Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Golf GTE; any real world experiences of it?
  • v8ninety

Hi; looking st my next car (I lease); I can get a golf GTE for approx £50/month cheaper than a golf GTD which is what I currently enjoy. I do longish journeys though; a 44 mile school run twice a day for up to four days and a 20mile commute (can’t charge at work) on the days I’m not doing school runs. This suits the GTD perfectly; I’m achieving an average of 55mpg and a pleasant driving experience without really trying. Would this profile suit an hybrid electric? I’m concerned that I’ll end up using nearly as much petrol as I do diesel, AND put the house electric bill through the roof. Talking of which; how much impact do plug in cars actually have on electric bills? Does it work out much cheaper than Dino juice, or only moderately? I’d consider an all electric but they are oddly much more expensive to lease.

Ta in advance

Drac

I tell you in 2 months when mine arrives it’s replacing my GTD as it was a £100 for one of those on our lease.

Colleagues have nothing but praise for them, they reckon about £10 per month at the most for charging and 70-80 MPG with petrol.

v8ninety

I think we have the same lease car deal Drac… 8)

Drac

Very likely, I got mine on the promotion £291 with 15k miles.

marcus
    Free Member

We’ve had one for nearly 12 months. We mainly do short trips taking kids to clubs etc., so 75% – 80% of Mileage is full electric. We are only doing 8k pa total mileage. Always charged at home an Ive not noticed a massive increase in electricity bill. The car appears to have been designed for us.

antz
    Free Member

Depends on what tariff your on, but works out at 2-3p a mile on electric. Car does around 25miles on electric in summer (claimed 30 miles) and in winter worst I have had it was a whole 10 miles before the ICE kicked in (preheated car via app to defrost). Had it 1 year, done 11k and long term is saying 115mpg, but my commute is only 20miles round trip on the flat, with charging done at home.

DT78
    Free Member

Do you guys have a charging point at home? how much do they cost to fit? plus any issues with someone ‘borrowing’the charge point?

angeldust
    Free Member

How much do the extra batteries affect boot space?

drlex
    Free Member

Also had one for over a year (22K miles) and echo antz’s comments, albeit average 80mpg showing. I got it for the company car tax advantage, plus charge it at work. Pre-heating is a joy over winter, and it charges from a regular 13A socket in under three hours. Battery doesn’t take up any noticeable space, and the car drives like a lardy Golf. Wouldn’t have spent my own money on it, though.

goldfish24

Wouldn’t have spent my own money on it, though.

So I’m contemplating buying one with my own money…
    My main question is he long term financials. Anyone got ideas on the long term (3-5years) residuals? Will the batteries be hopeless by then? Service costs?
    My other choice would probably be the golf R with its strong residuals, known technology and awful fuel consumption…

lowey

Looking at one to replace my Company GTD next march. The tax saving is significant.

BUT i get free fuel so am really tempted by the R estate.

angeldust
    Free Member

Battery doesn’t take up any noticeable space, and the car drives like a lardy Golf.

Thanks for the feedback. Just looked up the boot capacity. Reduces from 380L to 272L on the hybrid, so quite significant imo. Guess it depends how often you lug stuff around on whether it’s going to be an issue.

Drac

It has less under storage where the spare is, there’s no spare and no storage pockets like in the GTD.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve not got a Golf, but Ive got a BMW 330e, leased through an NHS scheme.

All these hybrids are very dependant on your personal circumstance. ie how far your commute is, how hilly your commute is, how much you like air con etc etc. It has a massive impact on your mpg.

My commute is 45 miles a day, and I’m avergaging overall 55mpg, or commute alone probably about 65mpg.

Dont believe the quoted range. The BMW is approx 25 miles. At best I get 18, in winter about 12. Yes your mpg will be worse in winter.

Motorway driving its just a 2.0 petrol and averages high 40’s at around 80mph.

I got a charge point installed, you can get them for about £100/£150 (subject to government grant availability) or I beleive 1 company is doing them for free currently subject to conditions. IMO it less faffing having a charge point ( I didnt have a socket outside anyhow)

I have never once charged up at a service station/car par etc etc.

My next car will be a hybrid or full electric. Once you have driven electric you will never go back, especially for town driving.

My BMW is on an NHS lease scheme. Top of the range M Sport 15k miles + extras for £330pm.

Amazing car, way better than the 320d I had before, and very very quick.

Cost about £20pm to charge it.

simon_g

Looks like a similar loss of boot space as the R hatch (which needs to make room for a rear diff).

Drac

My BMW is on an NHS lease scheme. Top of the range M Sport 15k miles + extras for £330pm.

I nearly went for the 5 series M they had it on a special deal it was going to be around £390 with 15k.

molgrips
    Free Member

Motorway driving its just a 2.0 petrol and averages high 40’s at around 80mph.

It’s not – the hybrid system is still recovering energy and using it to boost the engine (or it ought to be). As your MPG figures demonstrate. You’d never get high 40s mpg out of a normal 2.0 petrol at 80mph.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I nearly went for the 5 series M they had it on a special deal it was going to be around £390 with 15k.

Thats a very good deal on a 5 ! Why didnt you go for it?

Del

^ that looks very similar to my gti. pockets at the side, and where all that crap is, my parcel shelf goes ( dogs ). so for me the change in boot capacity would be minimal.
    if i were buying myself i’d be looking at the new tesla, not a hybrid, but each to their own.

Drac

Thats a very good deal on a 5 ! Why didnt you go for it?

It’s a £100 more than the GTE.

Drac

that looks very similar to my gti. pockets at the side, and where all that crap is, my parcel shelf goes ( dogs ). so for me the change in boot capacity would be minimal.

It’s not as deep if you look there’s no real depth.

Del

i wasn’t using the force – i did look! 😀
    the foam looks to be a similar drop from the boot lip as it is in my car with the floor in the ‘raised’ or upper position.

Drac

It’s not, I’ve had my gtd alongside a gte.

Sundayjumper

if i were buying myself i’d be looking at the new tesla…

This, but AFAIK there’s no firm idea of dates for UK cars yet. At least a year I should think, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t turn up until 2019.

(I’m assuming you mean the Model 3 when you say “the new Tesla”)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Golf GTE; any real world experiences of it?’ is closed to new replies.