Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Glue on bottom bracket?
  • richtea44
    Free Member

Hi all.
    After a little help please.
    I bought a second hand road bike a while ago.
    It’s an orbea orca..ex pro team bike.
    It has a bb30 shell with mega exo push fit bearings converting externally to 24 for hollowtech cranks.

The bearings are pressed in but sealed with some sort of yellowish glue which I can see overspill inside the shell where they’ve dolloped it on. Its a bit rubbery in texture but still quite hard.

What the heck is it? Do pros glue their bb in????
    And the heck do I get it out.

I can’t use my park tool bb30 punch as it won’t fit through the 24 hole.
    Worried to use a drift in case I crack the frame.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Rt:)

feed

Can’t you ask the person / shop you bought it from ?

concrete24
    Free Member

Sounds like it might be Loctite 641 retaining compound? That’s a yellow colour and used for push fit bushes and bearings – if it is that, then it is designed to release with a little bit of force. Sorry no experience with it on a bottom bracket though – others will be along with more sense!

molgrips
    Free Member

Most Loctite also goes soft with heat doesn’t it? To facilitate removal?

tjagain

beware tho -= some grades harden with heat. I would try to make up a puller from threaded bar and sockets rather than try to hit it out

rocketman
    Free Member

What the heck is it? Do pros glue their bb in????

My Cannondale is held together with Loctite 638. It’s used for fitting cylindrical things together where some sort of adhesive is required to centre and hold them together e.g. frame bearings

And the heck do I get it out.

It takes 24 hours or more to go off and can be removed by judicious use of the mrs best hairdryer

orangespyderman

Sounds like it might be Loctite 641 retaining compound?

It does indeed. Heating it won’t be much use as it needs something like 150° before the bond breaks. Should be able to be removed with a little force by tapping it out

richtea44
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.
    I’ll try tapping it out…with gentle extreme force 🙂
    Do you know what tool to use for this 24mm converter from bb30 BB?

As usual I’ll probably start, fail, and take the mess I’ve created to my lbs 🙂

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I don’t know what retaining compound they used, and I don’t know if it applies to loctite retaining compound but loctite threadlock is basically a form of super glue and can be softened with acetone/super glue remover and straight from loctite themselves permetex gasket remover

So any of those might be worth a try.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Glue on bottom bracket?’ is closed to new replies.