Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Google maps cycling / sustrans support
  • Cougar

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/11/google-and-sustrans-join-forces-bring-bike-navigation-to-uk-map/

Finding a safe route to ride your bike is set to be easier than ever as cycling routes are made available on UK Google Maps for the first time today at 5pm [Wednesday 11 July], following collaboration between charity Sustrans and Google.

In a ground-breaking move for cyclists and would-be cyclists, National Cycle Network routes across the UK can now be navigated online using a new bicycle symbol on Google Maps, alongside the options of driving, public transport and walking.

\o/

GrahamS

Complete with nauseating heartwarming video.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lucys-cycling-treasure-hunt-video

What I don’t get is why Sustrans has given Google this route data – but not offered it to OpenStreetMap – especially as OSM maps are used for the main cycling apps (OpenCycleMap, BikeHub, CycleStreets, MotionX GPS, etc).

i can only assume Google paid them a lot of money for it – which is no bad thing either.

GrahamS
    cp

I noticed the bike option earlier. Seems to work very well.

woody2000

Cyclestreets now offer the whole of the map data as an offline download, no data connection needed in general use.

Just saying like 🙂

cp

I speak too soon. Doesn’t work very well trying to use the transpennine bridleway north of sheffield!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Strange that the Google routes don’t use Sustrans routes in Southampton
    Where transport direct does…

http://www.transportdirect.info/web2/journeyplanning/findcycleinput.aspx

GrahamS

The CycleStreets/OSM data is slightly less complete than the Sustrans maps, but it is generally more detailed and accurate, as it is created by surveying the area on the ground and includes stuff like road surface, lighting, speed limits, traffic calming, gates, crossings etc – which CycleStreets then uses in its routing.

I’ve just mailed the OSM UK (talk-gb) mailing list to see if anyone has approached Sustrans for this data before.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem to have hit my (Android) phone yet though… And Cyclestreets does seem very good, I like the Open Street Map stuff, seems well populated.

GrahamS

I like the Open Street Map stuff, seems well populated.

Do please get stuck in and help out. 😀 It’s very easy to edit the map, add details to your local area or fix any mistakes.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners%27_guide

CountZero

Sustrans have their own route map app for the iPhone/iPad, not sure about Android. The reason they haven’t shared their map data is because it’s Ordnance Survey based.

GrahamS

Their “route map” doesn’t do actual routing though. It’s just overlays their maps on OS maps.

The background maps Sustrans use in their app are OS OpenData so compatible with OSM.

But their routes are vector based anyway so available separately from the background (which is what google will have got from them).

DavidB
    Free Member

The Sustrans site and routes are a complete pile of poo. I’ve spent the past few weeks transferring them by hand into Tracklogs to plan some epics. Personally I think the Google implementation is a bit poo as well, it means I have to navigate with my smartphone rather than a proper bike GPS. If I had time I’d sit down with a coding hammer and sort it all out. But it’s slipped below “learning Portugese” on the list.

GrahamS

The Sustrans site and routes are a complete pile of poo. I’ve spent the past few weeks transferring them by hand into Tracklogs to plan some epics.

They are MUCH more usable on an iPad than they are on the Sustrans site.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Have done a bit of adding and editing near where I used to live but there was already a lot of mapping completed already. Since the children arrived and I moved I haven’t done any to be honest. The local woods could probably use a bit of input to be honest. Might inspire me to explore a bit more this summer…

sas
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Do please get stuck in and help out. It’s very easy to edit the map, add details to your local area or fix any mistakes.

Apparently I signed up for an OSM account in 2007 and never used it. Well now I’ve just done my first edits, merging in some DfT cycle infrastructure data. Would appreciate it if an OSM expert could check I haven’t royally bodged things up, same username as here.

CountZero

The Sustrans site and routes are a complete pile of poo. I’ve spent the past few weeks transferring them by hand into Tracklogs to plan some epics.
    They are MUCH more usable on an iPad than they are on the Sustrans site.

Well, they are designed for ordinary folks to check they’re on the right route and heading in the right direction.
    On that basis, it’s perfectly adequate, it’s not really aimed at the mapping requirements of most of the people on here.

GrahamS

Nice one sas. I’ll be glad to take a look at your edits tomorrow.
    Will message you via OSM.

GrahamS

Teh Gruaniad seem pretty unimpressed with Google Maps, as do the folk they have testing it on twitter.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2012/jul/12/google-maps-uk-cycle-routes

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Google maps cycling / sustrans support’ is closed to new replies.