Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Good mud clearance
  • dorsetknob
    Free Member

Any bikes with good mud clearance? I have a 2013 stumpjumper with zero mud clearance and yesterday it almost got launched. Would like something similar shape for comfort.

robertpb
    Free Member

I would look for a UK designed bike, as most of the USA designed bikes seem to be made for dust clearance.

simondbarnes

Look for something that comes with 2.8″ tyres and fit 2.4″ ones 🙂

submarined
    Free Member

I would look for a UK designed bike, as most of the USA designed bikes seem to be made for dust clearance.

Don’t agree with this I’m afraid! Clearance on the chainstays of my ’16 Whyte 901 (which goes to Great lengths to tell the world it’s designed in the UK) is absolute bobbins! 2.25 Trail Boss on a 30mm rim regularly scrubs. 2.4 HR2 on a 21mm rim rubbed from the off!

dorsetknob
    Free Member

No one on Singletrack ride in the mud? Unfortunately the area where I live is clay that sticks like hell.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I run a recent boost Yari 27.5 with a 2.8 NN and have plenty of mud clearance.
    My 2017 Mondraker Foxy Carbon leaves OK clearance with a 2.6 NN so I imagine the later Boost versions are great for mud.

That’s only on 30mm rims though.

munrobiker
    Free Member

What trails are you riding that require so much mud clearance? Should you be riding on them if your tyres are getting bunged up like that? It sounds like they aren’t in a fit state.

I ride a Transition Patrol Carbon and the clearance for the rear tyre is abysmal but I have never had the mud cause a problem in 3 years riding it in the Peak District, the Scottish Highlands and Innerleithen all through the winter. The Innerleithen trails in winter (and this summer…) are a real claggy mudbath and I still haven’t ever had a tyre clearance issue.

chiefgrooveguru

“What trails are you riding that require so much mud clearance?”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_England_Chalk_Formation

This is why experience elsewhere in the UK may be irrelevant. The clay upon this chalk and the deeper clay-topped lowlands adjoining the chalk hills is a unique challenge when it comes to mud clearance.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tyre choice has a big impact too, mud tyres have big blocks spaced apart to give the mud a chance to fall off.

The solution to riding in clay though is not to ride in clay. There’s trails in the chilterns I just avoid over winter as I know they will be utterly miserable whereas the more organic mud in the woods is deeper it tends to accumulate on tyres less.

dorsetknob
    Free Member

West Dorset, got chalk about 15 miles East, there are a few UU classified tracks but mostly bridleways that get chewed up by off road trail bikes. For mud clay clag it’s the worst place in the UK unless someone knows otherwise, and when I’m slogging my guts out to keep up with the 10 years younger than me brigade I often don’t see the funny side of it until the next or so.

tdog
    Free Member

I have a pubes distance between a rubbed 2.35” Forekaster in a Ti hardtail frame one side and 1mm the other.

Am I bovered –

NO!

Get on and enjoy your dated bike and rag it to bits 😆

dorsetknob
    Free Member

Just like to mention I rode Haldon, New Forest, Quantocks, Dartmoor, Cornwall and plenty of other places including West Highlands and Wales and Thursday nights after work and Sunday’s at 7am I have to use local, I’d rather be riding through the mud than bike on my back carrying the thing. Can’t rag it carrying it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Good mud clearance’ is closed to new replies.