Home Forums Chat Forum Goodyear Eagle F1 alternatives?

• This topic has 22 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 alternatives?
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yes I know a what tyre thread. Urgh.

The S60R needs new shoes and seeing as it’s just had £500 of service and is having two new Monroe electric dampers at mega bucks, a new set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3’s is feeling a bit spendy at the moment @ £120+ a corner.

Having not shod my ovlovs in anything but F1’s in over a decade is there anything you  lot can recommend that might come in a little more modestly price but still with good performance. Tyres are a 235/40/R18

Bear in mind that this is a 300bhp/400nM Volvo not gratherfathers old 760 estate…

Cheers

hodgynd
    Free Member

Watching with interest as I have the 20″ version on one car and the 18″ on another ..a good way off needing any but they are pricey !

255/40 R20..& 245 / 45 R18

redmex
    Free Member

I thought they were the dogs bollocks superior grip to anything else but the cracked rubber in the grooves put me off them, i managed to easily get two years out them so may be an age thing. I bought them through Amazon £65 a corner but 225/45 r17 so smaller. Uniroyal rain tyres on now

votchy
    Free Member

Dont think you’ll get anything as good as F1’s at £120 a corner (where is that by the way, I shelled out 165 ea for mine?)

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Blackcircles  –  £120.98 fitted or £105 tyre only had another £25 off on top as well IIRC.

Tyres on the drive are 121.99 each but there is 10% off 4 tyres currently.

mattyfez

I always preferred toyo proxes to eagles but for a daily driver I’d go continental or Uniroyal Rainsport

andyl
    Free Member

Michelin Pilot Sport 4? £80 off a set of 4 at Costco at the moment.

Wondering whether to go for a full set and get rid of the barely worn cheap tyres on the front of the E-class while I am getting the backs done. I wish mine were only £120 a corner 🙁

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Used to be a fan of Eagle F1s but now very much liking the Michelin PS4s.

They came out top in Evo magazines tyre test too.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Upsettingly they are even more spendy than F1’s 😭

andyl
    Free Member

Well yes, but they should last longer from my experience of Michelins.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

What sort of mileage are you getting out of them?

Ive had at least 25k out my last set of F1’s and that’s not taking much care of them at all and they are down to 2.5-3mm.

The AWD makes a massive difference compared to my old FWD 320bhp S60 which used to eat fronts in about 8k miles.

andyl
    Free Member

Not had them on this car yet. Had them on my old Peugeot diesel and they seemed to hold their grip well as they wore more than other tyres. Have P-Zeros on the back of this car but not been hugely impressed with their wet traction as it can wheelspin in the damp at 50mph when you kick down, but it does have 500Nm of torque.

Costco have £80 off a set of 4 Michelins at the moment (19″ and up, others a bit less) so tempted to just put a full set on. Rears are £190 and fronts £120 so 2 new fronts will “only” cost me £160

andyl
    Free Member

I think it is also quite well known that they do tend to last well. I know Michelin’s marketing claim around 5k miles and I always take that with a pinch of salt but I have had tyres which have lasted half that, they were Falkens and Toyos though which were pretty soft and about half the price.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I went back through the file and so far I can only find the receipt for 5 tyres, a set of four I put on when I bought the car, and one when I had a puncture. I’m usually pretty good at keeping everything for this one and the tyres are on 3 @ 2.6mm and one at 4.8mm which makes me wonder if I’m still on the first set from 2015… I can’t quite believe that can be the case as other wise they have done about 40k miles however I have looked back through the last four services and they the tyres depths seem to suggest this might actually be the case!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Andyl..don’t know if I’m being thick here ..but did you mean 50k out of Michelins ….?

5k makes them a pretty shit tyre !

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

FYI – MyTyres eBay store has As2’s and As3’s (unfitted) at a reasonable price though you have to scroll through loads as the identical tyres are at several prices.

There is an eBay code PREPCAR for 15% off.

Northwind

I just bought a set of Bridgestone Turanza T005s which I’ve seen described as basically being exactly like a slightly better Eagle. Ebay has 15% off everything from Mytyres if that’s any use.

slackalice
    Free Member

Continental PremiumContact 6’s? Anyone here have any experience of them? They seem to have some good reviews, I like the sound of them personally.

available in your required size too OP 😃

Stuuey

Found Proxies are softer and cheaper than F1s but Potenza RE050a are even better (may be 25 quid a corner cheaper than Goodyear). Never tried Continental tho.

Edit-scrub all the above you won’t get anywhere near 25k put of Proxies or Potenzas. Therefore the goodyears are way cheaper. I only get 11k out of my Potenzas.

PS- check you don’t need XL many family size cars do now.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I got 25k out of PS4s on the front end of a golf GTD.

fossy

Take a look at Maxxis tyres.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ve got Maxxis on the front of my Insignia ..nowhere near as good as  the F1’s they replaced ..but a good bit cheaper ..

andyl
    Free Member

Andyl..don’t know if I’m being thick here ..but did you mean 50k out of Michelins ….?

5k makes them a pretty shit tyre !

5k more than than other brands.

I ended up with Michelin PS4 in the end. Worked out about £40-50 a set more than Eagle F1s. Dunlop RT2’s were in the running too as supposed to be pretty good for rolling resistance.

Replaced the completely trashed P-Zeros on the rear and some wierd “ZTyre” fronts that the previous owner fitted. The fronts still had about 4-5mm tread in the middle but I wanted shot of them and was trying my best to kill them but only managing to scrub the edges down. Horrible noisy things that i had no trust in due to low feel but only a slight bit of understeer to be fair.

First impressions is I kind of miss the P-Zeros, they are standard fit for Mercs and they felt very wide and stiff but very controllable when you wanted to use the torque to kick the back end out on empty roundabouts. I guess that comes from my only complaint with them that they lacked forward traction and I would often wheelspin when starting off or when overtaking on a slighty wet road in sport mode and manually downshifting at around 50mph. The P-Zeros did impress me with their wet grip right down to the limit though, I dont normally let tyres get below 2.5mm but these were completely shot and on the limit across the tyre with the inner edge lower due to the camber. They were at about 3.5-4mm when I got the car I have put exactly 20k miles on them without grannying them.

In contrast the PS4’s feel planted in every direction and I suspect a lot less fun below and up to the legal limits 🙁

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Goodyear Eagle F1 alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.