Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 'Good fat' – cashew nuts
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So here I am, sat here nibbling on my nuts (no laughing at the back). I notice they are 48.2% fat – plain and unsalted/roasted. But as I understand it, it is good fat in them. Could somebody either kindly explain why cashews are good for you despite the fat or tell me to throw them away and go do a bulimia in the bog….

And in the interest of balance, I am halfway through a big bag of fruit pastilles too – but those go towards your 5-a-day. Don't they?

donald
    Free Member

There's nothing wrong with fat. It is an essential nutrient.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There's nothing wrong with fat. It is an essential nutrient.

Agreed – but eating crisps ain't healthy so why is it okay to eat cashews? I assume it is because it isn't saturated fat???

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Iz oil innit. High in polyunsaturated oils, low colesterol, loads of nutrients too.

As opposed to hard animal fat, which is mostly saturated ming.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cashews arent usually fried though are they?
    Feeling better now i've scoffed a full packet of Tescos Value cashews this afternoon!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Feeling better now i've scoffed a full packet of Tescos Value cashews this afternoon!

Not far behind you 🙂

donald
    Free Member

There's nothing wrong with eating crisps either.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Fat, be it 'good' or 'bad' will still contribute the same calories to your intake – unsaturated or mono-saturated fat has a health value in that it will not be used to produce Low Density Lipoprotein aka 'bad cholesterol', nuts are also high in iron, zinc, magnesium, vits B1 and E plus have a decent amount of fibre and protein.

All in all, better to eat a 1/4 pound of cashews than 1/4 pound burger – mebbe not total calorie wise but certainly nutrient wise…….

GrahamS

So why can't they just crush up cashews and use the resulting fat to make crisps and chips then?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well no there isn't – in moderation. Just like anything else.

But pound for pound, plain cashews are better for you than crisps. Yes?

hilldodger
    Free Member

…apart from the high GI carbs, high salt, multiple flavourings and trans-fats they're totally healthy 😉

hilldodger
    Free Member

So why can't they just crush up cashews and use the resulting fat to make crisps and chips then

cost – the fats (and most other ingredients) in 'snack foods' are by-products of the food insustry, why waste a premium product like cashew nuts just to use it as an ingredient for low price snacks…..

hilldodger
    Free Member

But pound for pound, plain cashews are better for you than crisps. Yes?

Yes

GJP
    Free Member

IIRC you would be a lot better off eating almonds and brazil nuts – also not quite as more-ish as cashews.

coffeeking
    Free Member

So why can't they just crush up cashews and use the resulting fat to make crisps and chips then?

A small bag of cashews is £3-4 ish. Can you imagine the cost of cooking crisps in the oil from them? 🙂

0091paddy
    Free Member

Kashew nuts are also a good source of protein.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Illy cashews are nicer than Tesco cashews though 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

i love love love mixed, raw, unsalted nuts, esp hazelnuts, with a few raisins chucked in. I chomp through 500g a week instead of sweet snacks.

avdave2

Nice in a stir fry too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘'Good fat' – cashew nuts’ is closed to new replies.