Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Good 'round the world' digital compact GPS, wfi etc help please.
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

It’s a present for my daughter. She had a Lumix and loved it but it finally broke. I see a lot of modern cameras with GPS, would be handy to geo-tag all her photos etc. What’s on the market under £200? (New or ‘refurbished’)

I see a few with huge zoom ranges and megapixels. I’d like one with (35mm equivalent) of 24mm to 200mm max and 18mp, just to make it a bit more practical. Sturdiness would be a prime requirement.

scotroutes

I have a Panasonic TZ40 that matches your spec. You’d pick up one of those for less than £200.

I’m happy with mine (3rd TZ-series I’ve had). Remote control from the phone is a bit gimmicky but can be useful. Scene modes work pretty well and there’s full manual control when you need it.

Deveron53
    Free Member

TZ40 looks good. She had a TZ camera before.

dannybgoode

Where is she traveling to? Some countries do not allow gps equipment in, even on cameras.

She may sail through customs at such a place but does she need the hassle and stress if she gets stopped?

soma_rich
    Free Member

GPS on cameras really drains the battery I bought a load of Fuji F770EXR’s which have GPS and they are a great camera but the battery is appalling we now just leave the GPS off the whole time as it was ridiculous how quickly it drained with it on.

cranberry
    Free Member

TZ60 on Amazon for £230

clicky!

Edit:

Sample images

jam-bo

Some countries do not allow gps equipment in, even on cameras.

Today, only three countries in the world still ban the commercial use of GPS: Egypt, Syria and North Korea.

not high on the list of backpacker destinations…

Deveron53
    Free Member

She’s going to South and North America. The GPS tagged pics will help her populate her blog. Inca trail etc.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Took a TZ40 on a trip to Puerto Rico, coped with the tempertaure/humidity in the rain forest OK, and although not really “rugged” once the lens is retracted it’s pretty safe mainly on account of the small size making it properly pocketable.
    Would recommend it as a travel camera and image quality is more than hald decent as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Good 'round the world' digital compact GPS, wfi etc help please.’ is closed to new replies.