Home Forums Bike Forum Gorilla tape removal

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Gorilla tape removal
  • notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Does anyone know an easy way to remove the residue from gorilla tape?
    Removed previous tape to have wheel repaired.
    Know I Keep getting air leaks through spoke holes so assume it’s the tape not giving a good enough seal

weeksy

GT-85 does the job well with it.

Furniture polish ain’t bad.

stumpy120
    Free Member

White spirit

chakaping

Think I used alcohol (IPA – but not the beer kind, that’s too hoppy) last time.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Solvents, lots of solvents, and an enclosed space

fooman

Warm it up with a hair dryer and dab it off with the sticky side of another bit of tape is the cleanest way.

joebristol

I found a small amount of white
    spirit on a rag got residue from yellow tubeless tape (may have been wtb) off fairly easily. Was still annoying though as it wasn’t my wheel and I’d been asked to set it up tubeless on the basis it was already taped. The tape had about 5 holes / rips in it though so I took the whole lot off / cleaned it up and re-taped it.

If you have the gaffer style gorilla tape (I.e. not the clear one) it’s meant to be a right pain to get off though…..

retro83
    Free Member

This stuff will do it I reckon:

De‐Solv‐it® Sticky Stuff ® Remover

I used it to remove the remnants of badges from my car boot which some scrotum had kindly snapped off.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Thanks all. White spirit did the job.

joshvegas
    Free Member

When all else fails lighter fluid is amazing stuff for removing shit from. Shit.

Northwind

WHite spirit works up to a point but if it’s been on a long time and has left behind bits of tape, it struggles. Petrol works reasonably well on that though.

Terrible stuff tbh, I’ll never let it near a wheel again. The clear stuff isn’t as bad for residue but it also doesn’t work as well

RicB

Useful tip (from Northwind I think) is to always put a layer of black electrical tape on the rim first, then overlay the Gorilla tape.

Makes it much easier to remove.

Northwind

That one’s not mine, my recommendation for gorilla tape is to not use it on bikes ;) Electrical tape actually works fine as tubeless tape by itself.

mattyfez

Lighter fluid is methanol I belive, so for all intents and purposes does the same job as ethanol (IPA) in this context.

Cheap and it works but it evaporates quickly so you have to work it before it evaporates.

gavstorie
    Free Member

The easiest way to remove the residue is to stick a new bit of gorilla tape on it. The new tape will lift the residue although it might take a couple of goes to lift it..

kaiser
    Free Member

late reply I know but surely acetone should work in future ? If not then MEK has always worked on virtually any sticky residue or unpleasant substance I want to remove

maccruiskeen

Lighter fluid is methanol I belive, so for all intents and purposes does the same job as ethanol (IPA) in this context.

Its Petroleum Naphtha – (methanol is sometimes referred to as ‘Wood Naphtha though).

That said once I’ve mixed it with Fanta I can’t really taste the difference.

simondbarnes

does the same job as ethanol (IPA)

Ethanol and IPA are 2 different chemicals.

sharkattack

Useful tip (from Northwind I think) is to always put a layer of black electrical tape on the rim first, then overlay the Gorilla tape.

I came here to say this. Gorilla tape is good stuff but the glue it leaves behind is a nightmare.

A couple of runs of electrical tape will keep your rims clean.

qwerty
    Free Member

Gorillas have the biggest testicals of all the primates.

sv
    Free Member

Paraffin/kerosene also works well.

sharkattack

Gorillas have the biggest testicals of all the primates

Actually the opposite is true. Gorillas have tiny nuts because they have long term mates and don’t need to compete for breeding opportunities.

More promiscuous primates have much bigger junk as their love gravy has to fight for supremacy.

qwerty
    Free Member

Sharkattack – apparently, due to having a harem of females gorillas have a small penis as no need to see off the competition with a huge one, but have the biggest testicals as they have to produce a lot of semen to share around their harem. Chimpanzee on the other hand, have a big penis but small testicals but need to see off other males for a one night stand.

This came up in a pub quiz the other night and the host got the answer wrong, a lady who has studied this at degree level stood up and stated the above.

I feel that this may be worthy of its own thread….

sharkattack

Can’t believe you’re making me Google this stuff!

Male chimpanzees are much larger than females, and they have a multi-male to multi-female mating system. Essentially, male chimps have sex all the time with any female and with any excuse. A female therefore may contain sperm from multiple partners at any one time, which puts the sperm itself – and not just the animals that produce it – into direct competition. For this reason, chimpanzees have evolved huge testicles in order to produce massive amounts of sperm, multiple times a day.

Male gorilla are also much larger than females, but they have a polygynous or harem-style mating system where many females live with a single male. With little or no competition actually inside the uterus, gorillas have had no need for a testicular arms race to facilitate the production of more and more sperm. Their testes, therefore, are relatively small. This is similar to modern humans, whose testes are also of very modest size and produce a relatively small amount of sperm. In fact human sperm count reduces by more than 80% if men ejaculate more than about two times a day.

Sounds like someone was desperate for some points in a pub quiz and she done you over with the old “I studied this at degree level” line.

wukfit
    Free Member

I regularly have to remove duct tape from boats (sometimes it’s been baked on for months), by far the best thing to use is petrol
    You need to wash off the sticky solution with soapy water, but the hole process is so quick and easy

qwerty
    Free Member

To be honest, it did sound like bollocks.

chakaping

the hole process

I’m confused, are we still talking about genitalia?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Gorilla tape removal’ is closed to new replies.