Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Good 'crash course for dummies' book/website for 1st year engineering maths?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Covering things like:

Algebra including partial fractions and the binomial theorem; analytic geometry; functions and graphs; exponential and logarithmic functions; trigonometry; differentiation, including implicit differentiation and related rates; stationary points, curve sketching; simple integration; matrix algebra

It’s been a loooong time since I did any ‘higher level’ maths and in all honesty I don’t have much of a clue about any of the above. Granted, that’s what the course is going to teach me I guess, but I’m thinking there are ‘building blocks’ I should learn/understand beforehand at least?

marko75
    Free Member
    chrisa87
    Free Member

That’s the book i was going to recommend! Dexter Booth was one of my lecturers at uni during first year.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can also recommend Stroud.

That and one or two chemistry texts is the only book I can remember from Uni. I still have it. It probably got people through maths modules who’d never have managed it otherwise.

pmc00per
    Free Member

Stroud – engineering mathematics is the bible. Its the only book from my degree that I have fond memories off. Its written in a style that’s like having a teacher sat next to you. It single handedly got me through my maths modules

psychle
    Free Member

Righty-o then, sounds like I need to order me a copy of that then, though, doesn’t appear to be available in Australia, will have to order from Amazon US (or UK)…

Any other recommendations? Cheers for the help chaps, appreciated 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Stroud… That gives me flash backs!

Amount of degree level engineering maths that has been of any use in my 21 year engineering career = 0%. 😐

IA

+1 on the Stroud.

Also mathworld.wolfram.com – it’s a bit like Wikipedia for maths, but not full of slightly shonky information.

irelanst
    Free Member

I would agree that Stroud is a must buy, but a lot of the subjects in your list are covered here;

http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/SiteImages/e2/e2ffa77b-e556-4022-9c40-3dfed364c8ea.pdf

I would imagine that they would expect a pretty good understanding of most of the subjects from your list before you start TBH

psychle
    Free Member

Amount of degree level engineering maths that has been of any use in my 21 year engineering career = 0%.

Doesn’t suprise me in the least… I’ve always thought uni and the like is just about proving your smart enough to do a particular job/career, not so much about actually learning the job skills themselves 😆

bazzer
    Free Member

+1 K A Stroud is the book, saved me. I went from thinking I was going to fail to top of the class over the Easter break !!

Just work through the examples and you will be good to go.

psychle
    Free Member

Just found a copy of the 7th edition is in stock at my Uni bookshop, result! 🙂

bamboo
    Free Member

Definitely Stroud, a superb book. Have you looked at 2nd hand copies on Amazon? Good discounts to be had.

xiphon
    Free Member

iTunes U

MIT have video lectures on those things

-m-
    Free Member

The fact that people are still recommending Stroud now tells you all you need to know – it’s been the first port-of-call for maths for engineering degrees for years

Edit: in my own case that would now be decades 😮

mattbiltong
    Free Member

check out scribd.com, there’s a copy (5th edition)available for download in PDF.

andyfb78
    Free Member

another vote for stroud, both the red and the green ones…
    oooh you’re gonna love laplace transforms

ransos
    Free Member

oooh you’re gonna love laplace transforms

Last time I did one of those was in my finals…14 years ago.

edsbike
    Free Member

I’ve got two or three Strouds at home, it’s the eng. maths bible. Want to buy them cheap?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for Stroud

Spectacular crash and burn fails in my end of Semester exams.

Bought the book, got 1st’s in the resists!

I got a 2nd hand copy of the last eddition when it was still about A5 size, before it went large print ~A4. Mant it was actualy practical to carry to the library. Missing a few chapers but they weren’t covered at uni anyway. There’s a series of them covering 2nd and 3rd year maths as well.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Again +1 to Stroud.

Glad to see it’s still the standard 14 years after my first year at uni.

Can we add this to Microsoft Security Essentials online the STW approved suppliers list?

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

As a first year engineer who sat his maths exam two days ago (and should be revising right now) I’d recomend Stroud. I hadn’t done further maths and this book saved me! Kreyszig is good too, but mostly at a much higher level than what I need.

takisawa2

Stroud, god that brings back memories.

-b+/-sqrt4ac/b^2 (or whatever it was).

Laplace transforms & Fourier series…WTF was that all about ? 😕

Our Eqyptian Mechanics Proffessor used to rave about the Benhem & Crawford book, but it was bloody awful.

Speeder

+whatever for Stroud – it’s the only book I’ve kept from my time at Uni with the thought that if ever either of the mini Speeders need some maths tuition I can get up to speed pretty quickly.

I have such fond memories of working through that book and feeling like I was actually learning something. I’d almost say it was the best bit of the whole 4 year course.

If only A-Level Maths/Physics had been taught like that I’d have gone to Oxbridge or some other high end Uni instead of the dump of an ex-Poly I ended up attending.

Gaz

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I failed A’Level Mathematics but scraped into my Engineering Degree anyway. Stroud’s books are the reason why I got good grades for Mathematics at University.

ampthill

While waiting for it to arrive try googling Khan academy

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Good 'crash course for dummies' book/website for 1st year engineering maths?’ is closed to new replies.