Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Glentress Seven 2017
  • MtbRoutes

Anyone else doing this?

Weather forecast looks on the warm side, with the possibility of a thunderstorm on the last lap 🙂

Really enjoyed it last year and looking forward to more of the same.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I binned my entry just wasn’t feeling any enthusiasm for it.

It was good fun last year but so little riding it was going to be miserable from start to finish for me

cynic-al

I’m there. Not fit just now but hoping to enjoy it.

Orange steel HT (Shand) with SC32s and 27.5 bodged in unless I CBA to fit my racing wheels.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not me this year, after 2 years of glorious weather i had a gut feeling rain was on the cards, and rain would turn that course from epic to misery for me.

Northwind

Soloing it again… TBH 2 years ago I went into it as fit as I get, and last year I had a grand time on the fatbike so I’m not sure what this year’s going to be- I still have a vague target of 8 laps (*) if the weather holds but that might not work out, not as fit as I should be.

(* this isn’t a massively impressive number, not for a proper racer anyway, it just happens to be the most I’ve ever had in a trio or pair so I’d like to solo it too. Got 7 in 2015 and 6 on the fatbike so it’s doable…)

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I have just finished packing for my drive up in the morning. Solo effort on Saturday. Northwind has set a good target, 8 laps sounds good to me…or maybe 7. It’s sunny, yep 7.

cynic-al

How many laps do the fastest folk do?

I’d guessed 12?

mr_stru

Solo for me me too. No idea how it’ll go as I had a chunk of time off the bike over the winter. If it goes badly then more excuse to stop and eat the excellent cake.

Northwind

cynic-al – Member

How many laps do the fastest folk do?

I’d guessed 12?

Raddogair won with 11 last year (but looks like he had time for a 12th? I think maybe he knew he’d won it on 11)

moonsaballoon

I will be there , 2 years ago was 5 laps last year was 6 so hoping for 7 this year . riding the plus hardtail as opposed to my full suss this year so will see what effect that has .

Lucas
    Free Member

I’m going too, not yet packed enough stuff to fill up whippersnappers car so I’m not ready. Going solo and aiming for as many laps as I can, 7 or more sounds good but I have no idea as I have not ridden it. If I can have a price of cake every lap that will help

codybrennan
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ll be there. Look out for a yellow/black Trafic camper, come and say hi if you see me. Solo for me too, and I think 7 laps might just be doable….

jonny-m
    Free Member

Soloing as usual for me, 4th time in a row

5th in Cat last year with 9 laps, just over 7 hours
    Will try me best for a podium this year but I think I might need 10 laps for that which is going some…
    Weather looks good again thankfully, think it’ll be a nightmare in the wet.
    A thunder storm last lap ish won’t bother me
    Riding for KTM impsport

Northwind

Pro tips for the first timers-
    1, it’s at glentress but it doesn’t use that much of the trailcentre so don’t be too surprised about that.
    2, if you’re on the first lap, try and get to the top reasonably quickly- the hardest part of the entire lap is the very first descent so when the main body of riders turns up, unfamiliar with it, not yet switched on and pecking after the climb, it can be pretty messy Worth burning a few jelly babies to beat the rush-hour traffic, once you’re past that bottleneck the fun starts.

(this is an excellent dick move from the organisers- I’m assuming they’ve not changed it for this year since it’s fine GT7 tradition)

fifeandy
    Free Member

Ahh yes, the love tunnel, dark, damp and ribbed, always a challenge to keep things under control 😆

Guess my advice would be to run front tyre and fork a couple of psi less than normal. Nothing rocky, but plenty of small roots that can beat you up by lap5.

@moonsabaloon, the plus hardtail will be a really good choice assuming you’ve got fairly light fast tyres on it.

myopic
    Free Member

I’m soloing again. Not as well prepared as previous years due to a combination of things. Got the stamina, but no speed, so making it up to the start of love tunnel before the bottleneck is in full swing feels improbable. Will maybe just have my breakfast at the cake stop there while I’m waiting 🙂

cynic-al

So boost it up the climb on the first lap, cheers. I’m guessing the descent is technical but do-able in usual xc style?

Parking, IIRC you park in the “lower carpark” – the usual one on the RHS?

myopic
    Free Member

Al, the field beyond the carpark is usually given over to parking for the event, with a non-negotiable charge (£3, I think). There will be marshalls directing – you can’t go wrong!

First descent is steep and a bit rooty with a few line choices and a LH turn at the bottom. It’s not really hard, but once someone stops in the intial rush, its difficult for them to get going again or for others to get past them, people start to back up on the fire road and then everyone’s waiting. Once everyone is a bit more strung out after first lap, then it’s not an issue

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

So boost it up the climb on the first lap, cheers. I’m guessing the descent is technical but do-able in usual xc style?

Entirely doable, but the way some mince down it you would think otherwise!
    And another +1000 to hammering yourself up the climb on the first lap, you’ll lose masses of time if you get stuck in the traffic on the first descent.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m guessing the descent is technical but do-able in usual xc style?

I wouldn’t say much of it is technical, although a few short sections are a combination of steep/narrow/slippy when wet/rooty which can feel a little sketchy on an XC bike with a skinny fast tyre up front.
    Nothing to worry about really though – only thing I cant consistently ride is the corner at the end of love tunnel, and my skills are pretty much full mincer level.

Parking, IIRC you park in the “lower carpark” – the usual one on the RHS?

Parking has been in the field beyond the overflow (first left) car park last 2 years

Northwind

Parking’s in the big field off to the left, you’ll be waved in though.

Most of it is fun-but-mellow, not hard to ride but a bit harder to ride quick and without burning yourself up. TBH that first bit (it’s just a short steepish thing but it has roots running across it and a 180 degree corner at the bottom) would cause less bother if it weren’t right off the fire road, at the top of the big climb.

And then later on where it runs down parallel to falla brae there’s a bombhole thing we built just to **** with people, again just off the fire road, and that’s where the photographers hang out to get pictures of you landing on your face. It freaks some people out, especially now as it’s getting pretty beaten up, but it’s really a “ride straight down it” and it has a chicken line anyway. So it’s mostly about trying to carry warp speed out of that section into the flat bit after

fifeandy
    Free Member

It freaks some people out, especially now as it’s getting pretty beaten up, but it’s really a “ride straight down it” and it has a chicken line anyway. So it’s mostly about trying to carry warp speed out of that section into the flat bit after

The bombhole doesn’t even freak me out, the deep loose stuff on the approach to it is harder imo.
    Chicken line is actually ~1-2s faster than the main line which is a bit wrong, but I take the main line cos its fun anyway.

lucky7500

I’m soloing agin this year as well. Managed 6 laps last year so hoping to maybe manage 7 this time. I’ll be on my green TransAM if anyone feels like shouting abuse / encouragement!!

Northwind

We tested that out a fair bit, basically the main line is faster if you ride it fast, you can carry speed right off the road through the entire thing and out into the next section to boot

But I think for a lot of people you’re right, it’s a more complex route and most people seem to lose speed somewhere. And obviously you’re only as fast as the person in front and it’s all single file so it’s easy to get delayed.

richmtb

I was swithering but I’m definitely going now. Doing it in a pair. I’m hoping a smaller chainring and some fast rubber will make up for my utter lack of training and fitness.

For any first timers its a really nice course. Its not overly technical but fun. I don’t think it wastes a single foot of descent on fireroad either. The Love Tunnel is a little bit buttock clenching first time as it is quite steep and the corner at the bottom is pretty tight but once you’ve tackled it once its pretty easy. Top tip: don’t wear dark sunglasses you won’t be able to see!

aide

Am going to be marshalling at it again this year, please wave and say hello, would be good to put some faces to the names on here (think i am marshal 9a) Hope you all enjoy it

cynic-al

Thanks all. Looking forward to it 🙂

Northwind

Woop, my air shaft arrived, I now can have working forks. This is convenient

mr_stru

Weather forecast is looking interesting.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Sure is 😯

Best of luck with that everyone!

Northwind

I’m sure we’ll be perfectly safe from the lightning under all these trees

tom.nash

The Tweed Valley Bike Patrol and Tweed Valley Mountain Rescue will be out hopefully having a quiet day, please say hi 🙂

Northwind

Holy crap. Race prep should definitely include getting a new air shaft to replace your broken one on the morning before the race, then discovering that because your fork is some oddball specialized OE option the new part doesn’t fit, so you have to batter your broken one and your new one together with a big hammer then throw it all back together and get it working at 11.06pm. Brakes are dragging like a mofo, don’t care, sort that tomorrow. Woo racing!

myopic
    Free Member

Ha, Northwind – sounds like my usual prep! Too depressing to detail…. 🙁

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Good luck everybody. By Scottish standards it’s pure dead scorchio out there so stay safe. And if you see a man in a Ridelines top huffing and puffing a bit, give him a push, he’s not getting any younger but he’s a good lad.

cynic-al

Northwind – Member
    Woop, my air shaft arrived, I now can have working forks. This is convenient

POSTED 19 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Piss poor preperation means…erm…something.

As I found out around 9am this morning when woke up and realised the race is today and not tomorrow
    😳

Northwind

Well, that went poorly- never a good sign if you’re posting before the race ends… Basically forgot how to endurance- took off far too fast, feeling strong and quick, rode 3 laps then died at the start of the 4th. Ground my way round cramping and feeling like I was going to throw up, in the hope i’d get past it but didn’t get any better so rather than toiling round 1 or maybe 2 more I just canned it. Wasn’t the heat, just me being a diddy.

Hope everyone else had, or is having, a more succesful day! To be fair I had a great time for that first 2 and a half hours or so so I shouldn’t grumble- more quality riding done today than in the first year when I was in a trio

PS, ffs Al.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@Northwind, thats just how it goes for a 7hr, too short to hold back. 3 laps feeling great and 4 of purgatory hanging in there!

How did the cobbled together XC bike go? Preferred it to the fat bike?

Northwind

MC has facebook-shamed me 😆 Abuse of power!

I’ve soloed it 4 times before so I should know how to do it by now 😆 Last year I pushed a bit too hard on the 2nd or 3rd lap but managed to pull it back with a slow lap- every year I end it dead but this time I just went too far, no chance. At most I could have limped through but not got near my goals. Bit peeved…

Bike went great tbh, I’ve come to really like it and the last minute fork bodge actually worked. A little harsh and unsophisticated but that does make it feel fast and pretty fun. Might have got a bit wearing as the race went on. I think maybe my scandal was a little better, but then, I was much fitter that year so it got an easier job.

I loved doing it on the fatbike too though, very different of course- slower up, hilarious down (and way easier to overtake- line choice is a whole different thing with a 4.8 tyre, you can go places most people don’t want to).

Next year is the heroic return to form! I may actually train

speedstar

Hey Northwind, I too competed (dawdled) on a fat bike! TBH laps 4&5 (or is that 5&6?) were some of the slowest speeds i’ve ever ridden on a mtb. If you finished early, count yourself lucky. I experienced the extremely dangerous phenomenon of riding a pair of Jumbo Jim’s on suddenly wet roots and the track turning into a river for the last 15 minutes of my last lap. The fattie does not like those conditions at all.

I got so much respect given for riding a fat bike though. I think this is great as it masks the fact i’m not certain how much quicker, if at all, I would be on something more “racy.”

Great day out. will be back next year!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Glentress Seven 2017’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.