Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Goodbye MTB World Cup, Hello MTB World Series
  • Kuco

If the XC is on GCN I’ll consider re-subscribing if not then I won’t bother. Zero interest in DH or Enduro.

robertajobb

Never ever any Murdoch-Vision subscription in this household.  I’d rather push rusty barbed wire up my peepee that give any money to them and their excessive right wing influence on the western world.

Hope the DH is on GCN+. I’ll watch it then.

But ‘world series’. WTAF.  Morons.

reeksy

I barely found time to watch the DH stuff on Red Bull…I certainly wouldn’t pay for it, so guess I won’t  be watching any of it now. Shame.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@weeksy

I’m getting slayed on the downvotes… it’s bonkers.. LOL.

It’s almost as if the youths on Pinkbike don’t have a £100+ a month subscription to get the benefit of watching it for nothing? Utterly mystifying.

weeksy

It’s almost as if the youths on Pinkbike don’t have a £100+ a month subscription to get the benefit of watching it for nothing? Utterly mystifying.

I wasn’t saying they should, i was just giving the information. I don’t much care about the downvotes i just found it amusing.

orena45

The headline is wrong, it’s not goodbye to the world cup. The article refers to both the world series and next years dh world Cup. I’m reading it as the ‘world series’ is the collection of mountain biking events that includes the dh world cup, rather than renaming the world cup

This 👆

Also,

…this 👇

Hmm, I do often wonder what the last two letters stood for in EWS

Perhaps if the article had referred to the ‘World Series’ branding being ‘enduro-esque’ rather than ‘baseball-esque’, it wouldn’t be so triggering for some?! Certainly giving off clickbaity vibes…

matt_outandabout

Is this £6.99 a month something I can just sign up for when I fancy watching a DH or EWS round for a month? Or is it a 12 month subscription?

a11y

Is this £6.99 a month something I can just sign up for when I fancy watching a DH or EWS round for a month? Or is it a 12 month subscription?

That’s what’s going to swing it for me. Zero interest in a 12 month subscription for something I’ll genuinely only use to watch DH racing.

First DH round is 9-11 June, final round is 6-8 October. In theory that’s only a 4-month period if you started a subscription on the day of the first round. If it is £6.99 on a rolling monthly basis, £28 for a season.

mudfish

Discovery plus entertainment and sport £59 year. In the absence of a strong ad revenue this may be the only way to support a decent series.
    To be fair, Red Bull did a pretty good job imo and for free. Very acceptable.I e no idea how they sell enough of that horrid drink to make a profit after all they spend on sponsorship.
    I wonder if their mtb athlete sponsorship will dwindle.
    Still. We have wait and see if RB do have a competing series. Hardline style tracks based?

https://get.discoveryplus.com/gb/watch-entertainment-and-sport?utm_source=google&utm_medium=SEM&utm_campaign=GSA-performancemktg&gbraid=0AAAAACz5BITQUP03SPm3BsgBkwPbhjXXd&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8aOeBhCWARIsANRFrQE08opTaqB1nNZEu9PM9hnXmuNB9-SLikm4YSXwj6Uv3awDmJ_F304aAvHTEALw_wcB

franksinatra

But ‘world series’. WTAF. Morons

I think this is good marketing. A lot of people learning their way around the sport get confused about the difference between World Champs and World Cup. Series describes what it is much better.

Yak

So £40/year on GCN+ or £84/year on discovery+/eurosport, unless you already have it in another package.
    Is that the choice then?

Will the GCN+ stuff be the same commentary team or do they cover it themselves? (Never watched GCN before).

weeksy

from reading the link above you only need to pay for 1 month rolling, so £6.99 x 4-5 depending on dates..

ayjaydoubleyou

If its rolling rather than calendar months, looks like 5 if you want to watch Nove Mesto xc, 4 if you start at Lenzerheide for the double header weekend.

tenfoot

I think I’ll probably end up getting a monthly sub to GCN+ through the App Store on my iPhone during the MTB season. This can easily be cancelled in “subscriptions”, within settings, at any time.

If it’s a 5 month season though, it gets very close to the £40 a year annual sub

IdleJon

Exactly my point. Snooker used to be huge on terrestrial TV.

But who watches terrestrial TV anymore?

An increasing number of people it seems. Since lockdown, the number has increased by 2.6% to 78.6%, while the subscription platforms are losing viewers by roughly the same amount.

Judging by the conversations in my office there are very few who don’t have normal TV.

ayjaydoubleyou

If it’s a 5 month season though, it gets very close to the £40 a year annual sub

And of course, there has been a lot of moaning about the late start (especially the DH) – in part because the early season favourite Ft Bill is World Champs this year – if they did extend the season then they get to add to the revenue.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Seen a few videos appearing of the first test event, and it looks like a World Cup DH event, apart from more furniture on the course ie even more tape, stubby slalom poles and odd man made obstacles in the track to stop riders using certain lines.

Also sounds like there is still negotiation going on with the format of the racing which still isnt decided.

Ive not heard of anyone yet who is prepared to pay to watch.

weeksy

Hi 🙂

I’ve got no issues paying £6 a month, £10 a month.. i’d arguably go to £20 a month.

frogstomp

even more tape, stubby slalom poles

The clips I saw had tape in some areas and just poles in others – I assumed they were reducing tape by just doing the sections that actually need it.

I subscribed to GCN+ for the year (£30/yr with discount) and have already watched a few documentaries and road races. With the WCs as well I’m not feeling too hard done by.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.