Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Glentress Seven 2017
  • mr_stru

The heat certainly didn’t help me. Took the first two laps to feel remotely good and then just slogged on for the next 5. I could maybe have squeezed in another but given the weather I am extremely glad I decided to stop for cake instead.

dazh

last year I did the same as northwind. This year thanks to lack of previous years fitness and carrying extra weight I took it steady, paced myself and managed one more lap than last year. got in just before the storm which was a relief.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Great course. Managed the target of 7 laps although the last was a big road descent, rather damp it was. Quite nice after the stifling heat. A grand day out.

dmorts

Weather forecast looks on the warm side, with the possibility of a thunderstorm on the last lap

😀

myopic
    Free Member

I knew I was going to find it tougher than last year, as less fit, but the heat was where this really showed up. Got 7 solo laps in last year, only managed 6 this year. Every time I was in the sun, I wilted, then felt so much better in the cooler areas, except on lap 5 when I seriously considered chucking it in. Reconciled myself at that point to just go for 6, and then just relaxed and enjoyed riding and chatting. Made it back before the close out for final lap, but knew I’d never make it so called it a day.
    Next year I will be fitter!

jordie
    Free Member

Managed 9 laps on a Singlespeed my last lap down into the Tunnel of Love was interesting after somebody turned the lights off

bigmandh
    Free Member

I’m delighted with my 9 laps knowing it would be touch and go to make the 6.5hr cut off but gained some time on the first 2laps and made it by 3mins. The last lap I made it to the top in 35mins as the heavens opened and rode a sketchy tunnel of love then was redirected down the fire road before zoom or bust. Correct and quick decision by the organisers, it would have been carnage on the trails and they didn’t have unlimited supplies of first aiders to deal with the inevitable. Interesting finish to a race anyway! Does anyone know where the results are? Can’t find them on sport ident site.

jordie
    Free Member

It was the right call it was a proper rain storm up at the top

fifeandy
    Free Member

Very well done to guys above on 9 laps, that’s properly quick!

jonny-m
    Free Member

Like above, managed 9 laps in 7:10

No chance of the 10 laps I came for, didn’t stop so just not quick enough.

Rode the last lap down the dark tunnel of love, which was interesting with sunglasses on and then redirected for the last decent too.
    Great day

aide

Well done to all that took part yesterday. Really friendly crowd all round. I recognise the description of the bikes but cant remember the riders on them (is that bad?) I was the marshall at the top of the hellish climb on the fire road above sair fecht, hope i said hello to you all

speedstar

Ah Aide, I was the guy on the fat bike you kept encouraging on! Thanks for that. Really helpful when your legs are failing!

I did the whole of the last section in the rain. I have not been so scared for my life since getting caught in a thunderstorm at 200M in the Austria alp, which was marginally more scary. The slalom at the end was mental slidy!!

Northwind

@aide, I tried to negotiate a discount on pushes from you but I never got to collect.

Perversely sorry to miss all that! Well done to everyone who made it through

murf
    Free Member

Thanks to Aide and all the other marshalls/organisers 🙂
    I did 4 laps as part of a pair (8 in total) and cleared Heartbreak hill 3 times out of the 4, (had to push the last 20m) as I cheerfully predicted to the marshall on lap 3!

My lap times were much more consistent that when I did it in 2015 (was ill and missed last year) and I was between 10 and 15 mins quicker per lap, happy with that 🙂 Last time I checked we were 16th out of 50 in our category.

Great atmosphere, good weather (I did my last lap before the monsoon!) and really good fun 🙂

Does anyone have links to the timing and any picture websites?

mc
    Free Member

You need more than facebook shamed!
    3 and a bit laps, plus you sneaked away…

😀😀😀

codybrennan
    Free Member

In the end I only managed 4- managed to slide out somehow on lap 1 and inconveniently head-butted a tree root, which led to a bit of a headache. And a sore ass where the saddle turned through 90 degrees and rogered me :/

I was holding it together on lap 4 and thinking about a 5th when I cleared the way for a faster rider, which ended up in further head/helmet/tree interfacing, and an even bigger sore head. So, I bowed out at the lap’s end.

Will be back next year for more, this time in XC lycra-clad HT mode. Was a great day!

aide

Glad to know that ive ‘met’ some of you on here, hopefully see you next year

tomcrow99

I had a great day, got a solo waiting list entry 10 days before the event so went in with minimal expectations as other than a short commute to keep the base fitness up I haven’t? ridden much at all this year. Just scraped 7 laps if the final “get off the hill in the monsoon” lap counts. I also went into the tunnel of love into the total darkness, was a bit full on!

Northwind

mc – Member

3 and a bit laps, plus you sneaked away…

I did not sneak away, I ran away, big difference!

MtbRoutes
    MtbRoutes

By the way, respect to Metcheck for the uncannily accurate weather forecast!

bigmandh
    Free Member

Are these results still showing a lap less though the final times are including the final lap they’ve taken from the lap count??

mr_stru

For some reason they don’t count the first short lap in the lap count.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

was a great day out and rode very similar to last years conditions. Well done to everyone there who made it the event it is, will be back next year!

Any links to photo’s floating about?

cheers

vmgscot
    mc
    Free Member

The final lap count only includes full laps that were completed before the agreed 16:30 cut-off. The first short lap was treated separately as it makes managing times a lot easier on the day, however the software used does not support including it in the final lap count.

As mentioned in the note at the top of the results, anything in red does not count towards the final results. The times in red were left in purely so riders can see the full set of data, and argue/analyse/debate the times in whatever way they see fit.

speedstar

Can I get time taken off for risking my life for no good reason on my last lap?

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Glentress Seven 2017’ is closed to new replies.