Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Golfie- feed the pony rideable climb open?
  • portydave
    Free Member

Hi folks, wondered if anyone knows if the climb to get to feed the pony from round the back (From the east) that used to be rideable still is/exists after the storms last year?

Cheers
    Dave

singlespeedstu

No it’s still blocked.
    The pushup is rideable on an eeb and about 70% rideable in the dry on a manual bike.

portydave
    Free Member

Cheers! Rank bog it is then!

singlespeedstu

Not sure when the last time you went up there was but the trees have been cut back a bit and it’s no so bad these days.

mark88

70% rideable in the dry on a manual bike

I look forward to seeing you prove this!

singlespeedstu

Not by me Mark but a mate has made it to about a quarter of the way up the steep top section.
    I’m far too lazy to even try up there.

mark88

Likewise. I don’t even contemplate riding anything once the fire road ends.

kelvin

in the dry

🤣

singlespeedstu

in the dry

🤣

We rode it at least once a week for most of the summer and it was indeed pretty dry at times.
    No **** chance at this time of year though.

mc
    Free Member

Most of the climb isn’t that steep. It’s just the start and final quarter.

I managed to pedal to within sight of the small tree in the middle of the final steep section a couple weeks ago, but spun out on a wet root. And I wouldn’t say I’m that fit just now.

It did however allow me check my max heart 😀

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Do they have a defibrillator in Walkerburn?

phil5556

What’s the ride around the top like?

We were looking across yesterday and wondering if it’s rideable, Trailforks shows that some do appear to ride it.

mc
    Free Member

Quite a bit of pushing involved initially. You have to get to the Loose Women corner, which generally involves pushing due to the heather. You then need to push up through the heather to get on to the ridge. There is a path, but it’s very indistinct, so you need to judge how much you want to risk wrapping heather around your rear mech.

Its quite boggy in places along the northern ridge. I think it might be largely OK if you’re going to turn right to Scawd Law/Cairn Hill, but certainly if you want to go all the way to Windlestraw, it involves a large peat bog.

The ridge along Scawd Law to Cairnhill is rideable. It’s mostly an old access track along the ridge, so is pretty solid.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I’ve done the above horseshoe but it needs to be very dry and even then I wouldn’t do it again.

phil5556

Cool cheers, I’ll probably give it a miss then 😁 Just wondered if it was a hidden gem of a ride for something different.

cultsdave
    Free Member

I rode that horseshoe once. Won’t be doing it again.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I did it once from Thornielee.

singlespeedstu

Rode the pushup twice this morning.
    It’s really not that boggy at all.

If you’re up there it’s worth having a look to see what’s hiding in the trees and not wrecked yet.😏

singlespeedstu

It’s still pretty dry on the pushup.

I managed to pedal to within sight of the small tree in the middle of the final steep section a couple weeks ago

Rode it again today on my manual bike and managed to get just past the small tree before the steepness just got too much.

chrismac

I would rather ride Big Baw, one of my favs,  and then push up than ride all the way round the back. Each to their own I guess

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.