• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by JAG.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Goodbye old friend.
  • colournoise

Finally retired my first proper MTB yesterday. A 1997 one off (as far as I know) Lee Cooper XC frame that I bought in Coventry with my first teaching salary payment. As a relative MTB noob at the time, I didn’t appreciate the workmanship on the frame – it looks a bit clunky shape-wise, but the finish on the brazing is fantastic.

Started out with cantis, Quadra 21 forks and a load of random components (originally had some of those Trans-X risers with the creaky bolt on cross brace). Was an early adopter, running it 1x before the Millenium Bug was a thing.

In its latter years, it’s been in the guise shown in the photo, rigid, singlespeed (2:1) and slicks – used as my de facto road bike. Now I’ve built a bamboo road bike and need some garage space for my Sonder Transmitter build, it’s time to gracefully retire it I reckon. Stripped down yesterday, and once it’s had a good clean it will take pride of place on the wall in our bike themed downstairs toilet.

It’s served me well, and now deserves a rest.

Don’t think I’ll feel the same about the Identiti Mr Hyde that also needs stripping and retiring tomorrow…

Leaves my oldest operational MTB as a 2001 DMR Trailstar still on its original Z4s.

wallop

Oh thank god. Thought it was going to be a dog!

colournoise

wallop
    Subscriber

Clickbait thread titles FTW!

sillyoldman

It is – look at it!
    😉

wallop

😂

JAG

Yep – I was also afeared that on of our Canine Comrades had retired to the Kennel in the Sky!

I hope you and you’re old bike are happy 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Goodbye old friend.’ is closed to new replies.