridge for road, open self cleaning tread for gloop.

lcj

Did my first ride on WTB Resolutes today (bike came with Byways) and they coped with sticky mud, loam, sand and tarmac brilliantly. Can’t imagine needing more grip i.e. Sendero

st4nley
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hruZMT]Sonder Camino Ti[/url] by Tony Hall, on Flickr

Can also recommend Senderos for mud.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Gravel King SKs weren’t that bad on Saturday’s mega muddy ride…650b, come up at 50mm on my rims, about 20 psi…

kayak23

Anyone tried these Conti tyres in the odd bit of muddy grass?

Need something for the dog walking bike that’ll cope with sodden park paths and grass.

kilo

+1 for Vittoria Terrenos. Excellent tyres and reliable to fit tubeless.

ta11pau1

Another for Senderos. Great tyres in muddy conditions.

p7eaven
    Free Member

+1 Nanos. A versatile tyre*

*Disclaimer being that there is mud, and there is also mud

If you’re typically 90% off road and it’s typically muddy then I’d also give the Terreno wet a look. Or a mountain bike 😎

MoreCashThanDash

I switched to Terreno Mixed and had a first ride out on them last night. Much more confident in the occasional muddy patches, and went on tubeless with just a track pump.

antigee

Thread resurrection!
    Another vote for Gravel King sk’s
    As to the OP swalbe g-ones are horrible in the wet. < that’s a full stop

chestrockwell

I’ve got some one ride old 650b Senderos I might sell on if you’re interested?

Came on my Trig but replaced for some more road friendly rubber.

kayak23

I’m after 700c cheers 👍
    Plus they’re a little high on budget for dog walking.

Anyone tried these Conti Terra trail?

ampthill

I have Vittoria Terrano dry on my bike 47mm 650b. They have been fab all summer but will need more grip soon

So how do Senderos compare to Terravail Rutland. I’m thinking the Senderos will be more grip but less good grip?

ampthill

Doh “more grip and more rolling resistance”

birdage

Where’s the best place to get Rutlands?

rOcKeTdOg

Where’s the best place to get Rutlands?

Rutland cycles? 😉

llama

Can’t tell the difference between 47mm sendero and 2inch ranger, and rangers are often cheaper.

scaredypants

for ded muddy cx courses:

Clement BOS on the back (like a tactor tyre)
    Schwalbe X-one bite on the front

They seem to offer a bit better traction than the riders around me in races (Limus etc) – or else I’m just heavier than them so I cut through easier 😳

timf

I’m after 700c cheers 👍
    Plus they’re a little high on budget for dog walking.

Anyone tried these Conti Terra trail?

I have got them on the back of my Giant revolt, (with WTB Nano on front, replacing the back Nano which wore out ) seem to work Ok in ‘light mud’/ ‘grass with muddy bits’ and roll ok on tarmac. But they do get clogged up in sticky mud.

they are a sort of Gravel bike version of the Conty Race Kings I have on my Fargo.

birdage

Rutland Cycles. Very Poor! 🤣

hardtailonly

Following this thread with interest. Anyone tried the Terreno wet up front with a Terreno mixed at the rear?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Where’s the best place to get Rutlands

Sigma or The Wood Cyclery

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Gravel bike tyres for mud.’ is closed to new replies.