Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • GPS Buying Help
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I know this was done to death in the old forums but since that is all gone I am going to have to ask again!

After a GPS unit with some Christmas cash, I have looked around and although the Satmaps look good the cost is putting me off and I am swaying towards the Garmin units and more specifically the 705 with all its cycle functions. Firstly is there anything else I should be looking at GPS wise, either from Garmin or elsewhere that is in the same price bracket.

Secondly with the Garmin I am trying to get my head round all the options. I have looked at the MTB kit one available from Wiggle (and others) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Garmin_Edge_705_MTB_Performance_Package/5360035898/ which seems to come with all the necessary bike options but also GB Topo mapping. On top of this what else am I going to require for general use? How good is the Topo mapping that comes bundled with it, I am presuming it is not going to be the best out there for that price? If this map software is not what I need then what would users recommend that is compatible with the Garmin unit? Memory map to stick on my PC or similar? I am a complete virgin to all the GPS lark so I need a bit of a bluffers guide as to what I need to get going with it for the first time!

Dibbs
    Free Member

If you’re looking for a GPS to do some training, the 705 is a great bit of kit.
    The TOPO software isn’t brilliant but its better than the Basemap offroad (it shows contours, tree cover and paths, but doesn’t differenciate between footpaths and bridleways).
    If you go for the TOPO mapping, get it on CD, not SD card, as you can’t load the SD card version on your PC.
    You’ll also need something like Memory-Map (or Tracklogs) for planning routes to transfer to the 705.
    Do a search I’m sure you’ll find a better price than the Wiggle price.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Thanks Dibbs, dont worry, not necessarily going with Wiggle just first place I looked at, I can probably get my LBS to do same or cheaper price anyway which I would prefer. So is the Topo software for the GPS unit or the PC ie. if I get Memory map/Tracklogs software will it replace the Topo software or will the Topo software always be on the GPS unit and then memory map on my PC, if that make sense!

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

I don’t believe that the Garmin will use the maps you get with MM, it will instead use the topo maps that are supplied with it. Its something to do with licensing and using OS maps, etc.

However, one thing that does seem to be over looked is that should you plan a route on MM, then you may wish to convert it to a “.crs” file for which you will want to acquire “GPX2crs”, a little program that works a treat.

I’ve an edge 305, I plan routes in MM, convert them to .crs files and then upload to the unit. The 305 does fine without having a map displayed, but if you think you need the map on a display and if you have the cash, then why not.

As mentioned, the Garmin units are very good training aids.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy whatever you splash your cash on.

CC

mamadirt
    Free Member

pulls up a chair and counts Christmas (and anticipated birthday) money 😉
    Anyone using one of the Garmin eTrex range for mtb? Seems to be more reasonably priced than the Edge.

Ashley
    Free Member

I have just got that same 705 package for Christmas after being a long term user of the eTrex range. I must say the size is better but it actually doesn’t offer much more in Navigation over the eTrex itself apart from the colour base Topo map.

I also can’t get it to work with my Memory Map which is proving to be a massive pain too – in fact I am wasting hours on trying to get it working. I am now resorting to a multi step approach of using .gpx files and transferring it between the training centre (Garmin supplied) and my Memory Map.

Also – I have my old eTrex Vista for sale (was the old top of the range but not the newer Hcx model). I have supposedly sold it but then the buyer has gone a bit quiet but I guess it is Christmas so I do need to give them a smidge more time. If it does fall through though – It’s a great package and includes leads, car mounts, several bike mounts, car charger & PC lead and a nice little cover too all for £60 posted.

Free Member

Ashley,

If you still have the GPS and no buyer, i’d be happy to buy it from you.

Either a post here on STW or an email to: Jonathan @ Intelligent-technology.co.uk

cheers,
    Jonathan

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I recently got a Garmin eTrex Legend. I only wanted one to give me information on routes, rather than worrying about HR, cadence, etc. and it’s been really good. Didn’t take me long to figure out how it works and was esy to configure to memory map too. Garmin also offer all the upgrade software and manuals on their website, even though they don’t make them anymore.

I got mine cheap off ebay, but had to spend an extra couple of quid on a serial to USB convertor. All in though, cost me less than £60 for the whole package. I’m really happy with it.

The only problem I did have was that it kept turing itself off if I rode over really rough ground. Easily cured by sticking a thin strip of inner tube onto the back of the battery cover.

Ashley
    Free Member

Jontwan –

I’ll bear it in mind. I have to go off shortly first to my Parents and then stay overnight before the in-laws tomorrow so I won’t be back before then.

If I haven’t heard from florabank by then then I guess it will be okay.

Ashley

Dibbs
    Free Member

If you can’t get the 705 to work with Memory-Map, make sure you have the latest version, they brought out a updated version around May/June to deal with the 605/705.

garethw
    Free Member

Hi

I use mapmyride.com to map out my rides. I use a intel mac and I would like to download the rout to a gps unit. I’m not bothered about heart rate or anything like that. I just want to know when i get to a junction which way to go. Can anyone advise which model would be the best to do this ?

thanks

Gareth

shaggy

I’m tempted by the 705 too… But can anyone confirm for me that you can get an OS grid ref off it?

thanks

Daffy

The satmap is a phenomenal bit of kit, maps are expensive though and it won’t work from the top of my bag, it has to be on the bars…which is a pain.

Dibbs
    Free Member

The Edge 705 will give you OS grid refs.

boblo
    Free Member

The 705 is a bit new to me so still feeling my way around.

Question for Dibs:
    The MM map update, is it a new version, a patch or…? I have MM 5.0 and can export to GPX which can then be copied to the GPX directory on the 705. Not sure if there are any limitations on what info is carried across in the GPX file and how this might compromise the 705?

I’ve seen references to GPX2CRS converters (apparently the Garmin native file format) but haven’t used this (yet) to download tracksd to the unit, just used the GPX export method.

Are you now able to download MM maps to the unit rather than buying the Garmin/Navteq products?

That was more than one question wasn’t it?

Bob

Ashley
    Free Member

Jonathan,

YHM (well should do shortly anyway).

Ashley

Dibbs
    Free Member

It should be version 5.2.7.
    You can’t send Memory-Map mapping to a 705.
    You can only transfer Garmin Mapsource mapping to a 705.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

i got a 305 – works fine, and with all the software out there (not necessarily garmin stuff) I didn’t really see the point of the 705 – more money to tell me the same info.

Dibbs
    Free Member

But I thought a 305 won’t even give you a OS grid ref.

boblo
    Free Member

pk-ripper – Member
    i got a 305 – works fine, and with all the software out there (not necessarily garmin stuff) I didn’t really see the point of the 705 – more money to tell me the same info

I would agree with this. I also have a basic Etrex, a Cateye bike computer and a Polar AXN300. Together they provide all the same info as the 705; time, distance, route, altitude and HRM functions.

The info is a bit more convenient in one package, just have to find my way around some of the limitations of the 705. Battery life would be my no 1 contender.

Dibbs, if a MM Map can’t be exported to the 705, what does version 5.2.7 allow you to do that prior versions doesn’t?

Bob

pk-ripper
    Free Member

can’t say i’ve ever needed that in my 33 years of life so far! I’m sure there’s an iphone app that would should i really need one.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Dibbs, if a MM Map can’t be exported to the 705, what does version 5.2.7 allow you to do that prior versions doesn’t?

I couldn’t transfer tracks until the update.

Battery life is claimed to be 15 hours, I’ve left mine switched on, on the bike overnight and its still running in the morning.

My 705’s replaced an eight year old eTrex Vista & a Polar S710 BTW

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘GPS Buying Help’ is closed to new replies.