Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Glentress Black
  • charliemort

Had 3 days around 7 Stanes last week. Rode Kirroughtree Black, Mabie, Dalbeattie, Innerleithen Red XC and Glentress Red – all good fun, especially Kirroughtree and Dalbeattie.

Didn’t manage Glentress Black as only had the one day that side, and thought better to try Innerleithen as well in the day. Is it a must do compared to the red?

cheers

Diane
    Free Member

No not really – its a step up physically from Inners xc, 2 big climbs not particularly technical but the jucy bits are at the end when you are tired. If you did the others you’ve not missed out too much.

jammer
    Free Member

The GT Black is o.k but Kirroughtree and Dalbeattie are definately better.
    It’s worth a ride but it’s really just a long xc trail. There is very little real technical riding.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i like the black. there’s more climbing but its not technically that much harder than the red – just a bit rougher (and the north shore stuff) its usually a lot quieter than the red.

charliemort

okay thanks – couple of locals suggested Inners and Glentress Red too, so sounds like we made the best use of our time

J0N
    Free Member

I’d say GT black is a must-do trail. Its one of the longest trails and hasnt changed much from original completion so not as technically demanding as newer trails. Personally I do it a couple of times a year but other times I do most of the red then jump across and do the black from deliverance.
    Well done on doing all those trails in three days and in that respect I reckon the black wouldn’t have offered anything more.

Richyb
    Free Member

You didn’t miss anything, Its not very good compared to Kirroughtree and Dalbeattie IMO.

Kramer
    Free Member

The traquair at Innerleithen is the pick of the bunch in my opinion, followed by the red at Glentress. The black is good in terms of distance, and both the climbs being proper workouts, and having really long descents, but technically the other two edge it out.

I’d always choose 2-3 times round the Glentress red over the black.

Militant_biker

I’d recommend the Black for some ‘proper’ feeling mountain biking. Sure, it lacks the jumps of Spooky Wood, but the length of the downhills make up for it – for me. As people point out, it’s also much quieter, so you really can ride it all at your own speed. The climbs are also of a decent length to settle into and gain some proper height.

If it’s jumpy fun you’re after – it’s not the best. If it’s some, dare I say it, old-school trail centre riding you want, it’s a gem.

ChrisL

Sadly most of the woodwork on the Glentress black has gone away, as it was becoming rotten and unsafe. There are plans to build a replacement for the Ewok Village but as far as I know work has not yet started on it. 🙁

I like the black, it has a noticeably different character to most other trail centre rides. While largely not particularly technical it has a rougher surface and longer sections (both climbs and descents) than the red.

cheers_drive

Personally out of the red, black and Inners I prefered the black mainly for the Deliverance singletrack. The first climb was tough though and there’s nothing too technical apart from the start of 1 section off the red near then end.
    Inners may have been better but I had to take it easy and was a bit shaken after a big off on Minch Moor.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I still want to ride Glentress black but haven’t fitted it in with my could of week’s up in Dumfries. I just dont seem to have the legs to do 2 Stanes in 2 days, plus still have a few back issues I need to watch. Am doing Kirroughtree as the big one this weekend, but still plan to do Glentress black at some point in time. I am a pure xc rider and just rolled Spooky Wood so didn’t get as much fun out of it as others. As for Innerleithen Minch Moor decsent, I just loved that.

bellerophon
    Free Member

I too like the black, if the push came the shove I’d say I prefer it to the red – although I think Traquair and Kirry are both better.

I’m interested in what bits of the red people think are more technical than the black?

jimmy

the descent from the tower to the bottom of deliverance is well worth IMO. I’d like to do it more often. In fact, I just bloody might next week.

PJ266
    Free Member

Got to say i do love the black too, Normally go up there for a week or two most summers and tend to do the black at least twice, interspersed with the red and Innerleithen. It does have a completely different feel to the other trails and you get alot further into the wilds.

Smee
    Free Member

Out of GT red, GT black and Inners, Inners is the most difficult. Both in terms of continuous climb and technicality. GT black is a good ride, but Inners is better.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Glentress black rocks, I do it all the time. One of the best things about living in Peebles 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

G-T black fan here.

it’s less ‘made’ than the red, longer, more ‘out there’ and loads of lovely singletrack that’s little more than a thin ribbon between the trees.

Bellerophon has a good point; there are plenty of good techy bits on the black. snot easy.

i do of course like the red route, just using this as an opurtunity to speak up for the ‘other’ route at Glentress.

Stu_N

Good set of trails there.

I really like the Glentress Black, proper long climbs and proper long descents. Only takes me about 40 mins more than the red anyway and feels like you get so much more for your money.

I did Glentress yesterday in the sunshine, definitely beats working! 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Hmm – I am just wondering now if I should attempt this next Thursday! Sorely tempted now!

jimmy

Inners is the most difficult.

shurrup!

ahwiles
    Free Member

and Charlie, you say you’ve already ridden the red trail, i’d say that’s as good a reason as any to have a look at the black…

fewer jumps, fewer berms, more drifty flat corners, more ‘wheels on the ground’ stuff. I’d say the 2 trails complement each other beautifully.

bikes are ace.

bumbly1
    Free Member

Charlie, are you from NI and were with a mate? If that was you then it was me that suggested Inners but as I recall there was a time restraint too. Glad you enjoyed them. 🙂
    Tom

Smee
    Free Member

Jimmy – Eh No. Inners has the longer climb and is more technical. I’ve ridden them all once or twice. 😉

PJ266
    Free Member

I think the blacks most difficult, far more demanding fitness wise and although not as jumpy/droppy as caddon bank some of the descents on the black are pretty hard going! especially on a hardtail.

Also, the climb up the tower rig (i think thats what its called, the one upto the first hut) makes innerleithen’s climb look like a piece of cake, not to mention the deliverance climb 😉

jwt
    Free Member

Rode the black some considearable time ago, but on subsequent visits decieded to do the red twice instead…………….

Northwind

I love the black myself, only done it once mind but I was really impressed, the boundary trail, goat track and deliverance are classic bits of trail. And nicely worn in too, so it’s not got that industrially built feeling of the red. Agreed that most of it isn’t very black but still, I love it, it’s more like an amazing local loop than a trail centre route to me.

(but admittedly, I did bottle the wormhole and one of the other sections as I’m hopeless at steps, I’ll give everything else a go but they put the wind right up me… I had to get off and walk the double step at innerleithen too)

charliemort

Tom – no, from Kent………..

we were a group of 4(2 blokes 2 girls) chatted to a couple of guys at Kirroughtree who reckon Ineers and Glentrees Red might be a better optionthan Glentress Black for the 1 day we had

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Glentress Black’ is closed to new replies.