Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 552 total)
  • Global warming update!
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

Figures released ‘quietly’ on the Internet this week shows that there has been no descernable rise in aggregate global temperatures for 16 yrs. this means that the plateau in global warming has now lasted for the same amount of time as the previous period 80-96 when temps rose. Before that temps had been stable or declining for 40 years.

So does this prove once and for all tbat all these ‘green’ taxes we’ve been forced to pay have been raised on the back of a fallacy?

druidh
    Free Member

Sources?

Lifer
    Free Member

Junkyard
    Free Member

we could debate why temps are rising but not if
    Ignoring actual measures of temperature the shrinking of the polar regions should convince anyone as a proxy measure
    the last 14 years involves taking the record high of 1997[an el nino year so weather]and would have to ignore the fact that the last decade was the hottest ever recorded. the stable or declining s just not true for the last 40 years.
    i assume you could plot a straight line of best fit on this

it looks like this

HTH

mrmo
    Free Member

reducing pollution and reducing the number of deaths that it has caused, a good thing or a bad thing?

davidjones15
    Free Member

Sources?

The internet, silly! The OP put that in the very first sentence. 🙄

yunki
    Free Member

yeah, I’m not sure if I agree with making the world a better place..

druidh
    Free Member

OOoh – graphs!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Junky, would be interested to hear why of all the datasets available via WFT, that you chose the HADCRU4 ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Random i just picked one
    here have another it shows something completely different

Northwind

rossi46
    Free Member

Wow look- lots of graphs!

miketually
    Free Member

At a guess, the OP’s source was the Mail on Sunday. Specifically, an article by David Rose.

Firstly, it shouldn’t need debunking because it’s in the Mail. Stop reading the Mail; it rots your mind and poisons your heart and soul. And probably causes/cures cancer.

Secondly, here’s the Met Office response: http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2012/10/14/met-office-in-the-media-14-october-2012/

El-bent
    Free Member

So does this prove once and for all tbat all these ‘green’ taxes we’ve been forced to pay have been raised on the back of a fallacy?

Ah, another “I don’t want to pay taxes” debate conveniently wrapped up in the global warming issue.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Thanks …..for not linking to the mail

Rockape63
    Free Member

The arctic region is indeed losing a lot of ice in recent years, but apparantly Antartica has more ice at the moment than has previously ever been recorded.

Work that one out!

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m kind of getting fed up with all this debate over whether global warming is happening or not. What is wrong with reducing, and eventually eliminating, our dependency on fossil fuels? What is so wrong with reducing pollution? What is so wrong with taking care of ourselves and the planet?

I think this is vital, regardless of whether we are causing global warming or not.

The sooner we get over this “have we caused global warming” argument the better.

El-bent
    Free Member

What is so wrong with taking care of ourselves and the planet?

Because OP and his type doesn’t want to pay for it. Possibly?

Northwind

Well… Antartic sea ice is covering a record area, but that doesn’t mean there’s a record amount of ice (can’t find any figures for volume rather than area, which is annoying).

Ironically, it seems to be being caused by the higher winds caused by antartic warming, which is spreading the ice further.

Buuuut, antartic land ice is still in decline. And that’s more troublesome because ice on water doesn’t affect coast levels but ice on land, if it melts, does.

jam-bo

The arctic region is indeed losing a lot of ice in recent years, but apparantly Antartica has more ice at the moment than has previously ever been recorded.
    Work that one out!

Opposite ends of the planet.

One is a sea

One is a continent.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

but apparantly Antartica has more ice at the moment than has previously ever been recorded.

🙄

Gravity innit!

Lifer
    Free Member

+1 mikey74

Rockape63
    Free Member

I just love the fact that you Guys are franticallyresearching Internet data, in order to post a comment!

BTW El-bent, some mighty big assumptions there!

Lifer
    Free Member

So RockApe, was it the Mail article that prompted this thread? What did you think of the met offices’ rebuttal?

druidh
    Free Member

Of course. It’s all sliding down to the bottom.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Surely Lifer, we can have a debate on STW without invoking the ‘mail’ word?

Lifer
    Free Member

I’ll take that as a yes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I just love the fact that you Guys are franticallyresearching Internet data, in order to post a comment!

I would like to take this opportunity and apologise unreservedly for posting up the actual data of what has been occurring.
    I apologise for my rational approach of being led by the evidence/data and in future shall endeavour to have an ill informed knee jerk reaction in the face of inaccurate reports.
    I have seen the light and it has the face of a grinning hippy in sandals counting the taxes from their global windmill enterprise the lieing bastards

Happy now OP

bruneep

we’re still coming out of the ice age.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think you mean the dark ages where folk dd not understand science.

I feel sure someone on this forum will come up with an explanation the scientist have not considered or evaluated…

CMON HIVE MIND – we need to be quick as next week we have to cure cancer

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I would like to take this opportunity and apologise unreservedly for posting up the actual homogenised data of what has been occurring.

FTFY

(PS. both the data sets you used above share the same, homogenised, GHCN past data origin, and then both carry out further homogenisation and adjustments to the data before analysing. Hope that helps)

nealglover
    Free Member

What is wrong with reducing, and eventually eliminating, our dependency on fossil fuels?

Nothing at all.

The fact that there is a finite supply of fossil fuels will take care of it quite nicely though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Zulu I can only assume you would be happier i they did not do this and then skewed the results due to say UHI.
    We have done this to death and you might like to read GrahamS’s link

What say ye of proxy measures like glacial regions melting 😉

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

What say ye of proxy measures like glacial regions melting 😉

I’d point you towards the ease with which people can misrepresent data in respected pseudo-scientific reports ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jan/20/himalayan-glaciers-melt-claims-false-ipcc )

now what say ye of proxy measures like Bristlecone pine growth rings 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

respected pseudo-scientific reports

you have a higher opinion of a Guardian article than i do///Who knew you rated it far better than i do

Not interested in a “debate”
    For anyone who cares Wiki [ which Zulu loves] explains the rationale for the process.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogenization_(climate)

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Kaesae not seen this yet then…..

piemonster

He’ll be researching as we speak, well, by researching I mean using the search function on youtube

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

piemonster

Post 3 on this thread sums it up pretty well for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 552 total)

The topic ‘Global warming update!’ is closed to new replies.