Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • GPS watch found next to ladybower
  • davros

GPS watch found this afternoon next to ladybower. Looks like it was a walker rather than a biker. Any ideas who I can tweet to try to get it back to the owner? I could only think of ride Sheffield and keeper of the peak.

Aidy
    Free Member

Upload an activity from it to Strava, see who it suggests you were with?

davros

Don’t think I can upload from it as it will only pair with a phone it recognises. I’ll have a play to see what it will do.

andy5390

Were you on your bike, using Strava?? If so, have a look at the fly by thing, and see if there’s an activity that stopped where you found it

Trimix
    Free Member

Are there not any way points loaded up on it ? Post a thread on the outdoor type forums and see who claims its theirs.

CraigW
    Free Member

What sort of watch is it?
    If its a Garmin, could plug it into a computer and download any activities or waypoints. Though would need a suitable cable.

sockpuppet

Plug it into a computer and see if you can see the activities in finder/file explorer.

If you can, upload an old one (not the most recent which may not have synced) to your Strava and see who you ‘rode with’.

Then add a comment to one of their other recent activities

davros

Well it was recording an activity which I ended and saved. But the only way of uploading it would be to sync the watch to my account so then the activity would then show as my activity. I can’t really see a way around that issue.

I’ve checked my Strava flybys and as expected the activity isn’t there because it hasn’t uploaded to Strava. The only info I can get from the watch settings is that it’s a woman born 1948! I’ve sent Garmin a pm to see if they can identify the account from the watch serial number.

I’ve connected it to my laptop with a lead but I can’t open any of the files because the file types aren’t recognised.

davros

Ok I can get into the fit files with a gpx viewer but it doesn’t give me any info to identify the person.

sl2000

You need to do exactly what @sockpuppet suggests:

Plug it into a computer and see if you can see the activities in finder/file explorer.

If you can, upload an old one (not the most recent which may not have synced) to your Strava and see who you ‘rode with’.

Then add a comment to one of their other recent activities

The watch owner has probably uploaded her earlier activities to Strava. So you need to upload one of those (e.g. from a week ago) to your Strava account. You’ll then show as having walked together.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/07/how-to-upload-your-garmin-workout-during-the-outage.html has instructions for uploading an activity.

Good luck finding the owner!

davros

Ok thanks, I think I follow. This is hoping they use Strava and not just Garmin connect!

CraigW
    Free Member

If there’s a few files starting/finishing from the same place, could give you a clue where they live.

davros

Thanks all, found her! Sl2000 and sockpuppet figured it with the manual activity upload. I’ve sent her a message on Strava and found her on Facebook. 😀

Superficial
    Free Member

Wow that’s impressive – well done!

sockpuppet

Great news – glad it’ll find it’s home.

db

Amazing stalking! I’m worried you have done this before…

stevextc
    Free Member

So just out of ignorance … Jnr had his garmin watch stolen last day of primary school…. it’s paired to my phone so can I trace it somehow?
    The thief has been showing it off on social media and taunting my kid but reading this is it still locked to my phone?

Superficial
    Free Member

Never mind that, go and crack some heads?

nedrapier

So just out of ignorance … Jnr had his garmin watch stolen last day of primary school…. it’s paired to my phone so can I trace it somehow?
    The thief has been showing it off on social media and taunting my kid but reading this is it still locked to my phone?

yeah, what superficial said. record vid in case it’s deleted. Police or just go round!?!?

nedrapier

Well done davros, I did a similar thing with an ipod shuffle with Nike plus after a half marathon. It was named and Nikki’s iPod, with her time for the run (and a great selection of tunes). emailed organisers saying you’ve got Nikki A and Nicky B who finished at around this time, can you ask them if they’ve lost something.

Very satisfying, stalking. I can see the attraction!

Nice to have a decent reason to do it this time.

Last 2 words are for ha ha jokes. Thought about a winky face, but didn’t think that would help clarify anything!

davros

Update: the owner’s sister responded via Strava this week. She was very happy and grateful I took the time to find them. It was a present from her kids and she’d been looking for a replacement. Vivioactive 3 so not cheap! I was lucky I have a similar watch so I was able to use the lead to access the files.

Thanks again for the help 🍻

stevextc
    Free Member

Some kids found the kids GoPro at Windhill and handed it to one of the volunteers who helps out.
    He checked it and found the kids Instagram and DM’d us….

stevextc
    Free Member

yeah, what superficial said. record vid in case it’s deleted. Police or just go round!?!?

Can’t really do that without proof…. I just checked the App and it’s a Vivosmart4 but say’s last sync 2nd March….

dannyh
    Free Member

Glad this has a happy ending.

Hopefully the irony of a lost GPS doesn’t pass anyone by….

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘GPS watch found next to ladybower’ is closed to new replies.