Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Titanium frames…
  • 69er
    Free Member

I’ve always had my suspicions about Ti:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cotic-Soda-Titanium-MTB-frame-size-Large-CRACKED-/251256669519?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3a8010854f#ht_463wt_956

A mates Litespeed road frame developed crack under the headtube, and since then there have been numerable reports of Ti frame failure.

Is plastic the way forward? Or should mtb’s be made from steel?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

There arent any real mountain bikes made form Ti anyway are there? Only overpriced ornaments that rich bimblers ride.

br
    Free Member

I’m surprised he didn’t approach Cotic in the first instance, or maybe he did…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldgit
    Free Member

They all fail, more down to abuse, cack handed riders, guessed torque settings, pants set ups etc etc.

Northwind

Would you like a link to a cracked steel frame, to convince you that you must never buy steel?

BadlyWiredDog

They all fail, more down to abuse, cack handed riders, guessed torque settings, pants set ups etc etc.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense… but you missed out the bit about people riding them. Idiots 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

I didn’t want to state the bleedin obvious 😉

aP
    Free Member

Obviously this is a stupid thing to say but my 8 year old 6/4 road frame is still absolutely fine. It’ll still be just fine riding the Gran Fondo Stelvio, Dragon Ride and Gran Fondo Prosecco later this year.
    Admittedly I did ride my carbon cc bike at Roubaix on Saturday – mostly because it’ll take 28mm tires.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Well my Litespeed Lookout Mountain is starting its 10th year so cant be bad,mind i not a Lard-ass 😀

nickc

Is plastic the way forward? Or should mtb’s be made from steel?

Or something else…

andyl
    Free Member

according to the cotic site the frame has a lifetime warranty so why would you stick it on ebay? Unless he ignored the 100mm seat post bit.

(nice of cotic to leave up info about old frames for reference)

Or maybe they have replaced it with a lynksey one or a different cotic and told him to scrap the old one? hmm

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Pipedream Modro on its 8th year of riding up to 6 days a week. Hoping it will be for life too. I am not rich and it is not an ornament. Have plastic and alloy frames. Sold my Pipedream steel sirius to try something else. So tried the lot and the Ti has been here the longest so far.
    Oh and cracked 4 off M4 Spesh frames and everything else has survived otherwise.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The mechanical properties of Ti are very well understood. Who knows why these things crack? Without a proper engineering investigation we’ll never know. If designed well they shouldn’t just as a well designed Steel, AlAlloy or carbon frame shouldn’t. Could be down to a weld issue, material quality issue, poor design or rider issue. There are plenty of threads on here on cracked carbon frames, AlAlloy and even Steel frames.

Kuco

I’ve got a 10 year old ti on-one CX frame still going strong.

boxfish
    Free Member

I’ve not broken a carbon frame. That might be because I’ve never owned one. The same cannot be said for steel, aluminium or titanium.

the-muffin-man

I’ve still got my original Ti Inbred – getting on for 10 years old now and has done 1000’s of miles.

Aus
    Free Member

my 10+yr old Dekerf is doing just grand. I guess it’s often down to workmanship rather than simply just material?

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve still got my original Ti Inbred – getting on for 10 years old now and has done 1000’s of miles.

Yeah, me too.

guess it’s often down to workmanship rather than simply just material?

You’ll be saying that cheap Chinese carbon frames off eBay are just as good as high-end ones next 😉

It’s possible to make good or bad frames out of any material.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

2 ti frames (MTB HT & a road-bike)

Both nearly 10 yrs old & lots of miles on them both.

No problems with either so far.

Frames fail regardless of the material.

Your point is what caller?

Kahurangi

Your point is what caller?

Bike get ridden, frames break, ebay gets used.

cy

We’ve sorted out everyone with a Soda warranty issue in some way shape or form so that will be a guy wanting rid of some scrap metal.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

it was 18 years before my ti hardtail cracked, I still have a full sus ti thats now aged 13 😉

Daffy

The crack in the seat stay is very unusual.

Pigface
    Free Member

My Hummer frame is fine and I am a large cack handed lard ass, it even survived 10 days in Morzine and was the only hard tail I saw. Hasn’t been used for a while but is being fettled for more use.

kiwijohn

My 18 year old DBR Axis TT is ex an world cup race bike. Also raced at the 96 worlds in Cairns.
    Still going strong.

honourablegeorge

cy – Member

We’ve sorted out everyone with a Soda warranty issue in some way shape or form so that will be a guy wanting rid of some scrap metal.

Funnily enough, the seller has a Cotic box handy….

timc
    Free Member

see more broken frames on the net than you do Ti on the trails man 🙁

bigdawg
    Free Member

Im still riding and racing my 96 kona Hei Hei, not had any problems with that – Litespeeds were always known to have problems, I remember in 95/96 a couple of frames going back for warranty with cracked headstocks…

teasel
    Free Member

I have a 12 year old aluminium frame that has been used on and off-road. There aren’t that many days in the week when it doesn’t get dragged out for a ride.

Just for balance…

mrmoofo

I’m surprise that isn’t in in classifieds on here – at about 60% of the retail price
    Maybe it’s too clean

shambolicuk
    Free Member

That is actually my frame in the ebay advert, Cy very kindly gave me a Soul as a replacement in autumn last year even though i was out of warranty (its not lifetime warranty its 4 years). I have just been able to afford to get it rebuilt with new parts as i had another Ti single speed project built last year which cost a fair bit. I put it on ebay as i dont wish to ride a repaired frame and im mostly riding my singlespeed now, and i didnt put it on here for sale as the forum rules suggest i must put a sale price, and what do i charge for a busted frame that may or may not be repairable?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Titanium frames…’ is closed to new replies.